What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 20:14, eez-eh said:

It was The Athletic (who else?) with an entire article about this.

Of course no other playmaking midfielder on the planet look ups to see what’s going on around them.

For youngsters who are turning out in parks and playgrounds it's a useful lesson by example

I remember reading basically the same article about Glen Hoddle 

But there's only so much help an article in Shoot! can provide so I didn't grow up to be an international footballer

Maybe in my next life I will

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 16/05/2024 at 21:41, Jambomo said:

The offside rule, as it is now. Does it honestly matter, if someone on the far touchline has half a foot in front of the last defender when putting a cross in? It shouldn’t matter anyway but I think you should have to be in the box to be offside. 

Agree on the first part. Offside shouldn't be subject to any kind of off-field review, as if it's close enough to make an error with, then it doesn't really matter.

Disagree on the second point. Offside is the most important rule in the sport. Tactically the game doesn't work without it, and making offside only count in the penalty box would make the game much worse to watch. You'd stretch the game so much that there would be incredible amounts of space all over the pitch.

I posted about this elsewhere but he’s the latest tripe served up by the athletic who charge you £60 a year for the privilege of reading it

Gareth Southgate will of course be picking his squad based on “good lad vibes”

The new trend of treating the number of times an attacking player gets fouled as if its a positive statistic and not evidence the player doesnt release the ball quick enough.

Seems entirely designed to give Jack Grealish any sort of positive statistic.

9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

The new trend of treating the number of times an attacking player gets fouled as if its a positive statistic and not evidence the player doesnt release the ball quick enough.

Seems entirely designed to give Jack Grealish any sort of positive statistic.

My bugbear with this is the pundits never questioning stats at all. They're generally thick as mince/brain damaged ex-pros who didn't go to school, so it shouldn't be a surprise, but they throw out stats in lieu of actual analysis as if they speak for themselves.

Rubbish.

22 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Large scale pitch invasions when a team wins a play-off to avoid relegation.

Came on to post this. Pitch invasions in general. Overdone now. I think the thing that annoys me about them is that you can almost guarantee about 90% of the folk on the pitch haven't attended a game before that day. 

Dunno if this has been said but kids who bring signs asking for a players shirt. I'll know football is completely gone the day I see that at Palmerston.

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Dunno if this has been said but kids who bring signs asking for a players shirt. I'll know football is completely gone the day I see that at Palmerston.

I thought about taking a "Ferguson, can I have your top?" sign last season. I thought it would guarantee he couldn't play the week after. 

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought about taking a "Ferguson, can I have your top?" sign last season. I thought it would guarantee he couldn't play the week after. 

Getting PTSD just you mentioning that name.

21 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Their more likely to be handing shirts back, the last few years at QoS.

Another thing which annoys me, which you only see at elite level football is people caring who their “sporting director” or “technical director” are. Seen on Sky Sports a few weeks ago a young kid getting a photo with David Brailsford at Man United. Like who honestly gives a f**k.

Pundits saying it shouldn’t be a penalty for hand ball because the player didn’t mean it, short of a Suarez v Ghana situation, no player is ever going to actively choose to handle the ball in the box. It being deliberate or not should only be considered in terms of booking the player. 

All these new stats that appear ever year, things like xG I can understand but when they’re saying “duels won and “successful dribbles” etc it drives me mental. What determines a “successful” dribble? If you run by a midfielder in to a crowded area is that successful dribble? You’ve got by him but you’ve not gained any advantage. You can “win” a duel if the ball bounces off you and onto a team mate but that is just luck, it also doesn’t mean you’re in a better position, say it goes to your fullback who’s immediately under pressure and blasts it up the park to no one?

There’s so many stats now that people will find any one to claim a player they like actually played well despite anyone who actually watched the game knowing they done f**k all. 

Sorry if this has been mentioned here before, but I couldn't find it - subs that aren't ready to come on. Not even wearing their tops, causing everyone to wait while they get dressed for that thing they knew they were probably going to be expected to do. How hard is it to be kitted up like everyone else before the game starts?

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned here before, but I couldn't find it - subs that aren't ready to come on. Not even wearing their tops, causing everyone to wait while they get dressed for that thing they knew they were probably going to be expected to do. How hard is it to be kitted up like everyone else before the game starts?

There's certainly times that's deliberate to slow the game down, others it's not great, I also find it quite funny the desperation to show some things on an iPad. Yes it's good to give more info, but you'd hope this would be constantly relied to subs and not try in have them learn if all whilst pulling their socks up

On 30/05/2024 at 23:36, GordonS said:

Saw that at the Aberdeen East end-deveronside game last week.why doesn't the ref just say "play on,next break he can come on,if he's ready"!

• 2 weeks later...

The proliferation of woke e-tickets.

Obviously bad for ticket perverts like me who just like having and keeping a physical ticket, but also deprives the humble fan of one of football's joys: an irate supporter invading the pitch to throw their (season) ticket at a hapless manager.

On 30/05/2024 at 03:17, The Golden God said:

Pundits saying it shouldn’t be a penalty for hand ball because the player didn’t mean it, short of a Suarez v Ghana situation, no player is ever going to actively choose to handle the ball in the box. It being deliberate or not should only be considered in terms of booking the player. 

All these new stats that appear ever year, things like xG I can understand but when they’re saying “duels won and “successful dribbles” etc it drives me mental. What determines a “successful” dribble? If you run by a midfielder in to a crowded area is that successful dribble? You’ve got by him but you’ve not gained any advantage. You can “win” a duel if the ball bounces off you and onto a team mate but that is just luck, it also doesn’t mean you’re in a better position, say it goes to your fullback who’s immediately under pressure and blasts it up the park to no one?

There’s so many stats now that people will find any one to claim a player they like actually played well despite anyone who actually watched the game knowing they done f**k all. 

It's rubbish. Stats themselves often can't tell you much, but made-up nonsense stats are even worse. It's as if those who are in charge of broadcasting the game don't have the confidence that their product (the most popular sport in the world) is enough to hold interest, that more intrigue has to be manufactured in the form of bullshit statistics. I now actively ignore anyone who starts going on about xG and other related nonsense. And Guardiola can f**k off an a'.

On 27/05/2024 at 12:46, 19QOS19 said:

Came on to post this. Pitch invasions in general. Overdone now. I think the thing that annoys me about them is that you can almost guarantee about 90% of the folk on the pitch haven't attended a game before that day. 

I’d build a gun tower in the corner of all grounds and mow down anyone who pitch invades.  Would soon put an end to it.

As you say, most regular fans don’t pitch invade, it’s day trippers attention seeking or a sheep effect because others have done it. 

If you weren’t a fat waste of space you might have earned the right to be on the park, but you are, so stay in the stands with the rest of us.