League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I have a big problem with the initial 14 clubs but not so much the structure.  I do not see any good reason why all the teams in the first playoff position should be promoted and it sits wrong with me.  I am also petty as f**k and demand Partick Thistle remain relegated. 

I think 18 is the best for us all generally, we very obviously haven't reached that level of discussion with our bigger clubs yet but I'd imagine next time round we might be looking at it playing eachother home and away without the need for a split. Not sure how that would look below the top flight either.

18 could leave us with the problem of a terribly mis-matched top flight with a sort of wasteland second tier. I think it's good for the top-flight for the second tier to retain a good level of competition. I think an 18-team top flight doesn't leave enough full-time sides to give us a second tier that fits the bill.

You'd just end up with a yo-yo between the top flight and Championship.

Why are we all obsessed with splits? Most leagues in Europe dont and they are happy enough without having constant tedious reconstruction talks.

16 team leagues 30 games. No meaningless games as playoff fixtures for European/promotion/relegation places.

Make up the shortfall in league games with champions league style Scottish Cup. Another guaranteed 6 games.

No old firm 4 games but tough titties!

55 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think all tribal nonsense aside, this is the most sensible and least divisive thing that could have been done from day 1. It would have saved an awful lot of messing around and bad feeling. Teams being relegated in this scenario were always going to kick up shite and this is the easiest way to just move on quickly. Nothing is perfect, but this would have made sense from the off.

I think that if this had been the league's first proposal most people would just have shrugged, taken the piss out of Hearts for a bit, then moved on.

I think the problem if they had tabled it straight away is that the OF + Aberdeen (and possibly Hibs) may have blocked it. They arguably needed this period of "softening up" before getting to a point where enough clubs *might* be willing to vote it through.

And when I say softening up, I don't mean the Anderson money. It's more to do with clubs looking at the alternatives, realising that they aren't going to get their preferred outcome (not easily, anyway), and then settling for a "least bad" compromise.

Edited by JamesM82

Just now, ftk said:

No old firm 4 games

This is the issue due to the TV deal. No getting round it, thats the game they want to see. In fact if there were more fights and pitch invasions they would prefer that too !

4 minutes ago, ftk said:

Why are we all obsessed with splits? Most leagues in Europe dont and they are happy enough without having constant tedious reconstruction talks.

16 team leagues 30 games. No meaningless games as playoff fixtures for European/promotion/relegation places.

Make up the shortfall in league games with champions league style Scottish Cup. Another guaranteed 6 games.

That's all well and good until Hearts finish bottom after 30 games.

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I think the problem if they had tabled it straight away is that the OF + Aberdeen (and possibly Hibs) may have blocked it. They arguably needed this period of "softening up" before getting to a point where enough clubs *might* be willing to vote it through.

And when I say softening up, I don't mean the Anderson money. It's more to do with clubs looking at the alternatives, realising that they aren't going to get their preferred outcome (not easily, anyway), and then settling for a "least bad" compromise.

Perhaps.

As I mentioned earlier, I think there are probably a few things rumbling on behind what we're seeing play out in the media.

I'd imagine it doesn't damage the tv deal to keep Edinburgh derbies, and I saw some figures a while back (don't have them to hand) of Hearts home games against the Old Firm getting decent viewing figures on the telly.

14 teams long-term makes those games more likely to happen. Same as it makes it less likely each of the smaller clubs will be relegated. So, you can see there are benefits to a 14-team league. Whether or not that gets it over the line, who knows.

53 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Thats an easy one - more cannon fodder to destroy in the early stages and make their lead even more unassailable.

ICT played at Easter Road last season and were comfortably the worst, dirtiest team I have seen for many a year. They are apparently skint, so they will not be able to strengthen either. Hearts would do just fine as they have cash, but Inverness inclusion in the top flight will add absolutely nothing.

Imagine if playing at a higher level garnered a club more money due to higher prize money and bigger attendances. Would be wild.

These kickback boys are very confident. I  dread the sheer amount of Gregg Wallace we’ll have to endure if they are promoted back into the top league. 

5B1D5C4B-92B6-43C1-B3EE-27A33DE1FB2C.gif.0b5828fa0e004e004e02e0590c59406b.gif

To be fair, if Hibs had been shite enough to get themselves into the same position but gained a reprieve I’d do the same. 

This is the issue due to the TV deal. No getting round it, thats the game they want to see. In fact if there were more fights and pitch invasions they would prefer that too !
But why are other leagues not obsessed with their big teams playing each other 4 times and having smaller leagues?

I know a few countries in Europe have smaller leagues but most have 16 or 18 or 20 leagues.

1 minute ago, Zing. said:

These kickback boys are very confident. I  dread the sheer amount of Gregg Wallace we’ll have to endure if they are promoted back into the top league. 

5B1D5C4B-92B6-43C1-B3EE-27A33DE1FB2C.gif.0b5828fa0e004e004e02e0590c59406b.gif

To be fair, if Hibs had been shite enough to get themselves into the same position but gained a reprieve I’d do the same. 

If hibs had been in that position us kickback boys wouldnt celebrate it like a 5-1 scottish cup final win over our derby rivals :)

25 minutes ago, ftk said:

Tell that to SKY … … … who pays the piper