Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I hope the facemasks go soon. My wife really struggles with them - in a supermarket she lasts about 10 minutes before she goes to sit back in the car. The mask makes her feel very hot and a bit faint.

She could always just not wear one. I've not seen anyone looked at twice for not wearing one without an exemption lanyard since late Summer last year,

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thank f**k NS has seen sense, binned is ‘new normal’ and all that utter shite. Get the isolation restrictions in the bin at this stage also. 
Ok as much as I want it all to end now, I can live with this timescale. Its not great, but its achievable. 

Can you live with the timescale when she ignores it and tells us to continue to self isolate to 'save Christmas'?

Edited by sparky88

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

As an advisory thing only.

They are gone in 6 weeks barring a disaster or unless someone can persuade me I've misread the publication.

Page 28 of the document

There are, however, some baseline measures which we currently expect to retain even as we
move beyond Level 0. These include:
• Good hand hygiene and surface cleaning.
• Continued promotion of good ventilation.
• Requirement for face coverings in certain settings (e.g. public transport, retail).
• Continued compliance with Test and Protect, including self-isolation when necessary.
• Ongoing need for outbreak management capability, including active surveillance.
• While we will work with business to support a phased return to office working from
level 0 onwards, we will continue to encourage a greater degree of working from home
than pre-COVID-19. Where this is possible and appropriate, it will not only assist with
controlling transmission of the virus, but also promote wellbeing more generally.

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I hope the facemasks go soon. My wife really struggles with them - in a supermarket she lasts about 10 minutes before she goes to sit back in the car. The mask makes her feel very hot and a bit faint. That, and it steams up her glasses. 

I am not keen on them either. I can live with them but all these "oh, it's just like taking your keys with you" folk can just...

FXwB.gif

Masks are dehumanising and probably useless.

I still see people walking about in the open air wearing them. Disgusting!!

Actually, I’m not too worried about the near future as once people see what’s happening in America and Europe, public opinion will kick in with a vengeance.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

all these "oh, it's just like taking your keys with you" folk can just...

FXwB.gif

I was told "you'll get used to them fairly quickly".  Over a year on and I still can't stand the things.  I'm forced to wear fancy antimicrobial snoods during work-related flights and they're the absolute worst.  I genuinely find sweating away in a one-piece survival suit with three layers underneath to be a luxury in comparison.   

He is such a little oddball of a man. Absolutely no ulterior motives for Green freaks wanting international travel in the gutter, no sir! Remember though, they claim to be internationalists and welcoming to immigrants!

Caroline Lucas as well, I wonder what it could be! They are practically peddling anti-vaxx material. Utter fucking cretins who need volleyed into the Sun.

14:51

Scrapping quarantine for double-vaccinated travellers 'reckless'

image.gif.202f305e9f5f38d92a4dfe1793031d24.gif
Copyright: PA Media

Scrapping quarantine restrictions for travellers who have been fully-vaccinated would be "reckless", a group of MPs has said.

Earlier, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said ministers were working on plans to allow quarantine-free travel from amber list countries for people who have had two doses of a coronavirus vaccine.

Currently travellers arriving from countries on the red or amber travel lists have to isolate for 10 days.

Caroline Lucas, vice-chairwoman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Coronavirus, said: “The Delta variant first arrived here in the UK precisely because of inadequate pre-travel requirements and health checks at UK arrival halls, compounded by a lack of support and enforcement of mandatory quarantine.

“Scrapping quarantine measures now would be reckless and risks squandering the hard-earned freedoms of the British public again, just like they did last summer."

image.gif

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

This bit is bullshit.  

• Continued compliance with Test and Protect, including self-isolation when necessary.

The document is very clear that the process for it will be adjusted - it's not going to be exactly as it is now.

"Decisions about future priorities for Test and Protect will be regularly reviewed in the light of the changing nature of the pandemic in Scotland and we will work closely with NHS Public Health teams and other NHS delivery partners to maintain public con dence and trust in our testing offer.

Contact tracing and testing of close contacts will continue as we move forward through the pandemic, including beyond Level 0. Test & Protect will change as the population becomes more protected by vaccination, but will still play a role in mitigating clusters and outbreaks where they arise, slowing infection spread and protecting populations at risk.

Evidence is emerging that the vaccination programme is having an effect on the link between infection and hospitalisations. As this evidence base develops, we will continue to review whether existing self-isolation requirements remain necessary and appropriate."

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

This bit is bullshit.  

And yeah, when is utter fucking nonsense like 'signing in' and leaving details in bars and restaurants etc being binned? Attempting to 'track and trace' endemic respiratory virus cases is an utter fucking nonsense . It's just another British obsession, like mass testing, because it looked good in East Asia.

23 minutes ago, Elixir said:

And yeah, when is utter fucking nonsense like 'signing in' and leaving details in bars and restaurants etc being binned? Attempting to 'track and trace' endemic respiratory virus cases is an utter fucking nonsense . It's just another British obsession, like mass testing, because it looked good in East Asia.

Or it worked in East Asia because they will actually follow the rules unlike here where folk look for any way they can to dodge them and feel special or that they are beating the system.

Good to at least see some light at the end of the tunnel - did they say if the dates were linked to a certain percentage of the population being double dosed?

Also, most of the talk over the past week on phone ins etc has been the danger to unvaccinated population.  Can anyone tell me who currently can not get the vaccine due to allergies, health conditions etc?  Following the approval for pregnant women and older children, it must be tiny sliver of the population who aren't able to get it.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Or it worked in East Asia because they will actually follow the rules unlike here where folk look for any way they can to dodge them and feel special or that they are beating the system.

'Unlike here'? As in, also like in Germany, which was the gold standard for the west which subsequently realised its futility and chucked it in the bin as a result?

22 minutes ago, Elixir said:

'Unlike here'? As in, also like in Germany, which was the gold standard for the west which subsequently realised its futility and chucked it in the bin as a result?

Here could stand in for all of the Western world if you want it to.

But also noting that the UK has been one of the worst performing countries and even with a vaccine lead it is now the comfortably counting the most infections in Europe.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

Tbf I do enjoy getting into the pub and seeing Fred West and Harold Shipman, amongst others, have nipped in for a pint before me

Is that still happening? I haven't signed in anywhere in ages [emoji2369]

2 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Can you live with the timescale when she ignores it and tells us to continue to self isolate to 'save Christmas'?

Do you actually have to ask that?

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

He is such a little oddball of a man. Absolutely no ulterior motives for Green freaks wanting international travel in the gutter, no sir! Remember though, they claim to be internationalists and welcoming to immigrants!

Caroline Lucas as well, I wonder what it could be! They are practically peddling anti-vaxx material. Utter fucking cretins who need volleyed into the Sun.

image.gif

I think given Patrick’s propensity to flout rules elsewhere his hand wringing here is absolutely not out of concern for spread of the virus and more about his desire to see the aviation sector destroyed.