Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58144669

After using the train for the first time since the pandemic started, Maria Palmizi said she felt uneasy because she had to share a carriage with people not wearing masks.

The teacher, who was travelling back home to Barry after a day out in Cardiff on Saturday with her three-year-old, said a group of young men boarded the train, many of them not wearing masks.

"We purposely went on a different carriage to them," she said. "Unfortunately, there were also over 12 people on our carriage who did not put masks on."

She said while a message was played a number of times, and the conductor told people to put on masks, people ignored them and no extra security was in place.

Ms Palmizi said she felt lucky people sat nearby were wearing masks, but felt "fobbed off" after complaining to TfW, who said British Transport Police were putting on patrols.

"I was just shocked passengers were wilfully ignoring legal requirements and, in my opinion, nothing was done to enforce the requirement," she said.

'Trapped on a train'

When Lauren Elizabeth boarded a train from her home city of Newport to Manchester, she said she "didn't expect to be standing face-to-face with a stranger" for more than three hours.

She said she was left feeling "very unsafe" standing on the train on 23 July, when social distancing laws were still in place in Wales.

"It was just an awful experience... we couldn't move, you just felt trapped on a train," she said.

She added that while most were wearing masks, there was no enforcement and, after complaining to TfW, who apologised for her discomfort, said it felt like "they didn't care".

'It made me feel anxious'

Callum Littlemore, who travels regularly from his London workplace to his home in Cardiff, said there had been a marked decrease in people wearing masks on the route after English laws on them ended.

He said as he left Paddington station on 23 July about 50% of passengers were wearing masks.

Despite an announcement asking people to put them on as they approached the border, the 25-year-old said barely anyone did and no-one challenged rule breakers.

"At the time it made me feel rather anxious," he said, adding that while fully vaccinated he would continue to wear a mask in England.

"Wearing a mask is a small sacrifice to keep people safe... it annoyed me that other people weren't thinking of that," he said.

Sadly the train toilets were out of order as usual, otherwise these absolute, fucking losers could have had their heads flushed down it where they belong. 

50 minutes ago, Michael W said:

How shite is the healthcare system in NSW if under 500 cases being recorded in a day are stressing it? 

Depends what level of care they are giving the folk in hospital, if they are trying to have separate hospitals for Covid patients then the resources for this may be quite small or they may be giving folk with Covid beds with ventilators if/when they need them rather than move folk around once they are in.

Poor state of affairs regardless.

40 minutes ago, 101 said:

Depends what level of care they are giving the folk in hospital, if they are trying to have separate hospitals for Covid patients then the resources for this may be quite small or they may be giving folk with Covid beds with ventilators if/when they need them rather than move folk around once they are in.

Poor state of affairs regardless.

29 people on ventilators according to the article. 

Interesting that the existing level of covid there has prompted Australia to send out the army to enforce lockdown. Never did I think that would happen in a western country. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Brilliant to see too. Just some lads having a good time.

Nature is healing!

3 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/aug/14/nsw-covid-update-case-numbers-entire-state-in-lockdown-as-premier-gladys-berejiklian-warns-this-is-literally-a-war

I mean it's literally *not* a war but you lot enjoy your 'months of lockdown' that will achieve absolutely nothing anyway. 

Not many models for the zero Covid nutjobs to point to now. 

Surely 'Independent SAGE' will be setting sail for Sydney Harbour immediately?

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Perhaps overly simplistic, but I imagine the more people get out and about doing "normal" things, the fear and uncertainty about doing so will reduce.

This is exactly what is and will happen.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Interesting that the existing level of covid there has prompted Australia to send out the army to enforce lockdown. Never did I think that would happen in a western country. 

Big Jinping will be pissing himself.

Why can we not be a rational and forward thinking nation like Denmark, with ministers who have the confidence to tell us that masks can now be fucked off, when instead we have utter losers like John Swinney and Humza Yousaf droning on about embarrassing nonsense like 'vertical drinking', or being allowed to take your mask off on the dancefloor but then having to pop it back on when you go for a line of charlie in the toilet. I bet there's minimal pant wetting and curtain twiching about them being scrapped there as well, yet they're here to stay in law in Scotland until probably spring next year.

A truly shameful period in our nation's history.

PaleHelplessGorilla-size_restricted.gif

Masks will no longer be required on Danish public transport, the government has said, as the Nordic country lifted the last of its compulsory face-covering regulations.

Transport minister Benny Engelbrecht said in a statement: "We are now in a situation... where a large part of the population has been vaccinated and we are returning to a more normal everyday life."

From Saturday, "We can say goodbye to masks on buses, trains and the metro," he added.

The change was originally scheduled for 1 September.

On Wednesday, health authorities loosened social-distancing regulations in the Scandinavian kingdom of 5.8 million people, which has seen about 1,000 new infections a day.

Over 60% of the population has received a full course of the vaccine.

Deputy director of the national health agency Helene Bilsted Probst said in a statement: "We now have good control of the infection across society.

