Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How will we got about getting one of these testing kits? Will we pay for them? Are they being sent to each household? 

I think they are being tested ASAP and they said they will be targetted first at NHS and other essential staff, but if they work, I imagine the govt would distribute them through the Royal Mail

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the testing kits are more likely to resume normality than control now.

IF they are available and effective, those who test that they have had, but no longer have, the virus can return to normal. Those who test positive for having the virus will isolate with their whole household, which should protect those who test negative for having and for having had the virus whilst they too return to normal.

An effective, available test for both will end this much sooner than first though.

There’s insufficient evidence as yet as to wether we can ‘recatch’ the virus.  I wouldn’t want people to think they were safe because a test showed they had already had it.

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I must admit that even a week ago I wasn’t taking this seriously. I truly believed it was a bad strain of the flu that would “only” kill the elderly or people with underlying health conditions. Listening to the news and hearing about the 21 year old girl who died and who had no health issues makes things scary

I know an old couple who've been in lockdown for 2 or 3 weeks due to family urging, seemed a bit overkill at the time but their family are in London. 

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are. Initially.

BoJo said he wants the UK soon to be testing upwards of 250,000 per day. That must include home kits

I want a lot of things, Boris just kicks it into the long grass where possible. 

Edited by ayrmad

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Oh no there is a financial benefit should they declare you as forloughed but make you take a week of annual leave at the same time. They pay all employees full pay for that week off, but claim 80% back, meaning they've had to pay all employees only 20% of what they would normally have to, and they have an extra week of productivity off of everyone later in the year. That would be shady behaviour if they were to do so, and I dare say illegal.

Alternatively they are saying they can't afford to top up the 20% for you to sit at home so are offering it as a genuine way to get full pay for an extra 2 weeks, and will then drop you to 80% afterwards. A decent employer would make that optional, however, rather than mandatory.

At the end of the day, furlough is optional; they don't have to furlough you, and could instead lay you off. Making you use a week's holiday in order for them to furlough you afterwords rather than lay you off would be utterly shite behaviour, and would most likely prompt most to look for new jobs upon return. 

Just to clarify, 2 weeks definite closure at the moment. First week paid in full for working at home. Full holiday pay for the second week. They have then said if the closure needs to extend beyond that we will be furloughed. 

There’s insufficient evidence as yet as to wether we can ‘recatch’ the virus.  I wouldn’t want people to think they were safe because a test showed they had already had it.
Really?

Other than one or two isolated cases there's nothing to suggest that we won't be immune.

From what i read that's the norm. No strain ever provides 100% immunity to 100% of people.

But basically our bodies will be immune. (i think)

Just now, pandarilla said:

Really?

Other than one or two isolated cases there's nothing to suggest that we won't be immune.

From what i read that's the norm. No strain ever provides 100% immunity to 100% of people.

What I’ve read has said literally ‘insufficient evidence’.  I’d imagine over the next few weeks the data coming from China in particular will provide evidence one way or the other.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Really?

Too soon to tell. I've had the same cold symptoms multiple times (some of them coronaviruses). And they don't know if they can pass it on yet, even if they don't feel the symptoms.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Just to clarify, 2 weeks definite closure at the moment. First week paid in full for working at home. Full holiday pay for the second week. They have then said if the closure needs to extend beyond that we will be furloughed. 

It does seem a bit shite that way.

If you are sick during annual leave you can claim it back. Forcing someome to take annual leave to then not be able to leave the house seems poor craic.

51 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

At the risk of attracting ridicule, and using just today’s figures (which is undoubtedly not good practice).

If the death rate grows at the rate from yesterday to today then at the end of the three week ‘lockdown’ there will be approximately 17,600 more deaths in Scotland.

I have no idea how quickly the ‘lockdown’ will impact upon the infection/death rate but even if it kicks in after a fortnight and reduces the growth rate by 50%, this would reduce the 17,600 figure to about 6,300.  That is significant.

The worldwide total is now 17,100.    

How many fingers you got?

19 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay, as they are known in Scotland"

Who the f**k calls them that, other than shite TV reporters?

I suppose you could say it's a Bute of a title.