The Dundee United Thread 22/23

This keeper certainly seems to have decent calibre but I can't help but feel slightly glad that the guarantee of your next number 1 still definitely being one of the best keeper's in the league is gone with Carson moving on.

37 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This keeper certainly seems to have decent calibre but I can't help but feel slightly glad that the guarantee of your next number 1 still definitely being one of the best keeper's in the league is gone with Carson moving on.

I'm kind of hoping we go for Carson if Clark leaves tbh. I'm not convinced we'd be getting the worse end of that "swap" if Clark went to United.

Doubt it'll happen though, Carson will be off to England permanently. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm kind of hoping we go for Carson if Clark leaves tbh. I'm not convinced we'd be getting the worse end of that "swap" if Clark went to United.

Doubt it'll happen though, Carson will be off to England permanently. 

I think it was a surprise to Motherwell fans at the time that he joined United as I believe he was making noises about going to Morecambe even back then. Am I right on that? @capt_oats

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think it was a surprise to Motherwell fans at the time that he joined United as I believe he was making noises about going to Morecambe even back then. Am I right on that? @capt_oats

Yeah, that was the story. It was Hartlepool rather than Morecambe though. He had a move lined up to go back there as it suited his family situation.

He spoke about that and the fact Robinson accommodated him when he signed his extension with us in 2020:

“The gaffer understands the personal side of me having a daughter in Newcastle from a previous marriage.

“Since I moved up here three years ago (from Hartlepool United) I get my daughter every Friday, which is not ideal with a game on the Saturday. So I’ll travel down. The manager will sometimes let me crack on a bit earlier on a Friday after training to go and pick her up.

“I don’t travel all the way to Newcastle. To be fair my ex-wife’s quite good, she’ll meet me a wee bit nearer.

“And then on a Monday, the players are usually in (training) but he lets me report at 12 because I stay down in Newcastle on a Sunday night and take my daughter to school on a Monday morning."

Link

This was from an interview just after United 'swooped':

“There was talk of me moving back down to England for family reasons, but once Dundee United came in for me and I spoke to the gaffer and Sporting Director Tony Asghar it was a no brainer to come here."

Link

"Hartlepool manager Dave Challinor has since confirmed the club’s interest in bringing Carson back to Victoria Park but the Northern Ireland international opted to remain in Scotland.

"We’ve had dialogue with Trevor around his situation but nothing happened,” Challinor told The Mail. “I’m sure he’d have loved to be back in the north east, it’s something he and his family were looking to do I think.

"But if the offers he has in Scotland outweigh being able to come back here then we can’t do anything.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

I mean, I wouldn't be adverse to him coming back at

www.footballscotland.co.uk%2Fspfl%2Flawrence-shankland-set-spfl-transfer-22685834&h=AT3yR16yM4hHaexeP_B-9MXb3Lodb_sW6PNdfcIgj_nppBsV3sonv6ehhADCLfaAikBdS5ZjQq98NScqYhAiPR-1qaeeFcEdwCe-tmdvkC_b6bBk5YEzTL5y6doQbQ7Xm_-l 

No hes played for us and the Belgians. Can only sign for us in this window. 

Would love it if we offered the Watt transfer money now for Shankland and wait for watt in the summer. But highly unlikely we would get him for that and obviously ups the wage bill quite a bit as well. Sending Mcnulty back would be an option to offset some if that was in contract but again probably isnt. 

If the Shankland situation is true and If it was up to me, I'd be saying bye bye to McNulty, asking to either ask take Shanks on loan for the rest of the season or chucking said 6 figures claimed for Watt at the Belgians and the rest of the cash down Ogrens sofa to get him back permanently. 

All depending on if he'd come back to us or just ride it out there till the Rangers can buy him.

58 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If the Shankland situation is true and If it was up to me, I'd be saying bye bye to McNulty, asking to either ask take Shanks on loan for the rest of the season or chucking said 6 figures claimed for Watt at the Belgians and the rest of the cash down Ogrens sofa to get him back permanently. 

All depending on if he'd come back to us or just ride it out there till the Rangers can buy him.

Cove? 

8 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

You can play for 3 clubs in a single season.

Hearts will wrap it up in the next few days. 

This is what it says in the rules

Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season.
During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs,
subject to the temporary exceptions below. As an exception to this rule, a player
moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e.
start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible
to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided
he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs.
Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to
the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected.
i. During the following period, players may be registered with a maximum of
three clubs and are eligible to play official matches for three clubs during
one season:
a) for associations following a dual-year calendar: the 2019/20 and 2020/21
seasons; and
b) for associations following a single-year calendar: the 2020 and 2021
seasons.

I'd read that as he'd only be allowed to play for a third team if he moved to a league that plays summer football, but I may be wrong

16 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

You can play for 3 clubs in a single season.

That rule was only in place last season, alongside the 5 sub rule.

There was never any confirmation of either being extended as far as I can see, so both shouldve reverted to normal.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That rule was only in place last season, alongside the 5 sub rule.

There was never any confirmation of either being extended as far as I can see, so both shouldve reverted to normal.

Was just debating this on twitter think FIFA still says 3 but sfa rules say 2 but I don’t know if that is limited to cubs under their jurisdiction?