Coronavirus (COVID-19)

53 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

OK - reading for comprehension here.

I was suggesting that during the pandemic you could want borders closed for some (the vast majority) of people, but that didn’t mean that there aren’t exceptions to that.

Get it now?

You should have said that then, rather than simply using “holiday makers” in your opening gambit.

Just now, anotherchance said:

You should have said that then, rather than simply using “holiday makers” in your opening gambit.

Why?  I’m including holiday makers as being at one end of the spectrum, and asylum seekers as being at the other.

Excellent UK cases update:   Even Northern Ireland may have turned corner.

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  376.5 to 353.5 down 6.11%, England 401.4 to 375.2 down 6.53%, Wales 167.5 to 165.9 down 0.96%, Northern Ireland  515.0 to 509.9  down 0.99%

So that's the UK down for 5 days in a row.  Scotland 23 days, Wales 7 days, England 5 days and Northern Ireland 2 days

Highest in UK now down to 861.8 (Middlesborough)

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

The EU is currently discussing whether to add the UK to the list of nations outside the EU that individual countries should lift their restrictions.

Keep an eye on an update on this page.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic_en#restrictions-on-travel-from-third-countries-to-the-eu

Who cares what they do, it's the tossers who are running the UK and Scotland which are screwing us all up with these idiotic rules and regulations on testing and quarantining, not to mention the ever changing advice on where you can and can't go even though the official figures don't justify any of their decisions.

Like Elixir and others I'm getting really sick of this now as can't see any way out of it, as if "variants" are the reason we're being given for not being allowed to travel, then I'm afraid that's us screwed and stuck in this island hell indefinitely.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Who cares what they do, it's the tossers who are running the UK and Scotland which are screwing us all up with these idiotic rules and regulations on testing and quarantining, not to mention the ever changing advice on where you can and can't go even though the official figures don't justify any of their decisions.

Like Elixir and others I'm getting really sick of this now as can't see any way out of it, as if "variants" are the reason we're being given for not being allowed to travel, then I'm afraid that's us screwed and stuck in this island hell indefinitely.

The EU is currently recommending their members do not allow foreign travel from the UK.

The only reason you can go to Spain or wherever is because each country can water down the recommendations. Ie Belgium says no, Italy says yes but quarantine for 5 days etc etc.

When the EU add us to the list (which includes the US) and our Vaccine Status is recognised then we will be able to travel freely into every EU country without having to take any tests etc. All you will need is your proof of vaccination and filling in a passenger locator form.

The Europeans actually have their own Traffic Light system.  However EVERYONE fully vaccinated can travel freely from a region even on their RED list.

The problem is returning home as you eloquently point out.  Why the home nations still insist on you being tested before you leave for home and after you get home is mind boggling.

A Vaccination "Passport" should be what it says on the tin and not need to be accompanied with a multitude of pointless testing.

Perhaps the solution is to not bother coming back.   Actually that sounds like a rather good idea for when i head to Tenerife.

Edited by superbigal

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

if "variants" are the reason we're being given for not being allowed to travel, then I'm afraid that's us screwed and stuck in this island hell indefinitely.

Take a step back for a second.

It’s all just politicking for the moment with a touch of caution to appease the Lovejoys till full reopening.

13 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

It’s all just politicking for the moment with a touch of caution to appease the Lovejoys till full reopening.

I know it is, but it's destroying the aviation industry, costing jobs and pissing off half of the population.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I know it is, but it's destroying the aviation industry, costing jobs and pissing off half of the population.

Yeah, but it's a strange time to get upset about it when travel has just got a whole lot easier.

THE PLACE TO BE!

Posted at 15:26

New South Wales sees record daily cases

b97b08b4-2a53-4409-8550-dbca70e3e59a.jpg
Copyright: EPA

Sydney is about to enter its sixth week of lockdown.

Meanwhile, in Australia, the state of New South Wales has recorded 239 new cases - the highest daily rise since the start of the pandemic.

Sydney is about to enter its sixth week of lockdown following a rise in cases there. People living in eight hot spots in the city have been ordered to wear masks outdoors and must stay within 5km of their homes.

New South Wales Police says it has asked for 300 military members to help enforce lockdown restrictions.

State Premier Gladys Berejiklian has warned that things are likely to get worse before they get better.

They'll need to start welding folk into their gaffs Wuhan-style to have any chance of stopping Delta. Payback from India for Australia's racist border policies. greggy.png

Edited by Elixir

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Ah! Yes, you're absolutely correct. All we need is a paper or digital copy of the EU Covid pass which gets QR read. 

Stupid Brexit!

Angry Comedy Bang Bang GIF

I'm so jealous. sob.png

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

US have a total ban on UK and EU visitors. AFAIK German citizens returning from the UK still have to quarantine. 

This is true, of course, but fully vaxxed US citizens can still come to Europe and return home without any shan tests. Likewise, someone fully vaccinated from say Germany or Poland could visit Spain, Italy, Croatia etc without any testing.

3 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Only if you willingly conflate asylum seekers with holiday makers.  It is possible to be in favour of people fleeing rape / torture / imprisonment or death crossing borders, whilst also not being in favour of people travelling when they don’t require to.  

In the year 2021, millions of people have family scattered across the world who couldn't see them even when domestic restrictions were lifted, simply because of some lines drawn on a map. If Scotland was an independent EU member state, we'd rightly be onboard with their freedom of movement. Get in the bin.

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Here's hoping. What worries me is the snakey Tory c**ts with their fingers in these pies. The testing profiteering is coining in ~£11 million every single day. Surely to f**k though the pressure will be sustained from the UK aviation and travel industries to get rid of this when it's not a requirement in competitor countries.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, but it's a strange time to get upset about it when travel has just got a whole lot easier.

I've been annoyed about it for a while but the mood music was along the lines that "summer would be better", "double jagged would likely have restriction free travel", etc, etc, however we're now heading for August and mandatory tests are still required for travel from Scotland whether we're double jagged or not.

Said tests are very costly and also a hell of a lot of additional hassle and to top it off there's rumours doing the rounds that Spain and others may be added to this ridiculous "amber+" list next week.

Over and above all of this we have NS proclaiming that "nobody should be travelling just now for leisure" and Van Tam only today telling us that "Autumn and Winter could be really bad" and that some restrictions may need to be reintroduced.

As I've said before, I really have no idea what the end game is, as if we can't get rid of the testing nonsense now, then we're unlikely EVER to get rid of it and if we "shouldn't be travelling for leisure just now", then pray tell Nicola when the Hell we're likely going to be able, if ever ???

What's even more disturbing is that there now seems a resigned acceptance to this by most of the population and our mainstream media and political opposition are either right behind it or unwilling to criticise, which is even worse.

I do appreciate that there's political games going on both between the UK and EU and UK and SG, however I'm really just scunnered with it all now, to say the least....

39 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

to top it off there's rumours doing the rounds that Spain and others may be added to this ridiculous "amber+" list next week.

Worth mentioning the Independet as well as some others were saying to the contrary that in fact the amber plus status is likely to be binned altogether.