Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Joking aside, I am assuming clubs voted based on existing divisions. The season isnt over yet, the Premiership hasnt been called and the season switch usually happens at June 1. Hearts havent been relegated and the Premiership cast 12 votes so presumably United voted in the Championship.
So.... Inverness must have been the one to vote for it. The were a backer of the motion in the first place and the statement this week means they must have backed it surely. Fair play then, despite everything that means Partick Thistle didnt vote for it then? Unless they did switch the lower league clubs first so Raith replaced them. Seems inconsistent if they did that.

There’s an article in the Evening Times (I think) saying PT voted as a league one club. I’ll try to dig out a link.

12 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Premiership hasn't been called, but lower divisions have so would be natural to assume Raith were counted as Championship club and Partick Thistle League One. United remain in Championship until Premiership confirmed.

That's my assumption.

It would be interesting to have the picture confirmed, but I'd be very surprised if Partick Thistle voted against.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

What hypocrisy? As far as I’ve seen no Ayr fan is actually hoping a club will die.

Rb123 said a few weeks ago he wanted Partick Thistle and Dundee to go bust I’m sure though to be fair I’ve not seen any other Ayr fans wanting other teams in trouble- not even Killie 

4 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Rb123 said a few weeks ago he wanted Partick Thistle and Dundee to go bust I’m sure though to be fair I’ve not seen any other Ayr fans wanting other teams in trouble- not even Killie 

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So would I. Maybe they did swap Thistle and Raith (& Stranraer / Cove). 🤔

Would it matter if they swapped Stranraer & Cove since League One & Two are bundled?

27 minutes ago, Dele said:

Are you denying the allegation? 

Yes, a full blown statement on my thoughts will be published within the hour.

Currently adding the finishing touhes by browsing the Oxford dictionary for a word even better than 'scintilla' and 'concomitant'. 

Currently adding the finishing touhes by browsing the Oxford dictionary for a word even better than 'scintilla' and 'concomitant'. 

Think you should learn how to spell touches first.

5DDA9733-1402-48EE-965F-EB70C2E443F8-8369-000006418686D4F0.jpg

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

serious hurry up GIF by Choice Hotels

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-clubs-reject-call-for-inquiry

Murdoch MacLennan - "In reality, we must do everything humanly possible to get games back up and running by the end of July."

There seems to be a consensus that games with fans are unlikely until towards the end of 2020, and more likely until early 2021.  There also seems to be a consensus that creating significant new income streams is going to be very difficult for a lot of clubs, making it hard to see how they can afford to field teams until fans return.

Obviously the SPFL desperately needs the Premiership to start ASAP to avoid Sky pulling the plug on the TV deal, or at least negotiating the terms down to take account of a loss of games in 2019/20 and a delay in 2020/21.  Equally obviously that will involve games behind closed doors.   

The interesting question is what happens in the other leagues? It's reasonable to assume that almost all clubs in Leagues 1/2 will prefer to delay the start of the league season until fans are allowed back, and that would also mean delaying the start of the cups.   Being realistic (optimistic even) there could be a season with 2 rounds of games in the leagues plus the cups.

The Championship is messier.  Some teams are likely to prefer putting the Championship into hibernation until games with fans are allowed, but we have the obvious problem of how many fans might be allowed with social distancing if measures are relaxed.  Other clubs may take a different view, and want to start straight away.  That could be driven by the fact that they have a fair number of players under contract and/or a belief that they can generate income through live streaming of games on their platforms.

Lots of players' contracts are about to run out.  Could the SPFL Board get to a position where they have to ask who is prepared to play in the Championship?  The fun could then begin as we could easily see the likes of Queens, Arbroath and Alloa say that they no desire to risk their future by saying 'yes' with the likes of Partick and Falkirk saying they will give it a go.

Thoughts?  

Edited by Parttimesupporter
typo

12 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-clubs-reject-call-for-inquiry

Murdoch MacLennan - "In reality, we must do everything humanly possible to get games back up and running by the end of July."

There seems to be a consensus that games with fans are unlikely until towards the end of 2020, and more likely until early 2021.  There also seems to be a consensus that creating significant new income streams is going to be very difficult for a lot of clubs, making it hard to see how they can afford to field teams until fans return.

Obviously the SPFL desperately needs the Premiership to start ASAP to avoid Sky pulling the plug on the TV deal, or at least negotiating the terms down to take account of a loss of games in 2019/20 and a delay in 2020/21.  Equally obviously that will involve games behind closed doors.   

The interesting question is what happens in the other leagues? It's reasonable to assume that almost all clubs in Leagues 1/2 will prefer to delay the start of the league season until fans are allowed back, and that would also mean delaying the start of the cups.   Being realistic (optimistic even) there could be a season with 2 rounds of games in the leagues plus the cups.

The Championship is messier.  Some teams are likely to prefer putting the Championship into hibernation until games with fans are allowed, but we have the obvious problem of how many fans might be allowed with social distancing if measures are relaxed.  Other clubs may take a different view, and want to start straight away.  That could be driven by the fact that they have a fair number of players under contract and/or a belief that they can generate income through live streaming of games on their platforms.

Lots of players' contracts are about to run out.  Could the SPFL Board get to a position where they have to ask who is prepared to play in the Championship?  The fun could hten begin as we could easily see the likes of Queens, Arbroath and Alloa say that they no desire to risk their future by saying 'yes' with the likes of Partick and Falkirk saying they will give it a go.

Thoughts? 

First things first, before we get ahead of ourselves, the present media rights do not allow clubs to sell domestic live stream coverage of their games in the UK. I appreciate in a circumstance of no crowds, then this may need to be renegotiated but as it stands they can only stream outside the UK. The broadcast deal with Sky won't allow for coverage at all on games they choose to take so, given the vast majority of those will be Celtic and Rangers, it's unlikely the main obvious rights sellers would be able to sell much at all. Nor would home clubs be able to sell online their most marketable fixtures.

Personally I think closed door football for anything other than maybe finishing this season's Premiership, is a non starter or a very short term basis for next season maybe (half a dozen games at most). I don't see it remotely feasible for Championship clubs to play closed door, the bigger the club the more difficult it will be as their crowds will make up a greater percentage of their income.

If the Premiership feel that economically it's less damaging to play closed door than not at all, they would presumably be quite within their rights to want 100% of any tv money going for that period as they'll be ones losing money to minimise whole league losses. That presumably cuts income for all non Premiership clubs. There are an awful lot of hurdles to cross before the Premiership can consider playing closed doors I suspect. That's before we consider if it's even safe for it to do so. Even the English Premiership has confirmed play won't be possible before mid June. We're further behind according to the Scottish Govt. Murdoch is optimistically looking at end of July. I don't see finishing last season for the top level, even closed door, is terribly likely. Too many player contract issues to conquer by then.

Edited by Skyline Drifter