The Dundee United Thread 22/23

47 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I keep going into the Championship thread by mistake.

People on social media are linking an article today where Neilson talks about money being available for signings of 'value', so for players that could have a decent sell-on we might be in position to do something. Might just be bluster though, and as you say, the current climate will not make it easy to part with any larger sums of cash at the moment.

Large new contract for Pawlett and £3m on some shitehawk he had at MK Dons.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I keep going into the Championship thread by mistake.

People on social media are linking an article today where Neilson talks about money being available for signings of 'value', so for players that could have a decent sell-on we might be in position to do something. Might just be bluster though, and as you say, the current climate will not make it easy to part with any larger sums of cash at the moment.

If the Club are going to spend money on transfers then Id guess Ogren will be footing the cash personally and when said player is sold on hell get his dosh back, a cut of the profit and then the club would scoop the rest.

If hes willing to sign a few ala Nesbitt - reasonably safe bets who would presumably sell for a profit or help reach cup finals and European football - that's cool with me.

Could you fit Nisbet and Shankland in the same line up?

I've not seen enough of either really to judge, but you generally need a workhorse striker if you're playing two up top.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've not seen enough of either really to judge, but you generally need a workhorse striker if you're playing two up top.

If we played 2 up top then yes. It would be madness not to. Shankland works like f**k. Theres alot more to his game than just goals.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Imagine Shankland and Dykes up front in a team, that would absolutely terrorise teams 

Both Nisbet and Shankland’s work rate go unnoticed. They work tirelessly and hold the ball up well linking play as well as scoring. They need better service In the top league and for us that requires 2 wide players imo.

Robbie on Sportsound Podcast today saying we would be keen to sign both Hayes and Nisbet!!!

Sounds too good to be true.

Ogren has backed us to the hilt so far to be fair, but reckon pretty deep pockets would be required to secure both of those, never mind other signing targets which would likely be necessary.

Any thoughts on how realistic this might be?

1 minute ago, MacArab said:

Robbie on Sportsound Podcast today saying we would be keen to sign both Hayes and Nisbet!!!

Sounds too good to be true.

Ogren has backed us to the hilt so far to be fair, but reckon pretty deep pockets would be required to secure both of those, never mind other signing targets which would likely be necessary.

Any thoughts on how realistic this might be?

There's a difference between being "keen" and it actually happening.

I'm keen on becoming a millionaire, doesn't mean it's realistic.

Obviously I hope these signings happen though, if for no other reason I'd rather not take the risk of playing against them next season.

Johnny Hayes doesn't really fit into the template of the signings we have made since Mark Ogren took over, given he would command a huge wage (by our standards) and would have no resale value whatsoever. We don't sign that sort of player unless they have played for MK Dons first.

If the club want to push a policy of signing players with value then that rules out Hayes, however I personally would love to have him at United for a year or so, I’ve always really liked him.

Would think that if Aberdeen are even remotely interested then that would be his preference.

I doubt Aberdeen can afford him given their chairman was claiming they were haemorrhaging £1 million a month. Id be quite happy to take Hayes for a year depending on what sort of wage he would be expecting. If it was too high, move on to someone else. In regards to Nesbitt, we offered £500,000 in january for him and were turned down but maybe it will depend on Dunfermlines financial situation that we get him 'on the cheap'

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Whilst Hayes wouldn't have any sell on value hes surely the best we would get for 12 months in terms of supplying our strikers from the wide areas.

Agreed.

Players have different types of value. Sure, nae c**t thinks Hayes would come in and be sold for a million quid. And yes, he didnt play every week for Celtic, is older and hes had an injury or two but if hed played every game for Celtic we wouldn't be having this conversation.

His value is in his talent and experience. He has played at the top level in Scotland for a long long time, has a great deal to offer in the short term to a club like ours who want to do more than just stay up. 

Comparing him to other wingers, well, winger, in the squad hes vastly superior in that he can cross a ball and take a set piece at the very least. We'll be leaning even more on Shankland this season so hes going to need better service.

I'd say hes the signing that Neilson wanted Pawlett to be. But we all know how that's worked out....

If it's a possibility it would be an absolute yes from me. 

As would Nisbet. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

If the club want to push a policy of signing players with value then that rules out Hayes, however I personally would love to have him at United for a year or so, I’ve always really liked him.

Would think that if Aberdeen are even remotely interested then that would be his preference.

There's got to be a balance though and United have been quite clear about the plan: build a core of experienced players  (Reynolds, Connolly, Butcher, Pawlett) and then try to garnish that with guys whose value will hopefully increase. Hayes would fall into the first category; Nisbet into the latter.

I'd be cautious about signing a 32 (soon to be 33) year old winger but it really depends on whether he's a young 32 or an old 32.  Some guys are still fit as f**k at that age; others are ready for the scrap heap.

All that being said, he'll probably go back to Aberdeen. You don't want to push the boat out too far for a guy at that age and they're a bigger club than us.