The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Better tonight. I think we pressed them higher up the park which forced them into numerous errors. Another good shift from Watt and im delighted thats him off and running in the goals with us now. Not a huge fan of Mcnulty but thought he did reasonably well at linking the play. You could see theres a player in Mcdonald but hes going to need about half a dozen games to get up to speed. Graham was excellent again at the back, hes growing into a cracking player. The only thing that pissed me off tonight was Benji. Im not sure what is going on with his decision making but he nearly cost us two goals. This 'pushing the ball out to the side' bullshit needs knocked right on the head. Cost us at Killie and against Ross County and nearly cost us again tonight

6 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Better tonight. I think we pressed them higher up the park which forced them into numerous errors. Another good shift from Watt and im delighted thats him off and running in the goals with us now. Not a huge fan of Mcnulty but thought he did reasonably well at linking the play. You could see theres a player in Mcdonald but hes going to need about half a dozen games to get up to speed. Graham was excellent again at the back, hes growing into a cracking player. The only thing that pissed me off tonight was Benji. Im not sure what is going on with his decision making but he nearly cost us two goals. This 'pushing the ball out to the side' bullshit needs knocked right on the head. Cost us at Killie and against Ross County and nearly cost us again tonight

Graham has been a revelation.  Long may it continue.

16 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

The pushing it away from goal bullshit that every keeper ever has beentaught to do? That bullshit?

Appeared to me that he got a touch on the first minute strike that cannoned off the crossbar - could've been a very different game.

Just now, ArabFC said:

The pushing it away from goal bullshit that every keeper ever has beentaught to do? That bullshit?

Appeared to me that he got a touch on the first minute strike that cannoned off the crossbar - could've been a very different game.

Hes keeping the ball active. Either get plenty on it or catch the fucking thing. Dont be parrying it a couple of yards to the side. In fact, id rather he put these out for corners and let us defend them than continuing to do that shite. Ps if he has got a touch on that early shot, its a fantastic save

1 minute ago, Twinkle said:

Hes keeping the ball active. Either get plenty on it or catch the fucking thing. Dont be parrying it a couple of yards to the side. In fact, id rather he put these out for corners and let us defend them than continuing to do that shite. Ps if he has got a touch on that early shot, its a fantastic save

He wouldn't be playing for us if he was capable of catching the sort of shot he parried tonight >9/10. Maybe he could/should get more on it, but of all our players I'm loath to criticise the one that's been consistently good for us these last few years.

10 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

He wouldn't be playing for us if he was capable of catching the sort of shot he parried tonight >9/10. Maybe he could/should get more on it, but of all our players I'm loath to criticise the one that's been consistently good for us these last few years.

Im not keen on criticising him cos hes arguably been our best player in the last two seasons. Id say this thing hes doing has only crept into his play in the last couple of months. No idea where its came from

6 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gotta echo the sentiments from others here. What a wee player Graham is turning out to be. 

For his age he's fantastic. Fifers must be mental. 

To be fair think it was just Peter Grant made everyone shit in that team 

Much better tonight. Thought McDonald was excellent, and having a tall player in midfield brings a bit of physicality to our rather nimble lot. Also though Harkes was very good - my motm which is surprising given he is "shit" - perhaps having McDonald there helped Harkes out.

Can only echo what others have said about Graham. Don't think he should be dropped upon Mulgrew's return

Tonight, while not being perfect, was a massive improvement over what's has been served up recently. We moved the ball quicker, we went forward with purpose.

I thought Niskanen was good. You could see what he brings when given the chance to run at the opposition. Watt was good too, as was McDonald who seemed a calm influence in the centre of the park. I thought he allowed the others around him play. Graham though, for some one so young and after a torrid time at Dunfermline which could have knocked his confidence has been excellent recently.

If we can keep the basis of tonights game in thr way we play going forward we should be OK. It certainly gives us something to build on & hopefully helps Courts see that we can take a game to the opposition and not be scared to attack.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Anybody have any info on the McLeod kid. Did he get on as United's youngest ever player cos he's a genuine exciting talent, or just because they could?

I first saw him about 10 years ago and even back then he was impressive. Great left foot, could ping a ball into the top bin of a full size goal even then. I know he’s played consistently a couple of years above his “proper” age group pretty much since the day he signed for United and always scored goals. 

48 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gotta echo the sentiments from others here. What a wee player Graham is turning out to be. 

For his age he's fantastic. Fifers must be mental. 

Is he fantastic or has he just had a few good games?

I'm being cautious with my expectation given how he performed at Dunfermline and also given he was behind (a much younger) Neilson in the pecking order until a few weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Is he fantastic or has he just had a few good games?

I'm being cautious with my expectation given how he performed at Dunfermline and also given he was behind (a much younger) Neilson in the pecking order until a few weeks ago.

Ach gie the laddy some credit he's performed well in some difficult games. Looks calm and composed and defends good for a guy his age.