Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've got 3 beer gardens booked over the first 2 weekends. Will do walk ups as well. Back in the gym from day one too.
^^^ just wants a pint
Booking for a pint that can only be drunk in a beer garden at an allotted time just shows how far from normal things like pubs are going to be. I will be giving all that a wide berth until it's punted and pubs are back to normal. If people flock to them with these sort of restrictions still in place I suspect it's simply going to prolong the whole circus but as you did point out you just want a pint which is if course fine.

The press seem to be getting a hard on for long Covid at the moment but yet to here them mention that the SG has already budgeted for this work and shouldn't be a cause for concern for the general population.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

The press seem to be getting a hard on for long Covid at the moment but yet to here them mention that the SG has already budgeted for this work and shouldn't be a cause for concern for the general population.

The evidence on the variants isn’t going the way they’d like it to, so the long Covid card gets pulled out, based on half arsed anecdotal data.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The ONS using a Hypochondriac's Charter of self-reporting drivel to produce 'statistical data' on 'long Covid' here. 

Fit for the bin and nowhere else. 

My wife thinks she has long COVID from March 2020 because she is struggling when out on walks, rwther than the more obvious explanation that she has barely left the house in 4 months over winter and forgets we were doing Munros between July and October.

She would absolutely put herself down as having it.

See all this chat about a possible underestimation of folk who have been changed by this and actually don't want normal back, thats all well and good. The should be free to do so.

The issue remains, normal is being prohibited by actual laws.

GET IT OUT OF FUCKING LAW AND LET FOLK CHOOSE!

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

There hasn't been a new variant to announce, so there has to be something to punt. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

See all this chat about a possible underestimation of folk who have been changed by this and actually don't want normal back, thats all well and good. The should be free to do so.

The issue remains, normal is being prohibited by actual laws.

GET IT OUT OF FUCKING LAW AND LET FOLK CHOOSE!

I think we're actually saving up for a massive problem further down the road, This social distancing pish - the idea that we should treat literally  everyone we see as if they're a leper , will surely have serious adverse effects on peoples mental health and wellbeing. Especially for the developement children and young people.  I don't mean by that that it will make people get a bit sad and down, I mean that longer term it will actual cause behavioural and anger problems . it's completely unnatural.

Scottish numbers: 1 April 2021

Summary

• 400 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 25,956 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 1.8% of these were positive
  • 8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
  • 21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 215 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 2,493,327 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 399,062 have received their second dose

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Scottish numbers: 1 April 2021

Summary

• 400 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 25,956 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 1.8% of these were positive
  • 8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
  • 21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 215 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 2,493,327 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 399,062 have received their second dose

f**k it, party in the smokers lounge.

the school kids, they can have theirs behind the bike sheds as per tradition

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm not saying the public are right or wrong but as it stands thousands of people a day are actively looking to be tested. Couple that with the T&T report findings in England today that claims only 1 in 5 with symptoms in England actually get a test which seems at odds with the number actually being tested. Presumably Scotland isn't too dissimilar.

I think you might be surprised just how deep the scepticism over a return to even a "new normal" is going to be amongst the public in general. We might move in circles that want to get back to how things were but a big old chunk of the population have been changed by this and for a good number it may be for keeps regardless of how alien a concept that may seem to those who are gagging for it to fully end. There's nowt as queer as folk as the old saying goes more so in a country like the UK where in general the population are conservative with a capital C. Whether society in general bends to that cohort will depend solely on how big it proves to be but you can see simply from anecdotal evidence on here how many people have been scarred by this, it might just prove too many for them simply to be classified as cranks and cast asunder.

That will be their problem, though. I'm pretty sure many will quickly change their tune once things open up and people are back to enjoying them whilst they are staying safely at home. Or when the option to sit at home being kept afloat by Her Majesty's Government dries up. Or that if they want to grab a quick pint with their mates then, despite being absolutely fine, they are reliant on passing a test which, if it comes back positive, means not only that they won't be getting a pint, but also no wages for 10 days.

Some people might be hesitant at first, but (assuming all goes to plan) I can't imagine there being anyone still panicking about the fact people aren't wearing masks or keeping 2m apart by the start of 2022.

And if there are, then they will simply be left behind.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

There's something like 10-15 less folk in hospital with it a day at the moment.  Lovely stuff.

Yes the decrease in hospital numbers is great to see.

On 1st March it was 824. Today 215.

I make that a 74% reduction in just one month. Marvellous.

Edit to add ICU number down by 70% over the same period (71 down to 21).

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm not saying the public are right or wrong but as it stands thousands of people a day are actively looking to be tested. Couple that with the T&T report findings in England today that claims only 1 in 5 with symptoms in England actually get a test which seems at odds with the number actually being tested. Presumably Scotland isn't too dissimilar.

I think you might be surprised just how deep the scepticism over a return to even a "new normal" is going to be amongst the public in general. We might move in circles that want to get back to how things were but a big old chunk of the population have been changed by this and for a good number it may be for keeps regardless of how alien a concept that may seem to those who are gagging for it to fully end. There's nowt as queer as folk as the old saying goes more so in a country like the UK where in general the population are conservative with a capital C. Whether society in general bends to that cohort will depend solely on how big it proves to be but you can see simply from anecdotal evidence on here how many people have been scarred by this, it might just prove too many for them simply to be classified as cranks and cast asunder.

If folk are sceptic over returning to even a 'new normal' then that's absolutely fine. They can choose to be like that. However that should not in any way impact the ability of my mates and I to go to the football, have a game of fives or spontaneously decide to go for a night in the pub or snooker hall.

When the vulnerable groups have all been vaccinated and thus Covid has been reduced to something that will affect the country no more than a bad cold / flu season would then all restrictions should be lifted.

Edited by Gaz