2 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Hurlford v Bonnyton

Only 2 miles between the clubs

Yup, I once managed to get to games at both in the same evening - early ko at Hurflord because they don't have lights, then scooted round to Bonnytoun for an 8pm ko. I think I missed about 20 minutes.

42 minutes ago, juniorjunior said:

Who are St Cadoc and what can they realistically offer? Sorry I haven’t heard of them. 

Others have mentioned Rossvale and Gartcairn, and I'd add Inverkeithing to that - a brand new team formed by a successful youth club that joined the EoS when the exodus happened in the east. They took a few spankings in that first season but you could see they were laying down the right foundations, and they've kicked on since. They're also clubs that are bringing senior football to new areas - Newton Mearns is a big place. Hopefully they can find a ground nearer home before too long.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

What I will say is first year is going to be the bigget hurdle. So don't judge them or Drumchapel United too harshly. Its going to be massive learning curve balancing their player pathway ideals and having an experienced core.

Inverkeithing is a good example in that sense. Their first season they still had to find their feet and were really struggling, this season they've been a strong contender for promotion.

Just now, Marten said:

Inverkeithing is a good example in that sense. Their first season they still had to find their feet and were really struggling, this season they've been a strong contender for promotion.

They were who I was thinking of as I didn't have the tables for Rossvale and Gartcairn free to hand. But I did have the memory of the opening day 10-0 loss (their only truly poor loss in Conference play) and season finish of 12th. With this year's promotion push showing their growth.

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yup, I once managed to get to games at both in the same evening - early ko at Hurflord because they don't have lights, then scooted round to Bonnytoun for an 8pm ko. I think I missed about 20 minutes.

Others have mentioned Rossvale and Gartcairn, and I'd add Inverkeithing to that - a brand new team formed by a successful youth club that joined the EoS when the exodus happened in the east. They took a few spankings in that first season but you could see they were laying down the right foundations, and they've kicked on since. They're also clubs that are bringing senior football to new areas - Newton Mearns is a big place. Hopefully they can find a ground nearer home before too long.

East Ren is indeed a big place.

St Cadoc's are sharing with St Anthony's next season.

32 minutes ago, TFW said:

Decided to dip my toe back in the water again, now there's a WoSL dedicated page.

I'm looking forward to some new away days, and games at the like of Berwick can be made into overnights away which is always a bonus.

Few things

How long does the LL think that just one promotion place with three teams feeding into it will placate fans of teams, who win their league but see no signs of advancement? I would think there will have to be two up, two down within a short period of time so it doesn't become stale.

There will be no more Junior International matches (I assume) so will there be some kind of international set up so that players can still achieve caps, something like the England "C" team, made up from the non league ranks? Has it been discussed at all? 

You'd only get Berwick if in same league or drawn in the South Cup.

2 up 2 down (maybe more) would most likely happen if the SPFL opened their trapdoor though defo a case for now. 

The England C team played the EoSFL a few year ago if I recall. Not a lot since then but nothing to stop it being feasible again. 

Edited by newcastle broon

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

St Cadocs might change the YC, we'll C

In the interview I saw the other day Beith were saying they would be keeping the Juniors tag. No different to the likes of Camelon Juniors.

The biggest issue for the New clubs for me, will be the same problem that we face at Rossvale, and that is... How will they pull in a crowd ??  

1 hour ago, Pyramidic said:

Just wondering what would be the position if a club wishes to play the bulk of their home games on a Friday night under floodlights. Will the WoSFL show any flexibility on this type of issue?

Think we can put the small petty mindedness of the West Juniors behind us.

Just wondering what would be the position if a club wishes to play the bulk of their home games on a Friday night under floodlights. Will the WoSFL show any flexibility on this type of issue?

That would be for the WoSFL board to decide, but in the EoS if the two clubs are happy to move the fixture then they can.  I think Spartans in the LL play some Friday night fixtures.  The EoS do schedule midweek (winter) fixtures for those clubs with lights.

Do you think there will be a club that wants to do that? Only ones I can think of would be a tenant at a groundshare on a plastic pitch and the ground owner not wanting to run a u20s team.

13 minutes ago, DanMan said:

The biggest issue for the New clubs for me, will be the same problem that we face at Rossvale, and that is... How will they pull in a crowd ??  

A lot of the LL seem to get by with next to no support, fan wise.

Think the funding comes from somewhere else, either a sugar daddy or mums and dads coughing up £50 a month.

That would be for the WoSFL board to decide, but in the EoS if the two clubs are happy to move the fixture then they can.  I think Spartans in the LL play some Friday night fixtures.  The EoS do schedule midweek (winter) fixtures for those clubs with lights.
East Stirling, BSC & Cumbernauld all play some Friday games as well.

Just now, Tutankhamen said:

A lot of the LL seem to get by with next to no support, fan wise.

Think the funding comes from somewhere else, either a sugar daddy or mums and dads coughing up £50 a month.

The attendances at their lowest level still compare to around half the old West Region. Do they have sugar daddies and parents coughing up cash to keep them going? You've also got to keep in mind they're all licenced so there's thousands a year they get from the SFA through the dividend and Scottish Cup. They're also at the top of the non-league structure and so that helps to attract players as well.

19 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

These things do take time. Getting a place to call home will certainly help.

They do... Rossvale have been going 9 years.. Despite the success they have had, as well as playing some decent football... The crowds still don't come... Very difficult for a new team to build a fan base...