Coronavirus (COVID-19)

There are some longhaul destinations where there is absolutely no reason for them not being on the green list.

Take Grenada - just 161 cases of Covid-19 since the onset of the pandemic and zero new cases since February - yet is still on the amber list.

Closer to home there are 21 countries with a per 100,000 rate lower than the UK - but most are not on the green list - it's just crazy decision making.

12 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

They are saying that the people of Phuket will be 70% vaccinated by 1st July, reason they open up then.  In fact they have named 10 provinces that will be vaccinated first for tourism, they are Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Chon Buri, Phuket, Surat Thani, Krabi, Phangnga and Buri Ram.

A right big f**k you to the other 63 provinces.  This may change as the day goes on.  PM is doing a grand job at the moment, heads every meeting on every subject and calls the shots, reason it's changing by the hour.

No Rayong or Trat either. They hoping for an influx of Chinese tourists? Checked the ASQ in Phuket looks like you will  be around 2-3 grand out of pocket before you get released from quarantine.  I'm not even thinking of visiting till the quarantine is binned. I've got a cheap flight to Athens at end of month so just going to head east from there see where I end up. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jun/03/india-covid-variant-spreading-in-englands-schools-and-colleges-data-shows

The spread has got nothing to do with no longer making people wear masks and everything to do with the fact that respiratory viruses spread like wildfire in a school/grotty kids environment. 

Once again the entire population are being kept under unnecessary restrictions, people are losing their livelihoods and entire sectors of the economy are being trashed, all because UK governments refuse to address the elephant in the room, before turning around and facetiously expressing their concern about a third wave. 

For me i still think the footy will start as home fans only (which is why streaming will be allowed) and a % of total capacity. For most clubs i dont think it'll be too much of an issue as long as its a decent percentage of capacity - i think it is a real issue for the Old firm, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts as they consistently fill a greater proportion of their stadiums. For the like of my mob we have only been getting around 3.-4k and if it were home fans only, pre-booked tickets then there's no reason that we would have as much of a problem.

It's a nonsense really but until nearly all adults have the double dose i can't see them allowing much more. The sooner they ramp up the vaccines and hopefully bring in the second jag timescales the better.

22/23 to allow about 50 Arbroath fans into Somerset? Fcking wild [emoji23]

I have a load of mates that only go to the football for the days out like Ayr. They will be lost to the game if this is the case. But we just don’t know!

9 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

For me i still think the footy will start as home fans only (which is why streaming will be allowed) and a % of total capacity. For most clubs i dont think it'll be too much of an issue as long as its a decent percentage of capacity - i think it is a real issue for the Old firm, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts as they consistently fill a greater proportion of their stadiums. For the like of my mob we have only been getting around 3.-4k and if it were home fans only, pre-booked tickets then there's no reason that we would have as much of a problem.

It's a nonsense really but until nearly all adults have the double dose i can't see them allowing much more. The sooner they ramp up the vaccines and hopefully bring in the second jag timescales the better.

Not quite sure what more people having the vaccine would do if they are still moaning about variants.

Variants are never going to go away , by now after 18 months they should be able to live with that and have planned for that. Its a failure of leadership in every country that will become glaringly obvious as time goes on

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Not quite sure what more people having the vaccine would do if they are still moaning about variants.

Their whole argument about variants is that even though those that are yet to be vaccinated are less likely to get seriously ill, they have the potential to cause a lot of positive (and in most cases asymptomatic) results - the more the virus is able to spread the more chance that we end of with 'another' new mutation where they 'just don't know' about the effectiveness - that's why i think the number of folks vaccinated will be the driver (or at least the new one) in determining when things will really change.

Exactly. We could have 100% vaccine coverage but if they are going to maintain that every tiny mutation (we are now at a variant within a variant with this Nepal shit) might be vaccine evasive and impose / keep restrictions until each time it's proven otherwise then this is life for quite literally years to come.

36 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There are some longhaul destinations where there is absolutely no reason for them not being on the green list.

