Ground improvement/works thread

12 hours ago, Shanner said:

There are a substantial number of 'ifs' in your post so I won't hold my breath for the improvements you're talking about to happen. KRR are probably just relieved to be back in their home town but it would be good to see a bit of graded terrace here and an enclosure there as time passes. I can just about see past artificial pitches if the stadium actually feels like it was built for spectators to enjoy the football. 

Give them a minute. They weren't  even sure they'd  be allowed  in it until recently. 

1 hour ago, Parkranger said:

As mentioned in this instance excellent facilities,  great positivity and backing from community,  club has a bright future . 

Back to grass Saturday i see at cumbernauld let's hope the pitch plays true and isn't dry bumpy and horrible. 

The pitch at Guy's Meadow was looking as good as I've ever seen it last Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Give them a minute. They weren't  even sure they'd  be allowed  in it until recently. 

They knew they were getting in year earlier just took a while for the keys to get dropped off 😆🤡

1 hour ago, CountyinBorders said:

Out of interest, as someone far too young to remember them (other than in Gregory's Girl) what were ash pitches like to play and watch a game on? 

Pretty sure I still have bits of red ash under my skin, and it's getting on for 35 years since I last played on one.

Ball would bounce for miles when it was dry, and sometimes not bounce at all when the pitch was wet.

They were OK as long as you didn't fall on them, dettol and a coarse brush on the knees was never fun. Combine that with the dual threat of being hit on bare skin by a Mitre Mouldmaster then PE was pretty hellish for Glasgow kids.

There were so many pitches crammed in together at Toryglen (where Asda is now) that they pretty much ran into each other. There was about 2 yards between the 18 yard line and the shy line, no wonder we didn't produce any wingers between Jimmy Johnstone and Neil McCann !

15 hours ago, Shanner said:

There are a substantial number of 'ifs' in your post so I won't hold my breath for the improvements you're talking about to happen. KRR are probably just relieved to be back in their home town but it would be good to see a bit of graded terrace here and an enclosure there as time passes. I can just about see past artificial pitches if the stadium actually feels like it was built for spectators to enjoy the football. 

Will all take time as they have had to do a lot already that the council hadn’t done just to get games on the pitch . Im sure they will add facilities along the way . Regarding low attendance and going back down yes im sure the numbers will drop slightly but the amount of new young gans has been very encouraging to see 

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Pretty sure I still have bits of red ash under my skin, and it's getting on for 35 years since I last played on one.

Ball would bounce for miles when it was dry, and sometimes not bounce at all when the pitch was wet.

They were OK as long as you didn't fall on them, dettol and a coarse brush on the knees was never fun. Combine that with the dual threat of being hit on bare skin by a Mitre Mouldmaster then PE was pretty hellish for Glasgow kids.

Yip 100% cant grumble at any of that, all true enough.  The only thing missing,  'Black ash', ohh ffs now that was pain when under your skin, knees but on the side of your hips, painful nightmare

3 hours ago, CountyinBorders said:

Out of interest, as someone far too young to remember them (other than in Gregory's Girl) what were ash pitches like to play and watch a game on? 

Where to start. First, not all ash pitches were the same. 

There was red ash, which was about the best it only peeled the skin off and the ash itself was relatively easy to clean out of any wounds.

Then there was the black ash that wasn't ash more like wee stones on top of concrete this could result in some time off to allow your limbs to regrown like in Deadpool.

Red ash was best for playing on, black ash was akin to playing on the street.

Only times played on grass was at Roseberry, Nethercraigs or Pollok Park, Haggs Road or St.James's in Paisley.

Ash made a man of ye at a very young age.

On 27/07/2024 at 23:16, GordonS said:

Land was cheap a century ago. A football club could buy land on the edge of town without much difficulty and only use it once a fortnight. Now, the cost of development land in or around a town is astronomical. The only way a football club can afford it is if the pitch is in use all week, and that means you need a plastic pitch.

The only non-league clubs I've known move into new grounds with grass pitches in recent times have been donated the land, like Linton Hotspur who have a 99 year lease at £1 per year.

The choices for most clubs are a plastic pitch, groundshare at an established club or disappear.

