Masks  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Unfortunately this country has a minority of arseholes who will think sneaking on a mask now and again will mean they are safe and will start being anti social again.

If we were as well behaved as japan or Korea then it would work. Has anyone actually worn a mask all day?

I wore one at work a few years back and even after a few hours it was wrecked.

Will wear one if I have to but wont be using it for more than a day without binning

Longest I've worn one is 5 hours when working a couple of weeks ago in a classroom with 20 kids.

I don't wear one outside generally unless it's a busy populated area.

15 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

No, but those people ought to be shielding at home as far as possible. 

Obviously there are folk on the thread in different countries at different stages of this. But as of now, in the UK, my post is factually correct. 

If you follow the social distancing guidelines in respect of shielding yourself if you are vulnerable, only going out if it is genuinely essential, remaining 2 metres away from other people and washing your hands frequently, a mask is redundant. 

Unless the 2 metre thing is an underestimate for practical purposes. A mask on top of that will reduce the risk of transmission further, especially if you find yourself on a crowded bus, I don't think anyone would dispute that. The policy has been to discourage them for non essential frontline use, which is fair enough, but it doesn't mean they don't work, just that you should make your own and wash them rather than buy them off the internet.

Edited by welshbairn

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

95% plus of hospital space aren't doing that either, but everyone has to put one on as soon as they arrive because humans generate their own aerosols.

I work in a hospital and I can guarantee you not everyone is wearing a mask. Far from it. People in patient facing roles are wearing masks. Most folk are not. 

If you could guarantee a steady supply of effective masks then crack on. At the moment we don't have that. Wearing a scarf over your face is going to have f**k all effect. If you're going to do it, do it properly, make it mandatory and get people proper access to decent kit. Anything else and we are kidding ourselves. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I won't be a sheep with a daft mask. I'm getting a cape, Bela Lugosi style.

unnamed%20(1).jpeg

I think that's Ed Wood's chiropractor.

If this thread's proven anything, it's that there are a remarkable number of amateur scientists in the general population.

When an airborne flesh-eating zombie virus arrives, there'll be a good percentage of folk still refusing to do as they're fucking told on principle and infecting every other c**t because they know better and it's their right to do so. Thank f**k we don't have combat weapons like the Yanks.

12 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

If this thread's proven anything, it's that there are a remarkable number of amateur scientists in the general population.

When an airborne flesh-eating zombie virus arrives, there'll be a good percentage of folk still refusing to do as they're fucking told on principle and infecting every other c**t because they know better and it's their right to do so. Thank f**k we don't have combat weapons like the Yanks.

The amateur scientists are on both sides of the mask 'debate' to be fair. If you want to wear one then crack on, but it's doing you no good unless it's medical grade, and those are needed somewhere other than Lidl at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I’ve seen Cockneys v Zombies and am comfortable that Alan Ford will save us all.

image.jpeg.1922f28ea5f72a7e364516da308880a0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’ve seen Cockneys v Zombies and am comfortable that Alan Ford will save us all.

I'd add Father Ted on his Kiwi holiday to that team of zombie-slaying badasses.

27367301.gif

5 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

The amateur scientists are on both sides of the mask 'debate' to be fair. If you want to wear one then crack on, but it's doing you no good unless it's medical grade, and those are needed somewhere other than Lidl at the moment. 

Covering your mouth won't stop you from getting it but it in part will stop you from spreading to others.
I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge by now.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Covering your mouth won't stop you from getting it but it in part will stop you from spreading to others.
I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge by now.

A decent number of folk will answer that with, "what's in it for me?"

We're utterly fucked if and when anything more serious hits us. It's a miracle we've made it this far as a species.

If it's better for society for me to wear a mask then I'll wear one. It's not "mandatory" for me to flush a public toilet after I've done a shite but I would still do it.

We got told on Tuesday by Nicola Sturgeon that it might be a good idea to cover your nose and mouth in shops if possible, even if it's with a scarf. I'd not get arsey about anyone not wrapping a scarf round their face but I'll be doing so myself in Morrisons cause it's been suggested that it could help. It's certainly not higher risk and does not inconvenience me in the slightest so I'll just do it.