Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Any recommendations for somewhere to book or just turn up for the England Scotland game in June? I'm going but highly doubt there will be any fan zones where we can watch the game outside so will most likely be a scramble for the pubs with TVs. 

I'm biased but I really hope Quinn's in Camden (where London Hibs watch televised games) will be back open, as it's wonderfully old school and a good atmosphere when there's a big game on.

There are some hilarious Trip Advisor reviews of horrified gentrifiers not liking the macabre decor:

387797661_Screenshot2021-04-01at17_38_46.thumb.png.a42d2a5c8fa70ce0d70d91f749cd459d.png

This one was actually posted on the day Hibs won the Scottish Cup, so I like to imagine that it was written by a very unimpressed London Bear who got lost.

Oh and, if it wasn't obvious from the above, they won't be taking bookings.

Edited by HibsFan

Would love to see them taking legal action against devi and the liars. 
And in the context (public health, medically approved, publicly available test data and approval) they would absolutely win against people in COVID response positions saying really harmful and stupid lies (Hiya Devi, f**k off and take Jason with you)

Anyone catch what that fuckwit Leitch said on Clyde 1? I had a look on Twitter but all I can see is that he said something along the lines of “look what happened in France when they opened up too soon”. Now if he’s actually comparing us with France then he’s stooped even lower than I thought was possible. A nation that has written off a vaccine that works and is dealing with the consequences of that is not in anyway shape or form similar to us. 

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm not saying the public are right or wrong but as it stands thousands of people a day are actively looking to be tested. Couple that with the T&T report findings in England today that claims only 1 in 5 with symptoms in England actually get a test which seems at odds with the number actually being tested. Presumably Scotland isn't too dissimilar.

I think you might be surprised just how deep the scepticism over a return to even a "new normal" is going to be amongst the public in general. We might move in circles that want to get back to how things were but a big old chunk of the population have been changed by this and for a good number it may be for keeps regardless of how alien a concept that may seem to those who are gagging for it to fully end. There's nowt as queer as folk as the old saying goes more so in a country like the UK where in general the population are conservative with a capital C. Whether society in general bends to that cohort will depend solely on how big it proves to be but you can see simply from anecdotal evidence on here how many people have been scarred by this, it might just prove too many for them simply to be classified as cranks and cast asunder.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Gaz said:
If folk are sceptic over returning to even a 'new normal' then that's absolutely fine. They can choose to be like that. However that should not in any way impact the ability of my mates and I to go to the football, have a game of fives or spontaneously decide to go for a night in the pub or snooker hall.
When the vulnerable groups have all been vaccinated and thus Covid has been reduced to something that will affect the country no more than a bad cold / flu season would then all restrictions should be lifted.

I'm not saying for a minute it should or will but I can see some businesses being adapted to exploit it.

As has been said by others, people can do what they want, so long as it's faded into the background and not impacting the daily life of others wanting to get on. Once all this pantomime is taken out of law, that's it over. Businesses looking to cater to hypochondriacs will soon be left behind.

22 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, anotherchance said:
There hasn't been nearly enough fanfare or appreciation of them and it'll only be once we can properly take stock that it'll kick in how astonishing the advances and achievements have been.
As is often the case in life, the ones more interested in getting themselves noticed and who shout the loudest get the high praise, rather than those who get their heads down and do the actual work behind the scenes.

It must be incredibly infuriating the scientists who created the vaccine which is performing better than probably even they could have hoped for, yet we have absolute roasters like Devi Sridhar blatantly lying about how good it is to try and keep herself even remotely relevant that bit longer.

I was really hoping for Sarah Gilbert, Andrew Pollard, or someone else from the Oxford group to call her out on her disinformation.

47 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

No fault of your own and if everyone else is doing it then you're left with no choice, but just using it as a jumping off point to repeat something I've already said. Being required (or seeing so many others do it that you feel compelled) to book for a pub is a miserable existence of scheduled, organised fun and part of this "New Normal" that I despise.

If I want to decide at 8pm on a Thursday that I want to go out and meet some pals in a pub, I shouldn't need to have booked a month ago to make that a reality.

Thankfully London has plenty of fantastic independent boozers who would simply laugh and hang up the phone if you tried to book a table with them.

