Lockdown Achievements

5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

It'd dead easy. Potato, flour, butter, salt. Mix together then form into flat shapes and fry them up.

I think the key is letting the oil get hot enough before frying, and making sure they're not too thick when you're frying them.

I skin the potatoes then fry up the skin while I'm at it.

Try adding Colemans mustard powder.

Monkman probably didn't know such a thing existed anyway. 

£15 is about my limit on a bottle of wine for drinking in the house.

Tonight’s sees me enjoying the company of a Trivento private reserve Malbec, £10 in Rutherglen Tesco.

I may have a gin or two after.

£15 is about my limit on a bottle of wine for drinking in the house.

Tonight’s sees me enjoying the company of a Trivento private reserve Malbec, £10 in Rutherglen Tesco.

I may have a gin or two after.
Can I recommend that you push it out a tiny wee bit further and give a bottle of Amarone a try (if you havent already). Incredible stuff for a treat. And usually the price is somewhat offset by an ABV of about 15.5% [emoji41]

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Can I recommend that you push it out a tiny wee bit further and give a bottle of Amarone a try (if you havent already). Incredible stuff for a treat. And usually the price is somewhat offset by an ABV of about 15.5% emoji41.png

I tried Amarone once, most of it went down the sink.  Could have been a bad bottle I suppose but not willing to spend the money to find out.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:
I tried Amarone once, most of it went down the sink.  Could have been a bad bottle I suppose but not willing to spend the money to find out.

How come? It is very heavy

I thought it tasted awful, and I’ll drink most red wines.  As I said it could have been a bad bottle but I only managed about half a glass.

I thought it tasted awful, and I’ll drink most red wines.  As I said it could have been a bad bottle but I only managed about half a glass.
Must have been bad. I'd expect a wine aficionado like yourself to love it. Big glass of pure jammyness normally.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Must have been bad. I'd expect a wine aficionado like yourself to love it. Big glass of pure jammyness normally.

I prefer drunk to aficionado tbh.  Seriously I am no expert, just know what I like.  The smokiness of a good Rioja, the smoothness of a good Malbec.  My spending limit is less than that MONKMAN, I’d only go over £10 rarely, though M&S used to do a nice Rioja that was about £12.  Sadly discontinued.

Can I recommend that you push it out a tiny wee bit further and give a bottle of Amarone a try (if you havent already). Incredible stuff for a treat. And usually the price is somewhat offset by an ABV of about 15.5% [emoji41]

You can get a bottle of Amarone for about £15, I actually prefer a Barolo if I’m spending that amount. On the odd occasion I’ll chuck an extra couple of quid for a Chateauneuf du Pape.

For once I’ll agree with old man danger, I do like a Rioja and usually spend about £10 a bottle and get something fairly decent which is more than adequate for sitting on the couch!

I can see me spending a fair bit over the next 3 weeks on red, so I’m open to suggestions.

29 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

For the Rioja lovers, can I recommend this - 

image.jpeg.4c73ea0c92cbd3c4fc2819581891c55d.jpeg

Usually about £10 at Morrisons. Absolutely lovely, one bottle is never enough. 

I’ve had that, and the non Reserve one too.  Nice, but I’d choose Faustino or Campo Viejo ahead of it.

15 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I finally managed to get through on the phone to BT and cancelled BT Sports.

I feel like I've completed one of the labours of Hercules.

Took me 30 seconds online to pause it, ie pay nothing but still get all the channels until the things open up again, or they introduce live bar billiards from Moldova.

Last nights Malbec went down very well, so much so it was accompanied by several gins.

Tonight, I’ll be trying this number for the first time. At a cost of £8.49 from Tesco. Will report back

7F3AF59A-3CEA-48F3-97B4-C07E2FD7B41C-2850-000001AE0EB76104.jpg.b867c06686d98ffe29128f00e5cd4c69.jpg
I really like the Casillero Diablo range. No cheap but often get deals on them. Any of them for 5 or 6 quid is quality