"Therefore, we can adapt the prevention recommendations in such a way that people can maintain a normal daily life while respecting the principle of prevention."

Masks will remain obligatory on planes and in the country's airports, where international air-transport rules apply.

Edited by Elixir

Daily Cases Update:  Day 8 in a row of case rises up 3% to 166.6. Infectivity up to 6.0%.  We may actually have a fall tomorrow.

Main headline is hitting 4 million having at least one Jag.

Northern Ireland looks out of control at 488.7 per 100K.  They also still have the highest legal restrictions in the UK. You can get a handgun if you want to shoot the virus ridden neighbours though.

Figures for Jags  1st Vaccines 5,724 to 5,061 so still holding up via the 16-17 year olds.    2nd vaccines stable from  18,151 to 19,011

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 5th August to 11th August were 8,836 now 9,109 up 3.09%, Positivity was 5.9% now 6.0%.  Cases per 100K were 161.7 now 166.6  

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  288.3 to 291.7 up 1.18%, England  302.2 to 305.2 up 0.99%, Wales 155.8 to 161.7 up 3.79%, Northern Ireland  474.5 to 488.7 up 2.99%

In Europe for travellers   France  252.3 to 254.4,  Ireland 238.4 to 242.3, Spain 238.0 to 225.4, Greece  210.3 to 215.8, Portugal 157.1 to 159.2, Switzerland 130.7, Denmark 120.2, These are still the only main countries over 120 cases per 100K  

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

East Lothian 267.8 to 264.1

North Ayrshire 230.2 to 245.8  10th day in a row of rises. 

South Lanarkshire  225.7 to 235.3 

North Lanarkshire  226.6 to 234.8 

West Dunbartonshire 216.2 to 216.2 

Fife   194.1 to 194.9

Clackmannanshire  126.7 to 156.0 to 193.0  here they go again. Up 100% in 3 days!! 

Dumfries & Galloway   167.2 to 188.8  Up over 12%  Dumfries riddled.

East Renfrewshire  164.5 to 180.1  Up nearly 10%

Inverclyde   177.8 to 177.8  

Argyll & Bute  149.8 to 173.2  Up Near 40% in just 2 days

Glasgow City  163.3 to 168.2 

East Ayrshire    152.1 to 162.0

City Of Edinburgh  159.6 to 160.2

East Dunbartonshire   133.3 to 157.2 Up near 20%

Renfrewshire  155.5 to 155.0

Highlands   152.9 to 152.1

Midlothian  142.8 to 150.3 

West Lothian  141.4 to 149.6

Falkirk   134.5 to 147.6

South Ayrshire 146.2 to 145.4

Stirling   133.9 to 144.6

Scottish  Borders  134.5 to 138.8

Dundee City 123.6 to 124.3 

Aberdeenshire   122.3 to 113.5  

Perth & Kinross   110.6 to 111.9 

Aberdeen City  106.5 to 106.5

Angus 94.1 to 95.8   

Moray 87.8 to 81.5 

Western Isles    49.1 to  75.5

Orkney Islands  49.1 to 53.6

Shetland Islands    56.8 to 52.5

2 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58144669

Sadly the train toilets were out of order as usual, otherwise these absolute, fucking losers could have had their heads flushed down it where they belong. 

These people will take a long time to get back to normal.

I'm looking forward to the complaints in a few weeks when travelling to Hampden on the train for the Moldova game of people not wearing masks. 

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Charles is raging. 

Charles with the "couldn't make it up" line - why? You could easily make it up and it would be believable. .

I was on a train to Edinburgh today and it was packed. No one was wearing a mask. There I made that up (actually got the train to Stirling). 

I was just about to say, but there will be some utter knob tweeting Sturgeon about the trains when the football is on, and there's Charles having a hissy fit. 

Social distancing on trains hasn't been a thing for a while, has it? And at any rate it is public transport; how dare the bloody public have the right to turn up and use it! 

If you're going to get on a train and piss and moan that some other people have the audacity to be on it, here's the options:

1) Drive 

2) Don't get on it 

I was just about to say, but there will be some utter knob tweeting Sturgeon about the trains when the football is on, and there's Charles having a hissy fit. 
Social distancing on trains hasn't been a thing for a while, has it? And at any rate it is public transport; how dare the bloody public have the right to turn up and use it! 
If you're going to get on a train and piss and moan that some other people have the audacity to be on it, here's the options:
1) Drive 
2) Don't get on it 
Charles is likely an occasional train user who wants everything about the service to suit his occasional needs.

Social distancing has been finally - finally - binned after 17 fucking months and yet fucking psychos like 'Charles' still can't handle a situation that was routine to 95%+ of his lived experience on this planet.

It's best for them to just go into shielding and disconnect their Internet connection while they're at it. I'm already sick and tired of these losers trying to impose their nonsense on the rest of society on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

They are only doing in the poor majority non white suburbs so it's actually exactly what you would expect from Australia.

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

2) Don't get on it 

This is it exactly, there is no social distancing on public transport but if you don't feel safe don't get on. Obviously Charles' journey is more important than everyone else's