The SPFL vote vote

Who done it?  

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Ian38018 said:

I don't know that they had any choice.

Doesn't the FIFA (or is it UEFA) constitution forbid clubs taking legal action against their parent organisation?

The only route PT would have is through the Court of Arbitration for Sport. 

That would be for taking action against the SFA,  the spfl are a different kettle of fish. 

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I don't see what the problem is with a slightly smaller prize pot. They would only be giving up money for 2 teams at the bottom of league 2.

Last 2 in 18/19 got about £47k each. Would it follow that team 13 & 14 will get slightly less than that, so probably about £90k to find?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

6 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

Lets have a single league of 42 - we would then have 40 teams battling it out for third = Mega competition.     (not) 

6 hours ago, The_Judge said:

Nah...16 maximum imo.

:lol:

5 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

I can understand folks looking for 16 and 18 team leagues for 'variation' but it isn't going to happen for all the myriad (selfish) reasons often cited. TV would turn their nose up at it, lack of Ugly Sisters 4 times a year and Embra derby 4 times a year would see SKY offer even less money than before, never mind the untold fortunes they're offering from next season.

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, at the very least would vote against it because 4 times a season games against each other would disappear, to be replaced with games against teams bringing 150 fans rather than 1,500 - 3,000.

Besides which, the old 18 team league was utterly fucking horrible - f**k all to play for for about 6 months, loads of meaningless games against similar dross, fans picked and chose games to go along to which is why gates swung from 5,000 to 15,000 from one week to the next. The prospect of that will guarantee at least 5 clubs will never entertain it.

14 is the best bet, but probably with a rider to go back to 12 and maybe even 10 which is what those 5 really want.

That is why it won't happen. Those 5 clubs (maybe a couple more) won't let it. £££$$$

Incidentally, anyone who thinks an 18 would propel other clubs into the Title race are wrong.  The suggestion is usually that only playing the ugly sister once home & away will make a huge difference but it won't. The average points difference between league leaders and Best of the Rest after 2 rounds over the last 10 years is 11.1 points.  Unless you imagine Hibs will win 4 more games against the 6 new diddies than Celtic...nah... (for those who think the Rogers factor makes that gap as big as it is, in the 5 years prior to his arrival after 2 rounds was 10.6 points so...y'know...). Besides which, Hearts getting in about Celtic (and sevco maybe) will not add a single fan to attendees at Pittodrie, Easter Road, Rugby park etc. Why would it?

FYI in those last 10 years there have been 3 times the Best of the Rest have been within 5 points of Celtic after 2 rounds. One of those was last season, Kilmarnock 4 pts behind, the other twice Aberdeen when Ronnie was looking after the shop. Strip them out and the average is almost 15 points.

I enjoyed it but I was young and going to football was my hobby. Older fans certainly were a bit more choosy, going by the swing in attendance.

25 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Do you agree with your cohort that you should take the “blue pound” to the English leagues?

England don’t want them and they aren’t a viable option without Celtic going with them which isn’t happening.

Furthermore I don’t think Manchester would be happy with them visiting at any point during the season 😏

Edited by Jinky67

32 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I don't think there is an appetite for reconstruction. At least not for the top division.

I don't think there is an opportunity to squeeze more games in to expand the league with the overall product losing value (4X OF games, each club getting 3 home OF games).

I think the current league set up does a fantastic job of creating interest and meaningful games while maintaining enough integrity. The split occurs after 87% of the season complete.  Some proposals have splits with less than 2/3rds of the season finished.  And could leave some clubs without a meaningful fixture for 5 months.

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

I notice the "evidence" Rangers were banging on about re: SPFL underhandedness has disappeared from Traynor's latest tear-stained dispatch. Will it ever see the light of day, or was it just an invention?

I mean they gave out the vote count during while the vote was still open. I know it isn't a sceret ballot but when the proposition is 1 vote from failing it is underhanded to publicly announce 1 club is responsible for the vote passing or failing. What more evidence do you need?

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I mean they gave out the vote count during while the vote was still open. I know it isn't a sceret ballot but when the proposition is 1 vote from failing it is underhanded to publicly announce 1 club is responsible for the vote passing or failing. What more evidence do you need?

Well, that isn't what Rangers were talking about in their statement, was it? They were making claims of some secret wrongdoing. Releasing the vote count publicly was dubious - but equally, it seems like everyone knew how everyone else was voting by then in any event with the votes being openly discussed in various WhatsApp groups between club directors etc.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Yes, I noticed that at the time, and felt it was an odd thing to do.

But I just shrugged it off as just more Doncaster f**k-wittage.  

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Do you agree with your cohort that you should take the “blue pound” to the English leagues?

I've never been a Roman legionary,  sorry.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I notice the "evidence" Rangers were banging on about re: SPFL underhandedness has disappeared from Traynor's latest tear-stained dispatch. Will it ever see the light of day, or was it just an invention?

Jimbo has left the building.