The working from home, sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily and isolation thread

I love WFH. It’s just so much more chilled out and I just start when I want, like VT mentioned if I’ve had a bad nights sleep I can go have a sleep after lunch or go for a walk if I want to. Work are actually pretty supportive of all this, as long as the work gets done they don’t much care and are quite big on the mental health and welfare side of things so encourage daytime walks and flexibility .

I actually get through a lot more work than if I’m in the office. Think it’s because I kind of work in bursts of energy so if I feel like it, I just start early, or keep working till I’m finished something rather than thinking I have to head for the underground and have to stop.

I really hope that work let us stay WFH for the future. 

Edited by Jambomo

Technically, I could work from home, but literally everyone else at work is on furlough, so I wasn't given the choice. 80% of minimum wage is shite, even without the extra expenses involved in going out. It's the not knowing how long it's going to last that's driving me nuts, although thankfully my employers aren't pulling the same shit they did last time - two months spent hearing "we'll have you back in next week/no, wait, we've changed our minds".

Not working is lovely, but I need to get back to being active or I'll be a panting blob by the time this is over. Hoping February is going to be The Month In Which All Of The Things Get Done.

My hubby  has worked in healthcare IT as a remote employee for 14 years and before that he was a traveling IT healthcare consultant for about 6 years. His job is not moving off shore. His entire company is working remotely right now and have been since mid-March (I've been studying remotely, use educational resources like https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/freshessays/). They are reassessing the office space. There are no plans to move the work offshore. The company is extremely happy about how much more work has been completed since they went remote. Sure some companies may move work overseas, but most won't. Moving a company overseas isn't a piece of cake nor is it cheap.

Edited by tatf

21 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm almost done with it. Almost a year and coped totally fine, loved it even. But beginning to feel the isolation a bit despite being much luckier than most.

Do you have a company intranet with colleagues photos? Look at them and remember why you never want to meet them again. Make a point of attending a few Zoom or Teams meetings. You'll soon be back on a happily isolated track.

If you are in difficulty, don't contact me. I'd just rather you didn't.

Do you have a company intranet with colleagues photos? Look at them and remember why you never want to meet them again. Make a point of attending a few Zoom or Teams meetings. You'll soon be back on a happily isolated track.
If you are in difficulty, don't contact me. I'd just rather you didn't.
Pm sent x

I have never been a fan of WFH, so 10/11 months of it have been tough. It's probably the isolation that does it, but as someone else said above, I have these bursts of focus where I can power through a ton of work, and can then literally within the same hour just lose all of my focus. Everyday just seems to be a mental rollercoaster, but it's the whole package that's doing that to me - WFH, while living alone, the dark nights and shocking weather of late making going for a walk a real chore.

The Director of my department has been doing quarterly check ins with us all on an individual basis, and I actually said to her a few months back that if this is a more permanent fixture, I will have to consider a different job or career because I can't do this long term.

10 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I have never been a fan of WFH, so 10/11 months of it have been tough. It's probably the isolation that does it, but as someone else said above, I have these bursts of focus where I can power through a ton of work, and can then literally within the same hour just lose all of my focus. Everyday just seems to be a mental rollercoaster, but it's the whole package that's doing that to me - WFH, while living alone, the dark nights and shocking weather of late making going for a walk a real chore.

The Director of my department has been doing quarterly check ins with us all on an individual basis, and I actually said to her a few months back that if this is a more permanent fixture, I will have to consider a different job or career because I can't do this long term.

I think you might be living in the wrong country as well.

Don't tell anybody, but the days I'm actually "in work" with the other guys are great. I quite look forward to Mondays, for the first time in my life. 

We have a cup of tea, chat about the football, have a laugh generally. Occasionally something turns to shit and we have to deal with it, but it's much easier when you're actually there, and with other people, rather than getting stressed out on your own at the kitchen table.

It makes you realise how much of a traditional work day is spent arsing about though.

• 6 months later...

Next month (if the govt change their advice) will likely see me have to go into the office for the first time since the start of lockdown.

I’ve loved the whole wfh experience tbh and am trying to avoid the return on the basis that all I’ll be doing in the office is sitting on teams meetings with folk around the country. Which (as the geographical outlier in the team) is exactly what I can do from the comfort of my own house. Unfortunately, so many of my colleagues down south want to do the same that they’ve instigated the “it’s only fair” approach. (If they have to come in, then you’ll have to come in too). I’ll give it a couple of trips, then I’ll find ways of avoiding it.

I've recently switched jobs. My old employer wasn't putting pressure on people to go into the office, but the future model was to. Be announced next month, which I think will see people in the office more than they have been. Will be interesting to see how that all pans out bit I get the impression some of the senior leaders are more keen to have people back in than others are, so the can of worms might well be opened. 

My new employer's policy is that one day in the office a week is mandatory. When interviewed it seemed to be the case that it would be 3 in and two from home, which I would be fine with. Any more than that and I think I'd become a bit annoyed as I now have a pretty long commute again, having not had one for a while. 

I didn't really enjoy working from home and my trips into the office when it reopened were generally quite depressing as it seemed I was in the minority with my preferences, so I was as well working from home. Definitely more amenable to it now that there's a commute involved again - I was absolutely knackered after two days of travelling in and it was good to get an extra hour in bed. 

Edited by Michael W

On 07/02/2021 at 21:06, Academically Deficient said:

Don't tell anybody, but the days I'm actually "in work" with the other guys are great. I quite look forward to Mondays, for the first time in my life. 

We have a cup of tea, chat about the football, have a laugh generally. Occasionally something turns to shit and we have to deal with it, but it's much easier when you're actually there, and with other people, rather than getting stressed out on your own at the kitchen table.

It makes you realise how much of a traditional work day is spent arsing about though.

^^^ British intelligence officer working the Afghanistan desk imo.

Our work have told us that we'll be 40/60 office/home working intially, switching to a permanent 60/40 office/home by the end of October. One of their suggested working patterns is going in for 1 full day and 4 half days, which they can gtf with as I would have to waste pretty much the entirety of my lunch break commuting on those 4 days. I'll just do 3 full office days and 2 home days if given the choice.

BP have evidently decided to force WFH in order to downsize from their mammoth office in Dyce and move to smaller premises.

Elsewhere, my other half is being told to work from home 2 days a week, meaning my man cave is getting converted into a proper office with proper officey desks and a docking station to replace ye olde trusty shoebox.

Strange times Archie, strange times.

820440256_download(1).jpeg.8bdc198392117e7d1220aef2ef8ad1eb.jpeg

Edited by Hedgecutter

First day back today. Only went into office because my car needed a service (the service place is near my work), and I have some ferry tickets to print out.

Absolutely nothing about the day was more productive than a normal WFH day.

Moving to two-days in office from mid September. Which will be plenty.

3 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Aye, I've been off sick for a couple of weeks and not been keeping up with events. I take it it's still situation normal in downtown Kabul? All good yes? 

You might want to get another line from the doctor.*

* Are lines from the doctor still a thing.

On 30/01/2021 at 13:31, Hillonearth said:

Of course it's happened via a medium none of us would have wanted, but the necessity of telescoping five or ten years worth of incremental change into a few months of big bang has created an opportunity to redefine the paradigm of the rest of our working lives.

6 months old and I’m astonished no one’s yet punted this for the Corporate Nonsense Speak thread. 

Edited by alta-pete