Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

I expected social unrest at some point last summer but the response to this has been much more supine than I expected tbh.

I don't expect - and take that with a shovel of salt given the above - anything significant to happen this year either. Lockdown-breaking illegal gatherings/'raves' (for some reason it's always a 'rave' being broken up) will steadily tick up but unless the police go in heavy-handed and make a total arse of it then more widespread discontent seems unlikely.

The months of utterly risible, non-stop lockdown propaganda featuring sad nurses and weepy patients has seen to that as well. 

Surely discontent will ramp up if there are still considerable restrictions following vaccination? I for one am planning to be over to my parent's house for dinner once we've been jabbed, regardless of the government's recommendation at the time.

3 minutes ago, David W said:

Surely discontent will ramp up if there are still considerable restrictions following vaccination? I for one am planning to be over to my parent's house for dinner once we've been jabbed, regardless of the government's recommendation at the time.

The thing is, during mid-late summer, this will be 'allowed' anyway, vaccination or not. For me, the problem comes when respiratory infections pick up again as we enter October, despite us being vaccinated against Covid, and the vulnerable getting boosters if required. We simply cannot afford restrictions to be re-imposed during autumn and winter 'just in case' and because more people will get ill and die during this period.

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Most of the “rebellion” won’t occur through the medium of actual civil disobedience, but more through people just quietly losing interest in the rules and hosting small household gatherings with family and friends.

I suspect you're right and also most people will simply forget it ever happened and vote the tories back in and f**k over the nhs that they stood and clapped for on their doorsteps.

Get angry until their own needs are met.

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I suspect you're right and also most people will simply forget it ever happened and vote the tories back in and f**k over the nhs that they stood and clapped for on their doorsteps.

Get angry until their own needs are met.

You do realise it’s the SNP that are imposing these restrictions in Scotland?

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Popped into Livingston this afternoon to pick something up and had to beat a retreat and go back later, it was bedlam. Cars everywhere, long queues everywhere to get into shops and even Starbucks when I went past had at least 30 cars waiting at the drive through.

People have had enough.

Other than Asda and Starbucks, what is  actually open up there that’s causing the bedlam and queues? 

Missus and I broke the rules, left our council area and went through to the IKEA at Loanhead to pick up stuff we’d ordered which was a very good example of a click & collect service I might add. Wasn’t particularly busy and very swift. After we left Loanhead we broke the rules again and went to the Costa drive-through at Hermiston Gait which had a ridiculously long queue backing up onto the main road into the retail park. I imagine this particular Costa drive-through will cause utter bedlam whenever some sort of normality returns. We then made our way back to our own council area.

Other than Asda and Starbucks, what is  actually open up there that’s causing the bedlam and queues? 
Missus and I broke the rules, left our council area and went through to the IKEA at Loanhead to pick up stuff we’d ordered which was a very good example of a click & collect service I might add. Wasn’t particularly busy and very swift. After we left Loanhead we broke the rules again and went to the Costa drive-through at Hermiston Gait which had a ridiculously long queue backing up onto the main road into the retail park. I imagine this particular Costa drive-through will cause utter bedlam whenever some sort of normality returns. We then made our way back to our own council area.

Asda, Sainsbury/Argos, Morrisons, Aldi, B&M, The Range, Dunelm, Starbucks that's stand alone units off the top of my head, and of course McDonald's, KFC etc. Places open inside the shopping centre as well.

BTP jobsworths questioning folk for having the temerity to use the highly efficient, empty and therefore minimal risk train service to move around Inverclyde will likely prove my personal heads' home tipping point. It is a far safer transport option in this area compared to buses - that are subject to no inquisition of passengers nor any credible enforcement measures, and whose depots are directly linked to outbreaks elsewhere in the country. 

The fact that the local IFR is lower than at any time since the plague factories opened in August and are fully 1/10th of what it was after Christmas renders the emergency emergency mutant variant excuse invalid in any case.

Edited by vikingTON

Texted my sister today.  She is in her mid 60s and has some underlying health issues which could be compromised if got Covid.

I told her that I had now had my second injection due to my job and asked if she had got hers yet.

She replied..."I refused mine two weeks ago. Well postponed it until I’m sure if they work or not. Might be forced to take if I need it to get anywhere."

So, she is not going to take it on health grounds for herself as does not trust the science...yet

No mention of the fact she might consider it as might reduce the chance of passing it on to her husband who has  underlying conditions relating to his heart and blood pressure for last 5 years. 

