Coronavirus (COVID-19)

62E3EC1E-E5D5-4AC8-AFE0-F51F56152755.jpeg.de332bf2ce0fa4ad01db187bcf14c4a9.jpeg
Yet another example of the supreme pointlessness of the UK’s current border policy. The handful of travellers from a country with a handful of scary variant cases like Panama or Lesotho? Straight into a hotel for a fortnight.  
Nice, cuddly neighbouring France? In you come. 
I said this at the time - criticism of the Scottish Government’s policy is valid if you don’t believe variants will become a problem,  but it would be pretty effective at preventing new cases arriving in the country. You either quarantine everyone or nobody, because shock horror - variants travel. 

Edited by Paco

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

62E3EC1E-E5D5-4AC8-AFE0-F51F56152755.jpeg

Yet another example of the supreme pointlessness of the UK’s current border policy. The handful of travellers from a country with a handful of scary variant cases from somewhere like Panama or Lesotho? Straight into a hotel for a fortnight.  

Nice, cuddly neighbouring France? In you come. 

I said this at the time - criticism of the Scottish Government’s policy is valid if you don’t believe variants will become a problem,  but it would be pretty effective at preventing new cases arriving in the country. You either quarantine everyone or nobody, because shock horror - variants travel. 

Whitty mewling about VArIaNtS! What a loser. 

Edited by madwullie

Remember the resulting chaos when France banned all travel from Britain in response to the Kent variant? There's your answer as to why we aren't banning all travel from France. 

At any rate, per the article, 68% of all travellers from France are exempt from quarantine based on occupation. They should however be showing negative tests before leaving or at a minimum be tested on arrival in the UK. 

Still, at least concern is over the SA and Brazil variants that France has seemingly had a nightmare at keeping out and not the as-of-yet-undiscovered Boulonge-sur-Mer variant. 

Edited by Michael W

14 hours ago, Donathan said:

Disappointing to see Gregor Smith joining forces with Sridhar to pen an article for CNN promoting a Zero Covid approach. Out of all the SG government briefing regulars, Smith is the one that's had the least to say on the matter in recent months and he often discussed his love of live music and sport on social media so I was under the impression that behind the scenes in Edinburgh, he'd be the one championing a move away from Zero Covid, especially given the views of his counterpart Chris Whitty.

It is particularly noticeable that the CMO of England and the CMO of Scotland are now openly championing different approaches.

Scotland aiming for zero covid when we have what is basically an open border with a country not going for zero covid is just fucking stupid. It is completely unachievable in those circumstances.

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Wait, didn't the most deadly pandemic in history, the Black Death spread through flea bites?

Whilst he is *technically* correct that it is zoonotic in it's origin, his overarching point is fucking nonsense. I fail to see how quinoa would have stopped fleas biting rats and then people.

Stick to making dreamy techno-pop you wee creepy oddball.

Edited by djchapsticks

Tbh, I hope the EU arent digging a grave for the independence campaign. Giving how linked the two are, this isnt a good look at all.

Focus should be on increasing production by whatever means neccessary. I find it hard to believe there arent facilities that could produce under licence.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbh, I hope the EU arent digging a grave for the independence campaign. Giving how linked the two are, this isnt a good look at all.

Focus should be on increasing production by whatever means neccessary. I find it hard to believe there arent facilities that could produce under licence.

If there aren't, then we need to start building them. Even if the West is vaccinated by Autumn 2021, the rest of the world is still gonna need it.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If it were that easy, we'd be doing it now. This unfortunately isn't like switching your facilities to make PPE and face masks. 

The Novavax vaccine will be produced in Livingston but it's not yet approved and I don't think is expected to have the first doses ready to go until later this year at the earliest. 

Wouldn’t be the worst thing if this saga highlights that we’re staying in lockdown for months longer than necessary so the shareholders of Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna et all can make more money.

We’ll look back on this as fucking bonkers.

First example of failure being rewarded via the creation of a nice new public sector department and a nice little gig leading it. 

Harries ought to be chased from public office ASAP for her handling of this and forever shunned. 

Edited by Michael W