Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes the decrease in hospital numbers is great to see.

On 1st March it was 824. Today 215.

I make that a 74% reduction in just one month. Marvellous.

My word.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes the decrease in hospital numbers is great to see.

On 1st March it was 824. Today 215.

I make that a 74% reduction in just one month. Marvellous.

I recon we will be in zero deaths for most days within a fortnight too

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

If that %age change in hospital numbers is sustained, we will drop below 100 in hospital a week tomorrow.

I made it the 20th of April yesterday, based on around 25% reduction per week. It would take a huge acceleration in weekly decrease to get to 100 in 8 days.

"Long Covid" is the classic go to whenever things are going well.

Variants were tried - busted flush - so back to Long Covid now to justify the elongated exit along the roadmap.

Not because of any conspiracy, but because there is no point now in saying "lol everything we've done probably made little difference" 

Reckon we are mere months away from a number of experts being chucked under the bus in the greatest display of face saving and track covering ever witnessed. The antics of the likes of Sridhar and Leitch would make this incredibly easy.

Edited by Todd_is_God

47 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:
I've got 3 beer gardens booked over the first 2 weekends. Will do walk ups as well. Back in the gym from day one too.
^^^ just wants a pint

Booking for a pint that can only be drunk in a beer garden at an allotted time just shows how far from normal things like pubs are going to be. I will be giving all that a wide berth until it's punted and pubs are back to normal. If people flock to them with these sort of restrictions still in place I suspect it's simply going to prolong the whole circus but as you did point out you just want a pint which is if course fine.

Pubs beer gardens are best avoided for a while after they open.   They'll be like the Friday before xmas with all of the part time drinkers etc.  

Case numbers seem to have finally fallen this week too. Not that they’re as important as they once were at this stage, but certainly there’ll still be a correlation between cases and hospitalisations in the unvaccinated. Probably not translating into many deaths, but this will only keep improving as we start working through vaccinating the 40-49 age group. I think to be honest at current pace that won’t be too far off beginning properly by mid-April, which was about the initial target. The better news is that over 30% of them are already done due to being picked up in other groups.

It’s something that’s hard to quantify nationally but the government should have an idea - the numbers in hospital with a positive test are bound to include some who just happen to have tested positive having went in with a heart attack, a stroke, a car crash. Covid is not the reason for their hospital stay. This will have always been the case, of course, but during crises like last April and January it was fine, a crude positive test measurement did the job. We’ll never hit zero as long as we test every admission (which is the right thing to do) so I hope there’s at least a high-level distinction between the two things in government data.

Everything is better than we could’ve imagined at this stage to be honest. The lockdown has been shite but we’re nearly there.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Long Covid" is the classic go to whenever things are going well.

Variants were tried - busted flush - so back to Long Covid now to justify the elongated exit along the roadmap.

Not because of any conspiracy, but because there is no point now in saying "lol everything we've done probably made little difference" 

Yep. 'Long Covid' doesn't mean you actually have Covid.  It's those pushing that narrative would like to convince us that it does.  I know folk who had it in December and their sense of smell is only just returning.  It doesn't mean they still fucking have it.   It's worrying that it's been allowed to go basically unchallenged.

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There has been a somewhat sneering attitude from some here regards those in the populace who are over-cautious - that they are just "Helen Lovejoys".

Yes there will be drama queens who overplay things or hypocrites who moan about park parties whilst inviting their Facebook maws round for drinks - it happens - but I don't particularly think that they are the majority of the over-cautious.

We should not be surprised when we have governments and the MSM for the past year constantly pumping out the worst case scenario - it should be no surprise that some people genuinely are afraid. It's only recently that the news agenda seems to have shifted but even then we are still getting the overblown negative stories.

And why the hell is our public broadcaster still indulging the likes independent SAGE?

The MSM have a lot to answer for but I have no sympathy at all for people like my Aunt who has brought into the project fear. She’s been vaccinated but still won’t leave her front door without worrying or wearing a mask to walk up the street to see her sister. I think in the early days some people believed they’d step outside breath in fresh air and die. Rather than using their brain and seeing that A - it wasn’t happening and B - 99% of deaths were in people who were elderly/underlying health conditions or extremely obese , they believed if they walked past a stranger for half a second they’d catch it. If these people want to be like that then so be it, but open the world up to those who want to live rather than exist 

3 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Did i pick up correctly that as it's the Bank Holiday weekend we won't see hospital number updates till Tuesday next week? If so i'm hoping for a nice sub 200 in hospital and mid-high teens in ICU.

Aye, they're only putting out figures for cases, percentage positive and deaths over the long weekend - the hospital figures will be back on Tuesday (though they will also provide backdated figures for Friday-Monday).

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

When will testing and self-isolation stop being a thing? Who is going to bother their arse when 90% of the UK population is vaccinated? I get the Government and their pals need to make the most of the money they have spunked away, but surely it will only be hypochondriacs/attention seekers continuing to seek out tests come that point.

The mobile testing unit in south Ayrshire are continuing for months yet. I’d imagine the drive through one at Prestwick airport will be there for the rest of 2021 at least. Personally I’d ditch testing like this once  the elderly/vulnerable have been double vaccinated. Spunking thousands a day to test folk that might have a wee cough and need to stay in bed for a day is insane 

Got to laugh at “long covid” getting people’s knickers wet. Years ago when I had post viral fatigue for a year after chickenpox I was called a drama queen by some people. Same with those who’ve had ME/CFS it was deemed to be all in the head by the media for years. Yet long covid is given a free pass to keep up the charade of restrictions being in place 

The hospital numbers aren't that much different this week but 1.8% test positivity is great. That's another measure that says 4 more weeks of no gyms and going for a pint are unnecessary. The good weather coming in with f**k all to do (legally) is going to push a lot of buttons.

That will be their problem, though. I'm pretty sure many will quickly change their tune once things open up and people are back to enjoying them whilst they are staying safely at home. Or when the option to sit at home being kept afloat by Her Majesty's Government dries up. Or that if they want to grab a quick pint with their mates then, despite being absolutely fine, they are reliant on passing a test which, if it comes back positive, means not only that they won't be getting a pint, but also no wages for 10 days.
Some people might be hesitant at first, but (assuming all goes to plan) I can't imagine there being anyone still panicking about the fact people aren't wearing masks or keeping 2m apart by the start of 2022.
And if there are, then they will simply be left behind.
We say it will be their problem which most of us agree should be the position but if that number is way more than we think then it might not be. If there are opportunities arising from "bending" to a large enough % who have changed for keeps then there will be those in society willing to accept and even exploit it.

If for an example a BnB owner thinks they can appeal to a "scared shitless" element and make increased profits by charging more for a "covid secure" stay I'm pretty sure some will exploit that. Likewise we may see certain (quiet anyway) midweek nights at cinemas given over to a guaranteed socially distanced audience. I really wouldn't underestimate how this might permeate into society longer term.

If folk are sceptic over returning to even a 'new normal' then that's absolutely fine. They can choose to be like that. However that should not in any way impact the ability of my mates and I to go to the football, have a game of fives or spontaneously decide to go for a night in the pub or snooker hall.
When the vulnerable groups have all been vaccinated and thus Covid has been reduced to something that will affect the country no more than a bad cold / flu season would then all restrictions should be lifted.
I'm not saying for a minute it should or will but I can see some businesses being adapted to exploit it.