Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is it 2pm we get the latest announcement? I was never an anxious person before, but I’m currently sitting here terrified of what they’re going to do.

One of my mates at my work has said he’s starting to get depressed and doesn’t see a way out if this is the reaction to every variant. Really worrying stuff to hear and I imagine that sort of thought process is replicated across a large number. I’m certainly starting to feel that way.

I'm struggling at the moment. I'm really tense, really tetchy and really short tempered. Every time I'm opening my mouth it's to complain about restrictions and the situation we are in. Last January-March was the toughest time of my life mentally and, although a lot has changed since then, I'm getting seriously worked up at the prospect of having to go through that all over again.

And I say all that as someone who A) Loves his job and B) Has a job that isn't under threat from lockdown measures. So I consider myself extremely fortunate.

I've been a nightmare to be around for the past few days and I almost totally lost on the phone with my mum this morning, but managed to reign myself in before I ended up getting locked out of my Christmas dinner. 

Did buy myself an exercise bike mind you in an attempt to stay sane over any winter lockdown. It was something I was meaning to do last year, but never had the money for. If the worst comes to the worst I'm going to set myself aims and goals on that to keep me getting out of bed every day.

It's quite clearly going to be another lockdown from boxing day onwards IMO, with absolutely zero hint at when it'll end or what will trigger it to end.
A total fucking farce.
Not a Lockdown but a "circuit breaker" and we all know how that went last time.

Just now, Empty It said:

Not a Lockdown but a "circuit breaker" and we all know how that went last time.

Yeah it feels like it's one that'll rumble on into March or something. Fed stories in the papers before every announcement to try and convince everyone its the right decision to keep extending it.

Yeah it feels like it's one that'll rumble on into March or something. Fed stories in the papers before every announcement to try and convince everyone its the right decision to keep extending it.
With Sturgeon giving a wee show every week repeating her catchphrase "we just dont know".

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

And I say all that as someone who A) Loves his job and B) Has a job that isn't under threat from lockdown measures. So I consider myself extremely fortunate.

Yeah I'm the same, but also with the benefit that I can work through lockdowns/restrictions away from my house. My wife ended up in a bad place last year working from home constantly as she was stuck in the living room literally every day for the whole thing.

I'm going to utterly lose my shit if I can't go to Pittodrie on Boxing Day and the 29th. As far as encouraging vaccinations/boosters, increasing restrictions will likely have a negative effect. People are more likely to look at it and go, 'well what's the fucking point in getting jabbed if folk who are double jabbed and boostered still can't live their lives'

Just now, Empty It said:

With Sturgeon giving a wee show every week repeating her catchphrase "we just dont know".

"I make no excuses for trying to save people's lives", said without irony as people struggle so badly mentally with lockdown they kill themselves, while there's hundreds of cancer patients denied treatment and people denied access to proper doctor appointments as GPs lock themselves away behind a phone again.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I'm the same, but also with the benefit that I can work through lockdowns/restrictions away from my house. My wife ended up in a bad place last year working from home constantly as she was stuck in the living room literally every day for the whole thing.

I can relate to that. I like WFH, but last winter I would've jumped to be back in the office just for a change of scenery. My only trips out during the working week were to Aldi or for a walk after work. But it would usually be dark, pissing down and cold. It's absolutely no way to live.

And I say that as someone with very little social life who quite likes his own company!

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same with us. The wife has been in the office 2 days per week and at home the rest. She was the first one allowed back in as she was candid with her boss about her mental health. It has been a Godsend for her over the last 6 months or so.

Not only that, but the days we are both here, we have very little to talk about. No "how was your day?" as I know. 

If they enforce working from home, it will damage her and, to a lesser extent, me. 

There's your UKg funding, very good news not only for folk in hospitality but also for Rishis PM credentials.

Also "generous funding" can get in the same bin as "protections" are we meant to be on our knees with a groveling thank you

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

WFH last year was utterly shite. As soon as we were allowed into the office I changed to 3 days in, 2 at home. Living your entire life in the house in the early part of the pandemic was awful, and also unfair on my disabled partner. We have a decent enough flat, but not the space for a totally separate working area. Why should she then feel restricted all week because I'm dealing with confidential phone calls to folk about debt, mental health etc? She couldn't even come through to the living room to watch telly. It's fair to say that basically spending 24/7 together was a strain on our relationship, and I've no doubt the same was true for many on here. 

Another winter of that depressing pish can f**k right off.