Coronavirus (COVID-19)

47 minutes ago, deegee said:

I actually feel quite sorry for your in-laws as well as yourselves. The mother-in-law has cranked up the pressure on you to attend, based purely on a Bank Holiday weekend date in the calendar. How old is your daughter, if you don’t mind me asking, and is she fussed/aware of all this background noise?

If the in-laws are so terrified, I would politely but forcibly insist you’ll rearrange trip for Easter or maybe earlier if her fear (and her perceived risk of catching a terrifying virus) subsides. Tell them it’s in everyone’s best interest etc.

Alternatively, could you not still travel but book a Travelodge type place to stay, and that’ll allow you and all the family some peace and will get you to the football without any issues?

Aye look I’m not pissed off because they’re nervous about covid. They’re older, the father in law in particular has his health issues and they’re being repeatedly told it’s not safe to mix and interact and that their age group are high risk. So I sympathise with that. 

What irritates me is the insistence that we have to sacrifice everything before and during the trip to make them feel better. That probably makes me sound like a selfish p***k but i just wouldn’t or couldn’t ask someone to make those sacrifices for my issues. 

I’m increasingly of the view we shouldn’t go but don’t think I’m going to win that one. 

The wee one is 7 months so pretty oblivious to it all. 

Not to worry.
When the football grounds are closed next week, as least we can all join the thousands crammed into the likes of Silverburn, Buchanan Galleries, St James Quarter, South Gyle, Union Square or Overgate and numerous others around Scotland.

We all know this virus couldn’t possibly spread in heaving, warm, enclosed shopping centres!

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just for fun, what question(s) would you like the Scottish Media to actually ask today if these changes go ahead?

"First Minister, every adult and vulnerable person in the country has had ample opportunity to have two vaccine doses and a booster. Why should the rest of the country be forced into restrictions to protect those who have made the choice not to get vaccinated or get their booster?"

Edited by Gaz

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

How long do you intend any new restrictions to last, or if you cannot give a date, what is the criteria for ending them?

"I sometimes need to make unpopular decisions. I make no apologies for keeping people safe. I'll not keep restrictions in place any longer than strictly necessary."

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just for fun, what question(s) would you like the Scottish Media to actually ask today if these changes go ahead?

Mine: First Minister, given that you have today decided to have football games played behind closed doors, is this evidence that the vaccine passport scheme has had no impact on public health?

What do you say to people who have had 3 doses of Pfizer (or whatever) and vaccine passports, have worn face coverings on transport, in shops and followed social distancing guidelines for 20 months but still being kept from attending events that they would otherwise still go to? And how do you justify restricting these same people who have been told that the previous was 'the way out' of the pandemic?

11 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

The only things that these restrictions will cause will be a huge pile of resentment, bitterness and the inability to ever take anything serious that comes from the Scottish Government.

Hopefully...

7 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

How long do you intend any new restrictions to last, or if you cannot give a date, what is the criteria for ending them?

'When hospitalisations and ICU admissions from covid are at a manageable level.'

Oh... wait.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What irritates me is the insistence that we have to sacrifice everything before and during the trip to make them feel better. That probably makes me sound like a selfish p***k but i just wouldn’t or couldn’t ask someone to make those sacrifices for my issues. 

I’m increasingly of the view we shouldn’t go but don’t think I’m going to win that one. 

The wee one is 7 months so pretty oblivious to it all. 

Since the wee one is literally a baby, it’ll make zero odds of the trip is pushed to Easter, as I said earlier mate. 

I can understand them wanting to see the bairn but, as you say, their demands are 100% totally unreasonable and if they are so concerned, they should agree to postponing the trip until their heads are in a better place.

I can sense you’ll need to go visit them and hope, for everyone’s sake, it passes without drama, you get your day out (as it’s as much your Christmas as it is theirs tbh) and when you meet again, the pantomime of fear has eased.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A bit of pedantry as the SG could and likely should have overruled it, but that was the JCVI advice that was followed by all four nations, the thinking being that age was a much better indication of risk than profession, unless you're an NHS clerk working from home of course.

https://www.policeprofessional.com/news/police-will-not-receive-vaccine-priority-jcvi-confirms/ 

Yes, they followed the jcvi guidance, but made exceptions for ‘coast guard’ and allowed funeral directors to get the vaccine because ‘they attend sudden deaths in the community and deal with dead bodies’ without even the slightest bit of irony considering its usually police officers who go to sudden deaths first and have to help them put the dead body into the body bags etc. Theres so many examples I could give whereby police were expected to fill service provision gaps from bodies which refused to attend things in person yet qualified for vaccination long before the police. The actual contempt when asking these people ‘so have you attended yourself to see if they are alright’ to be met with ‘no im working from home because of the pandemic, its not safe for me to go’.

Its not exactly a bundle of laughs working at certain football games (although some are) but genuinely no one I know wants these events cancelled and most police officers want to be fit and at their work, for the Scottish Government to essentially try and shift the blame to Police absence rates to justify any restrictions when they refused to help them is pretty low. 

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"I sometimes need to make unpopular decisions. I make no apologies for keeping people safe. I'll not keep restrictions in place any longer than strictly necessary."

You forgot the passive aggressive eyeroll as she answers the question to make sure the simps still pay their SNP subscriptions. 

1 minute ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Given the highest average was 64 per day at the peak in an unvaccinted population this omricon must be fucking super deadly to get to 600.

Or it's scaremongering at it's worst. 

It's not scaremongering. It's complete lies.

We've reached the stage where it could not be any clearer that the Government (and, by extension, its advisors) blatently lie with absolute impunity.

Never mind Covid-19, how do the SG expect to regain credibility for anything at all ever again? Why should we ever trust anything at all that they say?

IndyRef2? Laptops? Bikes? Bus Travel?

If they shut the doors at football that might be cranial detachment time for me. What's the point in 3 fucking doses of the vaccine if the government still won't allow people to go about their business as they see fit? It would be a complete and unnecessary over-reach.
You'll be fine after your 4th vaccine that's the real protection they'll tell you.

My non-childish question:

"First Minister, we were repeatedly told that vaccination was the way out of this crisis and the only route back to normality. Why then, with the vast majority of the population having had both first doses, and a significant number having had boosters, are we now even contemplating severe restrictions which were previously required because we did not have vaccines? What effect do you think having what are now draconian restrictions imposed is going to have on the feelings of people towards getting vaccinated? In short, what's the point?"

They've now spent the best part of 2 years failing to prevent the spread of an airborne virus, and watched as a vaccine demolishes it, yet still think baning folk from sitting outside next to someone for 2 hours is going to have any meaningful impact. Its literally never going to go away until the entire planet is vaccinated, which will take years to happen if it even happens at all. Are they just going to chuck restrictions at us until the end of time?

A collection of clowns entirely out their depth, who refuse to accept that people die every so often.

44 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

image.png.352e9d8ce4acee7422af11b9267ea8f9.png

Absolute junk science

Every time he opens his mouth is a reason to empty him from his job. He's there to analyse the data and advise the government. If he doesn't have the data to know how bad something is he shouldn't be offering anything further than that. He has no evidence that Omicron will kill that level of people, he is a dangerous, slithering c**t and his sole agenda has been keeping himself in the limelight for nearly 18 months now.

Didn’t catch the name of the lady on Radio Scotland just then, but she just mentioned the devolved nations should get together and agree the metrics by which furlough can be accessed by any nation as required.

Hard to argue against this line of thought, but the Scottish government would still throw toys out the pram saying it’s not good enough, as they want furlough any time they ask without any justification.