Coronavirus (COVID-19)

In Spain you can go out to walk your dug.

A few folk got a hefty fine there recently after a sharp plod noticed the same dog being walked by different people in the space of a few hours. It transpired that the owner had been renting it out for €30 a pop to folk who needed an excuse to go for a walk

The shrieking hysterics about everyone having a big laugh outside already seem overdone: it's no longer sunny (at least here on the Clyde Riviera) and the streets are as dead as Rangers. I think a lot of it had to do with mixed messages from various levels of government, some spectacularly piss-poor timing of new curbs (going on at 5pm on a Friday and strongly advising pubs to close when they feel the time is right) and the first decent weather in six months. Those factors could combine again in the future but don't pose an everyday challenge: the state of the public transport network at peak times due to a ridiculous number of pointless businesses still being open does.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

A few folk got a hefty fine there recently after a sharp plod noticed the same dog being walked by different people in the space of a few hours. It transpired that the owner had been renting it out for €30 a pop to folk who needed an excuse to go for a walk

Poor dug. Must have been drinking gallons to keep up with the lamppost pishing routine. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The shrieking hysterics about everyone having a big laugh outside already seem overdone: it's no longer sunny (at least here on the Clyde Riviera) and the streets are as dead as Rangers. I think a lot of it had to do with mixed messages from various levels of government

I've heard that the Russian government has been taking severe steps and that the UK is considering following suit.

Russia.jpg

So Facebook tells me anyway, so must be true.

Just reading the stuff over in the USA, it's truly unbelievable, the individual states are actually bidding against one another for medical equipment such as respirators, ventilators and even oxygen which is putting the price up as the manufacturers are selling to the highest bidder.

Capitalism and the American dream at it's best.......

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've heard that the Russian government has been taking severe steps and that the UK is considering following suit.

Russia.jpg

So Facebook tells me anyway, so must be true.

I reckon they're lion

(I'll get my coat)

Things are very likely to get pretty serious in London hospitals in the next few days.

Seems the  UK built its response on a faulty assumption of the transmission rate of this disease so wasted a few weeks in delaying more serious shut downs. But everyone is blaming a people in parks over the weekend rather than the slow response from Westminister. 

On the other hand, Norway seems to only have linear growth at the moment. They have a reasonable chance of turning the corner. Germany also seems to think they are getting on top of the rate of growth. 

Good luck. 

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

The shrieking hysterics about everyone having a big laugh outside already seem overdone: it's no longer sunny (at least here on the Clyde Riviera) and the streets are as dead as Rangers. I think a lot of it had to do with mixed messages from various levels of government, some spectacularly piss-poor timing of new curbs (going on at 5pm on a Friday and strongly advising pubs to close when they feel the time is right) and the first decent weather in six months. Those factors could combine again in the future but don't pose an everyday challenge: the state of the public transport network at peak times due to a ridiculous number of pointless businesses still being open does.

I ordered a PS4 game from Currys/PC World via Click and Collect just before all this took off and had somewhat forgotten about it until I received an email today saying I could come in to the store to collect it. Why on earth are they still open? I phoned to ask if I could get it delivered instead, but they couldn't do it so I had to cancel the whole order. Am I f**k going to contribute to them keeping their shops open and pretending to be somehow essential. It should be supermarkets/corner shops, chemists and very little else at this point.

Edited by craigkillie

8 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Well legionnaires disease can be caught in a shower, unlikely in a park, since you ask.

I'm late here, probably been said already.

It has aye. I thought it would be fairly obvious I was talking about the contagious virus that is currently sweeping the world and named in the thread title, but at least 3 of you have tried to act the smart arse so I suppose that was naive of me.

6 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

We've just been brought into a meeting, masks have been ordered for all the site staff to continue work. Colleagues are walking around with scarfs over their mouths.

Close it all down this is fucking mental.

Hopefully you work in a brothel

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It has aye. I thought it would be fairly obvious I was talking about the contagious virus that is currently sweeping the world and named in the thread title, but at least 3 of you have tried to act the smart arse so I suppose that was naive of me.

You gave the 'smart arses' an open goal to be fair.

11 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Things are very likely to get pretty serious in London hospitals in the next few days.

Seems the  UK built its response on a faulty assumption of the transmission rate of this disease so wasted a few weeks in delaying more serious shut downs. But everyone is blaming a people in parks over the weekend rather than the slow response from Westminister. 

On the other hand, Norway seems to only have linear growth at the moment. They have a reasonable chance of turning the corner. Germany also seems to think they are getting on top of the rate of growth. 

Good luck. 

It's the media narrative, it reminds me of the Banking Crisis when the general public were attacking the young cashiers in the Banking halls because they were fed a narrative of "fat cat bankers living lavish lifestyles at our expense", when the "fat cats" in question were on £14k p/a and being treated like absolute sh*t by both their employers and the general public.

Typical deflection tactics that happen only too often in this country.