Thorn Athletic and BSC play in existing grass pitches and in process of upgrading facilities.

As far as pitch quality goes, Thorn was good, BSC resembled a bog with any moisture never mind rain.

15 hours ago, Shanner said:

Have you been hanging about with andy25 and jackdaw.

Almost dropped into Victor Meldrew mode. 😁😁

Where's the cheery, cheeky Shanner.

How long has it taken Talbot to get to where they are at and plenty of trad grounds with parts of the terracings unsafe and unusable now. Don't read grumbles about these 'atmospheric' grounds.

12 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

How long has it taken Talbot to get to where they are at and plenty of trad grounds with parts of the terracings unsafe and unusable now. Don't read grumbles about these 'atmospheric' grounds.

The incredible thing is Rob Roy stadium is a fantastic facility as it is and it will only get better and everyone in the town is delighted with it and to be back home. Place is geared up for top of non league football just need to do it on the park! 

Btw positive vibe and atmosphere at games so far has been excellent. 

Edited by Parkranger

1 minute ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Thorn Athletic and BSC play in existing grass pitches and in process of upgrading facilities.

As far as pitch quality goes, Thorn was good, BSC resembled a bog with any moisture never mind rain.

BSC are effectively groundsharing - it's a joint enterprise with a Gaelic football club and a shinty club, though they use different pitches. They were fortunate to be able to lease a facility from Glasgow Life, who weren't going to re-open it after Covid. I don't know what the rent is but I imagine it will be pretty favourable.

I don't know how Thorn got their ground, does anyone here?

Worth saying, both are fine for the 10th tier of Scottish football and the crowds they get of about 50 or so, but not much higher. They certainly wouldn't be enough for a club like KRR. 

11 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

It's just reality. They won't coast along on the feel good factor indefinitely, and most teams only bother their arses with facilities that will benefit the home support. KRR don't have a big enough fan base to justify them developing much beyond what they already have. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong because I'm sure I'll need to visit it at some point when the rain is pishing down.

30 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I can attest to that, we could play on grass at school if it was dry any drop of rain we were wheeched up from the playing fields into the school grounds to play football on tarmac (with lose stones liberally applied on top). Tought you how to tackle standing up and encouraged you not to dive. (Maybe have tarmac penalty boxes to stop those cheating divers).

Edited by CountyinBorders

45 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Where to start. First, not all ash pitches were the same. 

There was red ash, which was about the best it only peeled the skin off and the ash itself was relatively easy to clean out of any wounds.

Then there was the black ash that wasn't ash more like wee stones on top of concrete this could result in some time off to allow your limbs to regrown like in Deadpool.

Red ash was best for playing on, black ash was akin to playing on the street.

Only times played on grass was at Roseberry, Nethercraigs or Pollok Park, Haggs Road or St.James's in Paisley.

Sure the 50 pitches in Govan near the clyde tunnel, (actually was it classed as Govan) had grass and ash

18 minutes ago, Shanner said:

It's just reality. They won't coast along on the feel good factor indefinitely, and most teams only bother their arses with facilities that will benefit the home support. KRR don't have a big enough fan base to justify them developing much beyond what they already have. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong because I'm sure I'll need to visit it at some point when the rain is pishing down.

If rain is on you can sit in stand can ye not.

It's a good point you make about a number of grounds. There is one shiny covered terracing or stand but the rest of the ground can be either hard or grass standing with no elevation. I do like the grounds like Beechwood, Newlandsfield and Meadow Park (Threave) where there is some choice where you can stand.

Hell even the James McGrory when I used to go had an excellent terracing, albeit all uncovered at that time.

I like to move around the ground. Sad as I am.

Just now, An Absolute Imposter said:

If rain is on you can sit in stand can ye not.

It's a good point you make about a number of grounds. There is one shiny covered terracing or stand but the rest of the ground can be either hard or grass standing with no elevation. I do like the grounds like Beechwood, Newlandsfield and Meadow Park (Threave) where there is some choice where you can stand.

Hell even the James McGrory when I used to go had an excellent terracing, albeit all uncovered at that time.

I like to move around the ground. Sad as I am.

I will certainly be in the stand. Don't want my £5 burger getting soggy.