They'll be getting my custom later this month for sure. 2027579227_JackSloshed.png.918dc002f8b936a02ee8a04f9bf8a1b0.png

Yup - the lack of spontaneity over all aspects of life being caused by this shit is tragic.

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Anyone catch what that fuckwit Leitch said on Clyde 1? I had a look on Twitter but all I can see is that he said something along the lines of “look what happened in France when they opened up too soon”. Now if he’s actually comparing us with France then he’s stooped even lower than I thought was possible. A nation that has written off a vaccine that works and is dealing with the consequences of that is not in anyway shape or form similar to us. 

We don't call him clownshoes for nothing. 

This being the same France that has averaged 20k cases a day since mid January and had a much less restrictive lockdown, in addition to being well behind in the vaccine rollout. 

Can't wait until that wee nyaff is off the airwaves for good. Hopefully no later than the end of summer. 

9 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Does anyone have a link to his interview. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Matt Hancock now joining in with long covid scare day. 

Screenshot_20210401_161207_com.android.chrome.jpg

Again, it's really important to stress there's no grand conspiracy at play here and I don't believe in a "plandemic" or whatever nonsense the tinfoil hat brigade go on about.

However, this pivot to Long COVID was so utterly and tediously predictable that I've just searched the phrase in my messages to discovered that - lo and behold - a mate called it happening three months ago.

966882303_Screenshot2021-04-01at18_14_04.thumb.png.f742de0b5942edb52bc59db31fd6c67a.png

Feels to me that it's more "after failing to keep its citizens safe, the government tried to cover its arse by bringing in loads of serious-looking-but-ultimately-not-effective measures, which they now need to keep in place/justify to cover their arse for that decision too".

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Again, it's really important to stress there's no grand conspiracy at play here and I don't believe in a "plandemic" or whatever nonsense the tinfoil hat brigade go on about.

However, this pivot to Long COVID was so utterly and tediously predictable that I've just searched the phrase in my messages to discovered that - lo and behold - a mate called it happening three months ago.

966882303_Screenshot2021-04-01at18_14_04.thumb.png.f742de0b5942edb52bc59db31fd6c67a.png

Feels to me that it's more "after failing to keep its citizens safe, the government tried to cover its arse by bringing in loads of serious-looking-but-ultimately-not-effective measures, which they now need to keep in place/justify to cover their arse for that decision too".

So much of this has been governments scrambling to make it look like they are doing something and are 'in control of the virus', rather than simply communicating limitations and degrees of risk.

A complete and utter charade throughout.

Just now, Michael W said:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/government-set-to-plough-ahead-with-vaccine-passports-despite-resistance-from-mps-and-hospitality

In the sea with this shite . 

Let us never again hear of Johnson's "libertarian instincts". 

His primary instinct has always been cuddling up to people more wealthy than he is.

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

No fault of your own and if everyone else is doing it then you're left with no choice, but just using it as a jumping off point to repeat something I've already said. Being required (or seeing so many others do it that you feel compelled) to book for a pub is a miserable existence of scheduled, organised fun and part of this "New Normal" that I despise.

If I want to decide at 8pm on a Thursday that I want to go out and meet some pals in a pub, I shouldn't need to have booked a month ago to make that a reality.

Thankfully London has plenty of fantastic independent boozers who would simply laugh and hang up the phone if you tried to book a table with them.

They'll be getting my custom later this month for sure. 2027579227_JackSloshed.png.918dc002f8b936a02ee8a04f9bf8a1b0.png

Aye alright look at Mr Big Dick Spender here saying he's going for spontaneous pints in London town. 

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

So if my figures are right he's saying that 25% of people that have tested positive for Covid have long Covid?  Sounds legit.

No, because you don't need to have either tested positive or even have had Covid symptoms to still self-declare yourself as having 'long Covid' in the ONS survey. It's an utter crock of shite then. 

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep. 'Long Covid' doesn't mean you actually have Covid.  It's those pushing that narrative would like to convince us that it does.  I know folk who had it in December and their sense of smell is only just returning.  It doesn't mean they still fucking have it.   It's worrying that it's been allowed to go basically unchallenged.

I really don't think this is the case? Ive never seen it suggested even once that long covid means you still have it - rather the entire point is that you have lasting effects once you no longer have it. That's pretty common knowledge I thought?