Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, superbigal said:

This Scottish PCR tax. Ie one provider who has no competitors. How the f**k can that be acceptable?

I mean its not acceptable. They are purposefully pricing poor people out of travel. Rest, relaxation and getting away from home when you have a stressful job or personal circumstance is incredibly important and its good for the soul to have a wanderlust. Going away for me is about the only way I can have uninterrupted time off from work just now and given the winter we’re going to have with sickness bugs and cop26 etc im absolutely going to make the most of the next few months if i can. Its utterly shameful and arrogant of the Scottish Government to taktge position they have. 

I mean its not acceptable. They are purposefully pricing poor people out of travel. Rest, relaxation and getting away from home when you have a stressful job or personal circumstance is incredibly important and its good for the soul to have a wanderlust. Going away for me is about the only way I can have uninterrupted time off from work just now and given the winter we’re going to have with sickness bugs and cop26 etc im absolutely going to make the most of the next few months if i can. Its utterly shameful and arrogant of the Scottish Government to taktge position they have. 
No holidays for the last 18 months, which is very likely to bleed into 2 years for most.... Youngsters missing that chance to go away with their mates before life takes over are the main ones I feel for here. Proper coming of age thing that.

Still, this thread has been riddled with "if you see foreign travel as a neccessity......" type chat throughout. Its little wonder scotgov DGAF about torpedoing the whole industry. They would do the same to football and hospitality if they could

It's also genuinely a complete waste of time.

A few extra asymptomatic people getting through airports would be dwarfed by the numbers already in plague island.

One of the most pointless restrictions right now.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

No holidays for the last 18 months, which is very likely to bleed into 2 years for most.... Youngsters missing that chance to go away with their mates before life takes over are the main ones I feel for here. Proper coming of age thing that.

Still, this thread has been riddled with "if you see foreign travel as a neccessity......" type chat throughout. Its little wonder scotgov DGAF about torpedoing the whole industry. They would do the same to football and hospitality if they could

Granted my circumstances arent the same as most on here, but the last time I had two weeks off I had to go into work on 3 occasions for legally obligated court appearances. If im away then the fiscal has to fly me back at their expense and fly me back to my holiday putting me up in hotels etc, so that tends to mean I get excused, no chance if you’re still at home so given that I genuinely only get a break if im out the country etc. Even when I was away i still had to find a computer and write a reference for a job as I dont have cross cover for my line management, I dont mind that as much as its to help one of my team. I suppose there will be others in jobs where they get texts and emails when they are off too. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Granted my circumstances arent the same as most on here, but the last time I had two weeks off I had to go into work on 3 occasions for legally obligated court appearances. If im away then the fiscal has to fly me back at their expense and fly me back to my holiday putting me up in hotels etc, so that tends to mean I get excused, no chance if you’re still at home so given that I genuinely only get a break if im out the country etc. Even when I was away i still had to find a computer and write a reference for a job as I dont have cross cover for my line management, I dont mind that as much as its to help one of my team. I suppose there will be others in jobs where they get texts and emails when they are off too. 

That is shitty, and I fully understand why you would want to go abroad in those circumstances. 

I realise that a lot of people have issues with Quilette, I think they are they are a bit morbidly obsessed with IQ tests, which is often a signal of people who are two pints away from good old fashioned racism.  I believe Toby Young is still involved in it as well, a big black mark.  However, this is a good article about the crackpot anti-lockdown, anti-vaxxer movement.

https://quillette.com/2021/07/28/vaccines-and-the-coronavirus-crank-crisis/

Scenes on my Facebook as someone claims all who’ve taken the vaccine shall die and those who refuse will be saved and lead the world in a new enlightenment.

These people do realise death has always been a thing?

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Scenes on my Facebook as someone claims all who’ve taken the vaccine shall die and those who refuse will be saved and lead the world in a new enlightenment.

These people do realise death has always been a thing?

Ffs, I got my second dose yesterday, so I'm doubly fucked. Nightmare. Had no idea.

Ah well, least I got to see England make a rip roaring c**t of a major final before I went. That was great fun. See you in hell, P&B.

Do we die quicker if we've had both doses? 
My jeans are almost ready for the bin and I can't be arsed buying another pair, so here's hoping. 
Aye this is important. The wifes just told me she wants an interest free credit card to pay off her Next account. Fucked if im paying them if all my veins are going to be shredded by rogue nanotech in the next 6 months.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Do we die quicker if we've had both doses? 

My jeans are almost ready for the bin and I can't be arsed buying another pair, so here's hoping. 

I'd rather catch covid than go jeans shopping what a fecking palaver "boot cut straight leg high waste skinny baggy" I just want a pair of comfy jeans ffs 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I realise that a lot of people have issues with Quilette, I think they are they are a bit morbidly obsessed with IQ tests, which is often a signal of people who are two pints away from good old fashioned racism.  I believe Toby Young is still involved in it as well, a big black mark.  However, this is a good article about the crackpot anti-lockdown, anti-vaxxer movement.

https://quillette.com/2021/07/28/vaccines-and-the-coronavirus-crank-crisis/

Does Christopher Snowdon read P&B? Just read the first paragraph and spotted a likely reference..

When I last wrote about the rise of the coronavirus cranks for Quillette on January 16th, there were 37,000 people in British hospitals with COVID-19, and 1,411 COVID-related deaths on that day alone. The story that self-described sceptics had been telling themselves since the summer was a smoking ruin. As far back as June 2020, they had been announcing that the virus had run its course, that herd immunity had been achieved, and that there would be no second wave. They then dismissed a resurgence of the infection rate in August and September as a “casedemic”—a fraudulent illusion built on a glut of false positives produced by unreliable over-testing.

P.S.

Out of desperation, they continue to question the reliability of diagnostic testing and claim that the PCR test has a non-trivial false positive rate. The Office for National Statistics has repeatedly explained that the false positive rate is less than 0.1 percent. Real world evidence unequivocally shows that it is almost zero, since that is what the total positive rate has been in Australia, New Zealand, Israel, and the Orkney Islands at various times over the last 12 months. The UK had a positivity rate of just 0.2 percent as recently as two months ago. The false positive rate cannot possibly be higher than the positivity rate, but this simple logic continues to elude the COVID-sceptical community.

I liked this line..

For those of us who hadn’t done our own research (that is, watched someone else’s YouTube video), this seasonality business was rather a puzzle. 

Edited by welshbairn

45 minutes ago, mizfit said:

See what I really don’t get is how all of these dullards reckon they are gonna run the world with barely a couple of Highers between them.

It’d be frightening to see a society run by those left behind if all the vaxxed die in this “population control experiment”, or whatever the f**k they are calling it.

Done their research?! Wouldn’t know research if it pulled their breeks down and sucked them off.

22 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I'd rather catch covid than go jeans shopping what a fecking palaver "boot cut straight leg high waste skinny baggy" I just want a pair of comfy jeans ffs 

It's one of my pet hates. Always have a complete nightmare finding a decent pair. 

49 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

See what I really don’t get is how all of these dullards reckon they are gonna run the world with barely a couple of Highers between them.

It’d be frightening to see a society run by those left behind if all the vaxxed die in this “population control experiment”, or whatever the f**k they are calling 

Tbf can't really be worse than what the  technocracy have achieved in the last 70 years.