Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

Germany is 23% larger.   It's therefore perfectly possible to take your 35 million and reduce it by 23%.....or indeed whatever we want to. 

Health and defence spending are fiscal choices for the government. 

Anna. 

No. I already adjusted for that. Germany spends 1.4% of its GDP on the military.

If we spent 1.4% of our GDP on the military, we would spend £35 billion. It actually spends only $7 billion or so less than the UK.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That isn’t the question. The question was Sturgeon or Salmond. 

Was there a question ? 

I presumed from your post that you were making a statement saying that you wouldn't want Salmond or Sturgeon as First Minister. 

You brought it up. I'm just asking you who you would want as First Minister. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, Tynie Heep said:

At last we have a cure.  Bono to stop clicking his fingers.

Id be quite happy to ensure Bono is silenced. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

No, not 'full Bolsonaro' as we are not currently living in a 'full Bolsonaro' situation right now in Scotland you madman.

By saying 'absolutely nothing' I clearly mean nothing away from where we are right now.

Also, who is going on medical advice? Certainly not the SG or UK govt. All advisement decisions are being made based on modelling advice currently. Any medical advice currently,(mainly from South Africa so far) on the go is saying the virus is behaving contrary to the modelling data they are basing decisions on.

Be interested to know if the care home decision was medical advice. 

1 hour ago, Dave and Anna Snow said:

Clearly Sturgeon is being badly advised just now as she was 20 months back.   But whenever I hear NS speaking it's clear she's not responding to the here and now.   I remember NS talking about how she wished she'd acted quicker in March 2020 and how it haunts her.   That itself is noble enough but her guilt is wrongly shaping her decision making on a completely different set of circumstances. 

Anna.

Anna, spot on. 

I’d vote for Bob as First Minister.  He’s clearly a deep thinker that has the answers to every problem and a computer like grasp of the numbers.

He’d be renowned on the international stage…as the only world leader that could have challenged Yeltsin in a bevvying competition.

30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't want to head down a different path here, but you can't say that you're 'nor interested in the UK', because the fact that the UK controls 75% of Scotland's economy, plus 100% of defence spending, plus 100% of border control DIRECTLY influences decisions that Sturgeon has had to make. 

I'm not going to argue with you about Salmond, but you're wrong to say that Sturgeon is 'totalitarian'...that's ridiculous. She's a more conservative (small 'c') politician than Salmond......but ask Scottish voters who they would prefer to be First Minister, and I seriously doubt if the majority would say Salmond. 

Here’s the question you suggested Scottish voters could be asked - Sturgeon or Salmond. I gave my personally held answer. I cannot decide, because to me, that’s like being asked to choose between being punched in the ashet by Ant, or Dec.

Can’t be clearer. Now, back to Covid?

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, pozbaird said:

Here’s the question you suggested Scottish voters could be asked - Sturgeon or Salmond. I gave my personally held answer. I cannot decide, because to me, that’s like being asked to choose between being punched in the ashet by Ant, or Dec.

Can’t be clearer. Now, back to Covid?

As clear as mud. 

I never suggested that in the slightest, I was replying to a comment that another poster made. 

Now, back to covid. You've whined, and whined for months about Sturgeon in this echo chamber. 

It's a reasonable question to ask, if not Sturgeon...and certainly not Salmond...who would you want as First minister (and presumably someone who would handle thinsg differently) ? 

It's not a difficult question to answer. Who would you want handling covid related decisions for Scotland ? 

26 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Yes, nonsense. You were overstating military expenditure by £12 billion, or almost a quarter of the entire budget.

No, not really, not if it meant dismantling a significant part of Western Europe's defence infrastructure and made it materially easier for the Russians to undermine the continued independent existence of Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Your position has been a bit undermined today by our Defence Secretary saying we will do nothing militarily to defend Ukraine if they're invaded. Not that I think we should.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Your position has been a bit undermined today by our Defence Secretary saying we will do nothing militarily to defend Ukraine if they're invaded. Not that I think we should.

I mean not really. I don't have to defend our Government being an international basket case.

Dont know if anyone else picked up on Piers Corbyn calling for lists of MP’s who voted for vaccine passports to be circulated and for them essentially to be targeted and killed/assaulted. 
For whatever your reasons or stand point on measures or whatever, to actually think that the rational response to a law you dont like is to seek out people and kill them you’re either living in the last days pre French revolution or a complete psychopath. I passionately disagree with Sturgeon’s views and stance on this pandemic, but its quite obvious she genuinely thinks shes doing the right thing for the right reason. We can joke about it being North Korea esque but no one actually believes that (if they arent a mental). To actually see that video is completely chilling. My local MP lives not too far from me and on a personal level i quite like the guy, to think of people trying to track him down is beyond sinister now. 

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont know if anyone else picked up on Piers Corbyn calling for lists of MP’s who voted for vaccine passports to be circulated and for them essentially to be targeted and killed/assaulted. 
For whatever your reasons or stand point on measures or whatever, to actually think that the rational response to a law you dont like is to seek out people and kill them you’re either living in the last days pre French revolution or a complete psychopath. I passionately disagree with Sturgeon’s views and stance on this pandemic, but its quite obvious she genuinely thinks shes doing the right thing for the right reason. We can joke about it being North Korea esque but no one actually believes that (if they arent a mental). To actually see that video is completely chilling. My local MP lives not too far from me and on a personal level i quite like the guy, to think of people trying to track him down is beyond sinister now. 

As said before, lunatics attaching themselves to perfectly legitimate political viewpoints (being against vaccine passports) plays into the hands of the simple minded who have a different view and sends any semblance of rational debate down the shitter.

If the answer is throw more money at the NHS then IMO the wrong question is being asked. You Could throw billions more at it and it won't improve as much as it should. Would extra money have opened the new sick kids on time, nope, would the issues at the new Glasgow hospital be fixed by more money, nope.

It needs a complete review and reform but ignorance would lead to people crying privatisation without a shred of evidence so all politicians do is take the easy headline of increased funding for the NHS and let it grow fatter and fatter.

Throwing money at a problem on its own rarely works in the long term.

7 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

As said before, lunatics attaching themselves to perfectly legitimate political viewpoints (being against vaccine passports) plays into the hands of the simple minded who have a different view and sends any semblance of rational debate down the shitter.

Yep. See also: Detournement.

6 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

If the answer is throw more money at the NHS then IMO the wrong question is being asked. You Could throw billions more at it and it won't improve as much as it should. Would extra money have opened the new sick kids on time, nope, would the issues at the new Glasgow hospital be fixed by more money, nope.

It needs a complete review and reform but ignorance would lead to people crying privatisation without a shred of evidence so all politicians do is take the easy headline of increased funding for the NHS and let it grow fatter and fatter.

Throwing money at a problem on its own rarely works in the long term.

Also yep.

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

What are you babbling about?

I'd love to get on with my life and in particular get travelling again. I wonder what could possibly be preventing that from happening?

If I can be arsed I might check in here in a week or 2 and i'm quite confident you'll still be posting a thousand shite posts a day going round and round with the rest of the 'moon howlers' as I think is the popular term here😂 

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You honestly think that the Scottish media are on the side of the Scottish government ? That it's 'their' media ? 

Lol. That's beyond ridiculous. 

Honestly. If there was a sense that the Scottish government were manipulating figures or modelling, then the media would be all over it like a rash. 

In recent years the Scottish media has become somewhat Sturgeon friendly. They still play a bit of knockabout for show, but nothing like it was. 
They were Team Sturgeon for the Salmond trial and I’m sure the money Sturgeon handed to thei industry has had some impact. 
she is also timid on the constitution, which suits them.