Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

10 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Not trolling matey.

I just think that because no team has mathematically secured any position, why should they be punished or rewarded based on the current standings? 

At the same time, it's not voiding it so could be seen as a loophole for the TV money.

Morning Johnny.

Just for clarity. Pretty much the same question as yesterday. Would you honestly still believe this to be the fairest option for all were Dundee FC to be currently sitting 14 points and 23 goals better off than their nearest rival with 8 games to play?

One chairman comes out and tries to promote equality between all and make sure the competition remains dignified - TRYING TO STOP UNITED WINNING THE LEAGUE. (newsflash : United still win the league.)
Your chairman comes out with a meek, shite the bed statement begging for cash and ending the season now as he hates Ian McCall - TRYING TO SUSTAIN AN EXCELLENT BUSINESS MODEL
Jeez Louise. Thicko.

Alternatively

Dundee chairman panders to his own fans by voting against a move that would see his teams rivals promoted.

You can word things in any way you like but it doesn’t make you right. Cameron isn’t voting for something just to relegate a guy that he still gets on with.

Just now, MacArab said:

Morning Johnny.

Just for clarity. Pretty much the same question as yesterday. Would you honestly still believe this to be the fairest option for all were Dundee FC to be currently sitting 14 points and 23 goals better off than their nearest rival with 8 games to play?

Haha, I like your style @MacArab!

No I wouldn't think it would be particularly fair on us and I can see the frustration from United.

However, you have to also agree that no team has mathematically secured anything.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Haha, I like your style @MacArab!

No I wouldn't think it would be particularly fair on us and I can see the frustration from United.

However, you have to also agree that no team has mathematically secured anything.

There is no disputing the fact that nothing has been mathematically decided.

That being said, Celtic apart, nobody gives a f**k about titles if they don't mean promotion.

I wouldn't take even the slightest crumb of comfort from us being crowned champions if we were stuck down here for another season, and I suspect your Chairman probably knows this.

As I said yesterday, and can say this with absolute honesty, were our positions reversed, I would have no objection to your promotion, in whatever form it took.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB69 said:

It’s interesting the big different in mindset between Scotland and England, we are all about getting next season underway because of this tv deal of course. The SPFL are worried about any financial clausses I suspect.

Whereas England is all about let’s get this season done before worrying about next.

No, in England it’s only about ‘getting this season done’ because of the extensive TV deals covering the top four divisions. The FA has already ended most of the non-leagues (under a ridiculous null and void decision) because there’s no TV money at stake there and because there’s no feasible way to complete the season (outstanding postponements plus closed doors games being impractical). The bottom three national tiers in Scotland are much closer to the latter situation ie the English National League, tier 5, than their actual namesakes.

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, MacArab said:

As I said yesterday, and can say this with absolute honesty, were our positions reversed, I would have no objection to your promotion, in whatever form it took.

I am not bothered about United being promoted either tbh.

If our positions were reversed would you let the SPFL take away the play offs?

One chairman comes out and tries to promote equality between all and make sure the competition remains dignified - TRYING TO STOP UNITED WINNING THE LEAGUE. (newsflash : United still win the league.)

Your chairman comes out with a meek, shite the bed statement begging for cash and ending the season now as he hates Ian McCall - TRYING TO SUSTAIN AN EXCELLENT BUSINESS MODEL

Jeez Louise. Thicko.

Still don't see why your chairman seems to think that it's a certainty you'd win the play offs, Inverness have been above yuu pretty much all of this season so IMO they'd have a better chance of going up than you

Just now, rb123! said:
6 hours ago, Dele said:
Jeez Louise. Thicko.

Still don't see why your chairman seems to think that it's a certainty you'd win the play offs, Inverness have been above pretty much all of this season so IMO they'd have a better chance of going up than you

What we should do is follow the Ayr United model and just roll over.

It’s not really rolling over when there’s nothing to be gained by voting against it.

At least if we vote for it we’re getting something in return.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

How is Ayr voting in favour of calling the season as it is 'rolling over' while asking for null and void wouldn't be? The footballing impact on Ayr of each proposal would be exactly the same.

Edited by Dunning1874

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s not really rolling over when there’s nothing to be gained by voting against it.

At least if we vote for it we’re getting something in return.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

How is Ayr voting in favour of calling the season as it is 'rolling over' while asking for null and void wouldn't be? The footballing g impact on Ayr of each proposal would be exactly the same.

You are essentially voting to end any chance of a play off.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

You are essentially voting to end any chance of a play off.

As is nulling and voiding the season, which Dundee fans are gushing over John Nelms for suggesting. Why aren't you accusing him of rolling over?

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I am not bothered about United being promoted either tbh.

If our positions were reversed would you let the SPFL take away the play offs?

The playoffs in the last 3 seasons (particularly Accies and St Mirren) have been amongst the worst experiences I have had as an Arab.

They can get in the fucking bin as far as I am concerned.

Seriously though, probably wouldn't be best amused at being denied the chance, but would accept that we are in an impossible situation, and if we can't finish the season, we can have playoffs.

Also, if there is anything the last 3 years have taught me, its thst playoffs are not good for my blood pressure, and that promotion throug them is pretty unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

As is nulling and voiding the season, which Dundee fans are gushing over John Nelms for suggesting. Why aren't you accusing him of rolling over?

Because it's fairer than giving teams undeserved promotion or relegation.

Edit: I am more aggrieved with the possibility of ICT getting a promotion out of this than United.

Edited by johnnydun

As invergowrie says, the argument isn't about whether we should play out the season or whether it should be null and voided. Everyone knows they are a non-starter.

The argument is about

(a) why are you treating the Premier League differently given we know the above is the case;

(b) why is the proposal to end the season one which adopts a new and unfair criteria for placing clubs; and

(c) why does the proposal make no concrete attempts to mitigate the consequences of that unfairness if a fairer method of ranking is not possible.

There is also a fourth issue which is that the rules about how this season should be determined shouldn't be voted on or changed before we know what the rules will be for next season's competitions.

A proposal that fails to mitigate the unearned advantages of teams which did not mathematically win promotion outright, and which fails to mitigate the unearned punishment for some teams which did not mathematically earn relegation outright is not a fair proposal, and therefore should not be agreed to.

The Dundee proposal, though not viable in itself, highlights part of the essence of that unfairness and is clearly the basis for further discussion.