What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

My current pet hate is "football people" who don't seem to understand that "common sense refereeing" and "we just want consistency from referees" are contradictory. 

Here's Dyche mouthing off about the fact that the referee applied a law as written rather than arbitrarily make it up for himself. 

"The only thing that worries me about the rules now is the experienced referees used the rules, now everyone says the rule is that and end of story. That is where the rule has to have flexibility." 

I'm really fed up of managers whining about "we just want the rules to be applied consistently" then moaning that "the rules are too black and white". No shit Sherlock, that's what you asked for. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

My current pet hate is "football people" who don't seem to understand that "common sense refereeing" and "we just want consistency from referees" are contradictory. 

Here's Dyche mouthing off about the fact that the referee applied a law as written rather than arbitrarily make it up for himself. 

"The only thing that worries me about the rules now is the experienced referees used the rules, now everyone says the rule is that and end of story. That is where the rule has to have flexibility." 

I'm really fed up of managers whining about "we just want the rules to be applied consistently" then moaning that "the rules are too black and white". No shit Sherlock, that's what you asked for. 

This was my response too. Managers demanding perfection from referees and then complaining bitterly when they get it. 

On the other hand it is a positive that they're now seeing how inconsistency isn't so bad. We're never returning to that though, it'll be games reffed by algorithm next.

1 hour ago, Chris Partlow said:

Blair and Alistair Campbell also wanted a British League and Rangers and Celtic to play a friendly in Belfast wearing each others strips.

They settled for invading Iraq instead.

Can't find it but the memo from Campbell to Blair explaining his plan was absolutely hilarious 

This is again more of an irritation than a 'hate', but matchgoing fans who get on the back of the team when a 'negative' (i.e. defensive) game plan is clearly working well. 

A good example from Aberdeen v Eintracht Frankfurt at Pittodrie a few weeks ago. It was 0-0 in the first half and not a huge amount was happening, but because we were in a low block (apologies), Frankfurt - an obviously superior team who had just beaten Bayern Munich 5-1 the previous weekend - were struggling to break through us or create anything of note. Aberdeen had clearly been instructed not to press too high out of possession, to settle into a compact shape, and to drop deep to limit space for runners. It worked very well and was clearly the best approach we could have taken in that game. But apparently not: despite being comfortable against a good Bundesliga side, I had numerous fans near me audibly berating the players and management to "wake up", "get stuck in", etc.

I found it a bit funny, but was also quietly seething. 

11 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

This is again more of an irritation than a 'hate', but matchgoing fans who get on the back of the team when a 'negative' (i.e. defensive) game plan is clearly working well. 

A good example from Aberdeen v Eintracht Frankfurt at Pittodrie a few weeks ago. It was 0-0 in the first half and not a huge amount was happening, but because we were in a low block (apologies), Frankfurt - an obviously superior team who had just beaten Bayern Munich 5-1 the previous weekend - were struggling to break through us or create anything of note. Aberdeen had clearly been instructed not to press too high out of possession, to settle into a compact shape, and to drop deep to limit space for runners. It worked very well and was clearly the best approach we could have taken in that game. But apparently not: despite being comfortable against a good Bundesliga side, I had numerous fans near me audibly berating the players and management to "wake up", "get stuck in", etc.

I found it a bit funny, but was also quietly seething. 

I think some view being out of possession means your not in control.   Absolute panic that 2 guys on the halfway line are passing it between each other. 

• 2 months later...

Brain games, 'LA-style' creator labs & TikTok: Embracing innovation at Juventus - BBC Sport

Does this qualify as about football or about society?

Juventus have found many younger fans are now deciding which clubs to follow not based on family affiliations or where their star players are, but rather those who produce the best content. Think Wrexham as an extreme example.

Local fans have the geographical pull and connection of going to the stadium, but Juventus calculate 90% of their fanbase is now outside of Italy and recently built what Armstrong describes as a "LA-style" creator lab to feed that wider audience, bringing together influencers, creators, editors and videographers.

They have become a leading TikTok account in the process and were the first club to deliver a mini-series on the platform, focusing on their 'Next Gen' side, having previously produced an All or Nothing series on the first team for Amazon.

"We have done a lot to differentiate ourselves and we are seeing the results," explains Armstrong. "In a time where we have seen Ronaldo exit Juventus, we have actually seen a dramatic growth in our video views."

Rather than other football clubs, Armstong sees Juventus competing for engagement with the likes of WWE, the NBA or Disney.

"For me, that is why innovation is extra important because the competition is all industries within the media world now," he says.

"People don't wake up and programme their day, say 'OK, I'm going to watch BBC Sport at this moment and then read these articles here, and tune into Juventus there…' it is just everything is being thrown at them all at once and we all need to try and find a way to earn attention.

"Most teams rely on big, star players with hundreds of millions of followers and performance on the pitch to drive the digital business, what we're building is a model that is working without the necessity to rely on huge star players and, to some extent, performance on the pitch."

On 28/12/2023 at 21:30, D Angelo Barksdale said:

"The Belfast United striker exclusively revealed to us how manager Adams' explosive half time team talk* ignited their second half comeback"

* voiced by an actor.

• 4 weeks later...

Folk (pundits in particular and as a result more "folk" pedal this pish) who think contact in the box in a contact sport like Football means penalty if a player goes down. 

Watching the Leeds game and the fanny co-commentating (usually talks shite tbf, Alan Smith I think?) claims the Leeds penalty is a stonewaller because the defender made contact with his hip on the other player. Make the sport non-contact and be done with it ffs. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Folk (pundits in particular and as a result more "folk" pedal this pish) who think contact in the box in a contact sport like Football means penalty if a player goes down. 

Watching the Leeds game and the fanny co-commentating (usually talks shite tbf, Alan Smith I think?) claims the Leeds penalty is a stonewaller because the defender made contact with his hip on the other player. Make the sport non-contact and be done with it ffs. 

Don Goodman I think.