Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Only if you willingly conflate asylum seekers with holiday makers.  It is possible to be in favour of people fleeing rape / torture / imprisonment or death crossing borders, whilst also not being in favour of people travelling when they don’t require to.  

The borders haven't only been closed to holiday makers though, and there's been plenty of situations where basic human compassion hasn't been shown and many on the left couldn't have given less of a f**k.

Treating people coming from abroad as probably being vectors of disease is no better than treating people coming from abroad as probably chancers who want to take your job.

A lot of this boils down to "I'm left wing so I couldn't possibly be racist" when in fact the narrative is very similar to the gammony, Brexity mob who they claim to despise.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

America is seriously taking the pish, this is all they'll need to avoid quarantine in the UK from Monday.

f3e993fe-c355-4b1f-b9f0-f3341c2e123d-COR

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2021/06/29/yes-some-people-really-are-faking-their-covid-vaccine-cards

Depends where you get it done. The Mrs got hers in Illinois, and she just gets a card, albeit it has a couple of printed stickers with the vax details rather than just handwritten. I went down to Indiana and I can stick my deets into the Indiana Public Health website and it’ll bring up a page confirming I was fully vaxxed as of 5th May. 

Just now, anotherchance said:

The borders haven't only been closed to holiday makers though, and there's been plenty of situations where basic human compassion hasn't been shown and many on the left couldn't have given less of a f**k.

Treating people coming from abroad as probably being vectors of disease is no better than treating people coming from abroad as probably chancers who want to take your job.

A lot of this boils down to "I'm left wing so I couldn't possibly be racist" when in fact the narrative is very similar to the gammony, Brexity mob who they claim to despise.

Are you suggesting that there should have been no restrictions on travel at all during the last 18 months?

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Are you suggesting that there should have been no restrictions on travel at all during the last 18 months?

I'm suggesting that screaming blue murder demanding restrictions on travel from an ivory tower, when it's someone else who can't see their dying loved one is encapsulates perfectly how many so called "progressives" have acted throughout the pandemic.

9 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

The entire pandemic has been treating everyone as a vector of disease.

That's why we were banned from visiting houses and sharing cars for months.

Just now, anotherchance said:

I'm suggesting that screaming blue murder demanding restrictions on travel from an ivory tower, when it's someone else who can't see their dying loved one is encapsulates perfectly how many so called "progressives" have acted throughout the pandemic.

Are we back to the lassie who went on a 10 day holiday in the Med rather than coming straight home to see her dying father again?

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

Are we back to the lassie who went on a 10 day holiday in the Med rather than coming straight home to see her dying father again?

Proving my point there - you've put the same tabloidy twist on it that the Daily Mail would when they see an asylum seeker with a decent mobile phone.

I'd imagine there's millions who've been unable to see their loved ones, who've missed time with their elderly relatives that they'll never get back - that's twice you've suggested that closing borders only affects people who just want a jolly.

12 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Depends where you get it done. The Mrs got hers in Illinois, and she just gets a card, albeit it has a couple of printed stickers with the vax details rather than just handwritten. I went down to Indiana and I can stick my deets into the Indiana Public Health website and it’ll bring up a page confirming I was fully vaxxed as of 5th May. 

The UK border force will probably just give up and let everyone through, unlike EU citizens with a QR code to scan, they'll have 57 varieties to check from crumpled cards to hand written doctor's letters.

The borders were effectively shut to holidaymakers between December and April. Going on holiday was illegal and anyone that was not a British national/resident would've had a a stinking time getting into the country without a good reason. 

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

The borders were effectively shut to holidaymakers between December and April. Going on holiday was illegal and anyone that was not a British national/resident would've had a a stinking time getting into the country without a good reason. 

Unless you were flying from India while the UK were trying to negotiate a trade treaty.

20 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Good points there regarding the hypocrisy by all sides.

You also need to remember that most of those people on boats in the channel are young men looking for a better life I.e. economic migrants.

6 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Proving my point there - you've put the same tabloidy twist on it that the Daily Mail would when they see an asylum seeker with a decent mobile phone.

I'd imagine there's millions who've been unable to see their loved ones, who've missed time with their elderly relatives that they'll never get back - that's twice you've suggested that closing borders only affects people who just want a jolly.

OK - reading for comprehension here.

I was suggesting that during the pandemic you could want borders closed for some (the vast majority) of people, but that didn’t mean that there aren’t exceptions to that.

Get it now?

Edited by Wee Bully

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Unless you were flying from India while the UK were trying to negotiate a trade treaty.

But they did not have free reign to enter the UK. It was not on the green list and non-residents would've encountered the same problems everyone else did. Arrivals were required to quarantine (at home most likely, given they were British residents) and negative tests were needed as a requirement of entry.  Pagel speaks of obligations, and the UK does indeed have obligations to these travellers as British nationals and residents, i. e.  not disallowing them from entering the country. 

By all means argue it should've been red listed sooner (a perfectly reasonable position) and that wasn't because of political reasons, but it wasn't the free for all some make it out to be. 

I'd politely suggest that given her previous comments on people arriving in the UK from abroad, Pagel should've wound her neck in on this one. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'd politely suggest that given her previous comments on people arriving in the UK from abroad, Pagel should've wound her neck in on this one. 

I've no idea who Pagel is, but I don't think arguing for covid travel restrictions should remove your right to speak up on behalf of refugees, if that's the issue. It's the kind of thing poor Tommy would use.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've no idea who Pagel is, but I don't think arguing for covid travel restrictions should remove your right to speak up on behalf of refugees, if that's the issue. It's the kind of thing poor Tommy would use.

If you accept Britain has obligations to refugees (and she does), you should also accept that Britain has obligations to its own nationals and residents that are returning to the country (which she was happy to disregard in the name of controlling the pandemic). I don't think the comparative lack of distress amongst the latter group should be a factor in this. 

42 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I really hope this isn’t just your personality, and will give you the benefit of the doubt that it’s just that this thread has clearly broken you and you could do with a step back for a bit. If not and this is just you as a person, then you’re really showing yourself up as a monumental c**t with this stuff.

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The UK border force will probably just give up and let everyone through, unlike EU citizens with a QR code to scan, they'll have 57 varieties to check from crumpled cards to hand written doctor's letters.

More than likely, however the UK is still very much on America’s shitlist and only ‘essential’ travel is being permitted, which should most likely keep the numbers pretty minimal. 

Edited by carpetmonster

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I really hope this isn’t just your personality, and will give you the benefit of the doubt that it’s just that this thread has clearly broken you and you could do with a step back for a bit. If not and this is just you as a person, then you’re really showing yourself up as a monumental c**t with this stuff.

Enjoy your night