Take Grenada - just 161 cases of Covid-19 since the onset of the pandemic and zero new cases since February - yet is still on the amber list.

Closer to home there are 21 countries with a per 100,000 rate lower than the UK - but most are not on the green list - it's just crazy decision making.

The government doesn't want people going abroad on holiday. That's about the size of it. The green list was purposely short to give the illusion it would be possible and they've just removed the only country that was really accessible. 

Shapps trying to defend yesterday with this "Nepal variant", which is basically the Indian variant with an additional mutatation was a new low. 

Edited by Michael W

I am starting to feel that the scientists and the media are acting like some kind of doomsday cult.

"The end is nigh on Wednesday". Nothing happens. "Oh, I misread the signs. The end is nigh on Thursday" Nothing happens. "Same time tomorrow then"

"This variant spreads quickly and could be resistant. Lockdown, lockdown, lockdown"

Vaccine kicks its arse

"Ah but this variant. Lockdown, lockdown, lockdown"

Vaccine kicks its arse

"Ah, definitely this variant. We're all doomed.."

Repeat ad nauseum.

Michael O’Leary on Breakfast getting stuck into the talk of variants. I felt dirty for agreeing with him. 

But then no sooner was the interview over, the presenters were basically saying he was wrong and that the variants are a problem even for those fully vaccinated.

This nightmare is never ending, is it?

Michael O’Leary on Breakfast getting stuck into the talk of variants. I felt dirty for agreeing with him. 
But then no sooner was the interview over, the presenters were basically saying he was wrong and that the variants are a problem even for those fully vaccinated.
This nightmare is never ending, is it?
It was the same on GMB this morning. Richard Madeley (I know, I know) asked the resident expert (Dr Amir I think his name was) why we can't bin restrictions once everyone is double dosed.

The answer was a long winded version of "we just don't know". Basically the usual pish about possible variants which currently don't exist and might never exist.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It was the same on GMB this morning. Richard Madeley (I know, I know) asked the resident expert (Dr Amir I think his name was) why we can't bin restrictions once everyone is double dosed.

The answer was a long winded version of "we just don't know". Basically the usual pish about possible variants which currently don't exist and might never exist.

The 'expert' yeaterday morning made the completely unfounded statement that a rise in cases automatically leads to a rise in hospitalisation and a rise in deaths.  Completely ignoring the fact that the vaccines have broken this link. 

The statement went completely unchallenged, and millions of people listen to this and sub-consciously nod in agreement. 

My mum and dad....both in their 80's and double vaccinated.....have now ordered in test kits from the SG, so anyone visiting them can perform a self-test. Just in case. 

This madness will be with my parents until they shuffle off this mortal coil. They'll never be the people that they were 2 years ago.

It's sad, and desperate. And it makes me furious. 

46 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Their whole argument about variants is that even though those that are yet to be vaccinated are less likely to get seriously ill, they have the potential to cause a lot of positive (and in most cases asymptomatic) results - the more the virus is able to spread the more chance that we end of with 'another' new mutation where they 'just don't know' about the effectiveness - that's why i think the number of folks vaccinated will be the driver (or at least the new one) in determining when things will really change.

Their argument is a giant stack of nonsense though and they'll shift the goalposts yet again once all adults are vaccinated with 'vaccine evading variants' and 'booster shots needed!!!11!!!'.

The only way out is to huckle all the independent SAGE roasters and the Clownshoes in Chief out of the room and lock the door behind them to let the adults in the room make decisions.

Turned up early for my vaccine appointment but the Pfizer is late. 

Steady stream of people through the door mind you, and the 2nd doses of AZ are flying along. Just the young'uns waiting.

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has been notified via the NHS app that he has come into contact with someone who has coronavirus.

The senior Conservative had recently returned from Portugal after supporting Chelsea in the Champions League final.

Instead of self isolating for 10 days, Mr Gove will take daily Covid tests as part of a pilot scheme designed to measure testing effectiveness.

The exercise is aimed at finding safe alternatives to self-isolation.

Conservatives (+4)