The Dundee United Thread 22/23

18 hours ago, gannonball said:

Watt is a total confidence player...

We've ruined a lot better players than Tony Watt - let's see what happens.  And yes, before anyone makes the point, I'm just as cynical as @mishtergrolsch...

17 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I just feel its got Lee Miller written all over it.

I made the same comparison a few pages back - a number of similarities.  

17 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

My worry is that I am not sure the system we play is best suited to Tony Watt's strengths. We shall see

Am I right in saying that Watt has been played wide left as part of a front 3?  If so, we'll have to completely change our system to fit him in...

14 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

And don’t forget the Zwick & Szromnik double act, which was a major contributory factor in our relegation

For obvious reasons, I had blanked Zwick and Szromnik our of my memory completely.  And I'll definitely try and forget it again.  

14 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

How many other than Shankland were a relative success?

Collin Samuel.  Derek McInnes.  Paul Ritchie.  Lee Miller.  Warren Feeney.  Danny Cadmarteri.  Rudi Skacel... back in the day when we made marquee signings, we had a ridiculous ability to turn decent players into absolute duds.

13 hours ago, amnarab said:

Desperately hoping Ashgar uses his Fiorentina connections to sign a striker. He's friends with their Sporting Director Nicolas Burdisso

He's a bit old, but could probably do a job in there alongside Edwards and Mulgrew - get him signed!

13 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Another interesting link up. Wonder which Fulham kids will be arriving this window then

https://news.stv.tv/sport/dundee-united-announce-partnership-with-english-side-fulham

I'm absolutely delighted with this (even though I'm aware it will likely lead to nothing...) - have a real soft spot for Fulham having spent this summer living round the corner in Parsons Green.  

Talking of our links, when is the next superstar coming across from Boca Juniors?

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Adam Taggart, Lauri Dalla Valle, Keanu Marsh-Brown.

Fulham owe us big time for that litany of shite.

Harsh - he was absolutely unplayable in an away game at East End Park, which was one of the high points of that entire season: Match report.

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

You offer Flo Kamberi a Pre Contract today...

Is this true?  I think his performance for Aberdeen against us in the Cup last year was literally one of the worst attacking displays I've ever seen: Daily Record article that oddly concentrates on his use of gloves.

21 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

The good folk over on Facebook seem convinced we are signing Zander Clark and that Johnstone from Celtic on loan is now a done deal with the Japanese having arrived now. 

I can't wait for this window to be over 🤣

Im surprised a Kerr Smith to Fulham deal hasn't been brought / made up somewhere with this so called amazing link up.

That with two "highly promising" ex under 12 International players coming our way.

57 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
16 hours ago, Goldenface said:
Pretty sure that's the joke.

Graham is comfortably the worst CB I've ever seen and will easily be named in the all time worst Dunfermline XI, I'm not even exaggerating.

Coll Donaldson will supercede him before too long, don't worry

Thats the only way the word super could ever be used in a sentence containing Coll Donaldson that isn't followed by an expletive.

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I'm just as cynical as @mishtergrolsch...

Collin Samuel.  Derek McInnes.  Paul Ritchie.  Lee Miller.  Warren Feeney.  Danny Cadmarteri.  Rudi Skacel... back in the day when we made marquee signings, we had a ridiculous ability to turn decent players into absolute duds.

Firstly, ive been highly optimistic by my standards regarding transfers.

Secondly, ill raise you Japanese World Cup goalkeeper and Champions League appearing Eji Kawashima.

Many many more that I've blocked from memory.

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Am I right in saying that Watt has been played wide left as part of a front 3?  If so, we'll have to completely change our system to fit him in...

He's played a few times out there, particularly when van Veen has started.  However, he has had a few spells through the middle this season.  You'll generally find Watt, KvV and Woolery will interchange throughout the game.

Only 2 goals in the last 9 Motherwell games for Tony.  Has the downturn started already...? 

Edited by Desp

Daily Record apparently reporting Carson’s move to Morcambe as a loan till summer, which makes a bit more sense from our side at least. 

I thought when we signed him he was a bit good to just be our reserve. I wonder if we told him he’d be no.1 when Benji was sold only for that move to never materialise? This way hopefully he comes back happy & sharp in the summer. I’m assuming he’s not on a 1 yr deal… 

Edited by Junior_Arab

He played wide of the 3 when Cole was starting as well but as @Desp says they generally interchange.

The whole Watt thing is interesting as he was our POTY last year by an absolute mile but only scored 3 league goals. His value was massive but it was about all the other attributes that he brings rather than him being a goalscorer. Which is why United looking to go all in on him just feels a bit weird if they are explicitly looking for someone to score goals.

It's been said plenty but there's as much chance that he moves to United and reverts to last season's version of himself as he continues the form he's been in over the past 6 months. Which is to say he's still clearly a very good player but not someone who's sat as the league's top scorer.

His goalscoring this season feels like it's been something that's been managed. It's been pointed out a lot on our thread but in his short time at the club Alexander has been able to turn players who were clearly good footballers but who were anything but prolific into goalscorers (Cole and Watt) while Van Veen has low-key chipped in and is on 7 for the season.

A large part of that seems to be down to him explicitly demanding that his strikers focus on scoring goals (which sounds self-evident but having watched Stephen Robinson's sides there are plenty of managers who don't make it a priority as long as they're putting in a shift).

There are suggestions that there were other reasons why Watt was dropped for a while at the start of the season (the rumour is that he had a move south lined up but it fell through in August) but that doesn't make the points Alexander highlights below any less true, specifically when he's talking about the fact that Watt's natural instinct is to be a facilitator.

Alexander reserved special praise for his match-winner in Tony Watt, who took his goals tally to five for the season.

He said: "We had a good honest chat about six weeks ago when he wasn't in the team.

“I told him the reasons why he wasn't in the team and to work on that and he has done.

“He is hitting the target a lot more and he has a real intent to score goals."

Link

However, Watt realised that he needed to improve on his three league goals last term and he’s started in style with two goals in three games this campaign.

Alexander is a massive fan of the former Celtic man and the ‘Well boss admits there is a mutual understanding between the pair.

He said: “We played a game in midweek and he had opportunities there. He turned down shots and he’s looking at me to say that he knows.

“He wants to work for the team and set other people up but he gets in positions where he can take advantage himself.

“Strikers and forward players, ultimately, get judged on numbers - goals and assists. I feel with Tony’s ability that he can score more goals.

“We’ve put the challenge down to him and he’s always up for a challenge."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I would assume Carson signing for Morecambe is a good sign for Siegrist staying, surely that move wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Aye he's away in the summer on a free obviously. Be insane if he hasn't got a Pre Contract lined up somewhere now. 

3 hours ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Nads signs for the Perth Saints... 

I won't lie, I am absolutely sickened by this news. I don't care how shite or not he's been at other teams since leaving or even if he was shite again for us - I just want the beautiful mad b*****d back.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

And i'll be over the moon because I was right and thats all that matters.

american-psycho-smug.gif.4f6f1264845ce7b3237fa5e1bfbcc2d0.gif

You’ll be six feet under*, not sure if that’s over the moon.

* shallow grave equivalent.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

I won't lie, I am absolutely sickened by this news. I don't care how shite or not he's been at other teams since leaving or even if he was shite again for us - I just want the beautiful mad b*****d back.

Same. His spell at Motherwell bypassed me at the time as we were downstairs. But Ciftci signing for the Fermers, jeezo, it’s like Mark E Smith joining Coldplay.