No mention if considering it to lessen the chance of passing it on to her daughter and 3 month grandchild (who had a complicated pregnancy and aftermath)  when they break lockdown and visit.

No mention of her considering to lessen the chance of passing it on to her 80yr old mother in law (even though she has been vaccinated) when she visits/stays over (which if truth be told is stretching the caring responsibilities exemption a bit).

No mention of considering taking it to lessen the chance of passing it on to the very vulnerable clients she works with (even if they have been vaccinated) who she will be doing home visits to or seeing in her office once restrictions are lifted.

But she will take it if it stops her going on holiday  for a week sometime in the future????

I did ask her to elaborate on "if they work or not" as would be interested to see what she said and where she was getting her information from and what evidence that is not already out there would convince her to change her mind, but as yet have had no reply.

I should not be surprised as we do not really discuss big issues or current affairs much since she is a Daily Mail/Scottish Tory/Brexiteer/ex civil servant/married to retired policeman type and I am a  gobsh!te.

Edited by Sugar_Army

Given that the much tighter spring 2020 lockdown only reduced the R rate to about 0.6-0.7, we can safely file all those claims about the super-infectious UK variant in the bin then. You just do not get such a collapse in cases if what governments claimed about the much more infectious variant in the build-up to Christmas was even remotely accurate.

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

BTP jobsworths questioning folk for having the temerity to use the highly efficient, empty and therefore minimal risk train service to move around Inverclyde will likely prove my personal heads' home tipping point.

The Inverclyde branch have have been regularly quizzing passengers in company liveried vehicles and uniform (as well as people in regular vehicles/dress) on the boat between Wemyss Bay and Bute as to the purpose of their journey. “Work, obviously” being the generic reply in 99% of instances one would imagine. 

50 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

And there was me blaming Saughton Prison for Edinburgh's slight rise when it's actually all your fault, ya disease spreading swine!

15 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The Inverclyde branch have have been regularly quizzing passengers in company liveried vehicles and uniform (as well as people in regular vehicles/dress) on the boat between Wemyss Bay and Bute as to the purpose of their journey. “Work, obviously” being the generic reply in 99% of instances one would imagine. 

The worst part is that there's not even an Inverclyde base for BTP, so those jobsworths are actually travelling from much higher infection areas like Paisley or Kilwinning into a low infection area themselves to conduct this absolutely pointless exercise. 

'Essential travel' indeed!

Edited by vikingTON

23 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Great to see, but I do truly hope their 'green passport' is only a temporary thing which lasts six months, as reported. Medium to long term it would just be dystopian once there is clear population coverage anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/20/ban-on-outside-sport-can-end-top-scientist-urges-johnson

With the prime minister expected to take a cautious approach to lifting restrictions in a statement to the House of Commons on Monday, Prof Mark Woolhouse of Edinburgh University, whose work feeds into the Sage committee’s sub-group Spi-M, said the data showed there was no need for the government to be “ultra-cautious”.

“The government has said the country’s exit from lockdown should be data-driven. Well, the data is extremely good, far better than anyone, including me, anticipated two or three weeks ago,” said Woolhouse. “Hospitalisations, deaths, and case numbers have all plunged while vaccinations have already reached a quarter of the adult population.

“The corollary is that if we plan to ease lockdown in a data-driven way, we should right now be looking at starting the process of coming out of lockdown earlier than we were thinking about two or three weeks ago. The data drive has to go both ways.”

Needless to say The Observer soon 'balanced' this welcome, rational view with the usual knicker-wetting hysteria from the other side, but at least it's getting an airing now. 

So much for The Science being in lockstep agreement behind the Zero Covid fantasist viewpoint.

Edited by vikingTON

4 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

This is good to see. They do seem to be taking it slowly though. Vaccine passports will be controversial if they bring them in here. Something something free born Englishman. It would be extremely out of order to bring in something like that before everyone has been offered a jag. 

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Admittedly I haven't read much about the boosters that are supposed to be happening every year. Is it just the elderly/vulnerable that will be getting them or everybody? 

Not sure this has been confirmed. I suppose it might depend on various factors - if the variant were to be extremely effective at escaping the virus, I would hope they'd be offered to everyone. Surely we'll be keeping the infrastructure in a state of readiness for this.