The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Just now, Tannadeechee said:

We can but hope, although something tells me it might be a forlorn hope.

Well, I've posted the thread up in any case. My suspcion is that it'll be a wee while before it's needed though.

10 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

This isn’t up for debate.

Im just saying Mulgrew asks for the ball in his own box without looking at what’s behind him and has nothing on. Why?

The moment he passed it back I was thinking, oh shit, because I know how ridiculously casual Bitighitti is on the ball.

Mulgrew knows this too. While it’s not his fault, it was fcuking stupid from him too.

I know what youre saying. Ultimately, a good keeper rubbers Mulgrew and launches it up the park wether he's asking for the ball or not.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The keeper is at fault for me.

Could have toed it away with his left, could have launched it rather than pass to a centre half under pressure.

Absolute dog shit.

He could have, but Mulgrew asked for it. That is Mulgrew, member of the coaching team, Birighitti 's boss asking for the ball.

That should not have happened and Birighitti should have had the sense to ignore it.

Mulgrew was culpable as surely to god you look round before you get the ball, he still had time to hoof it anywhere, but knowing he was being chased down passed it back to a keeper he knows is not the most comfortable on the ball inbetween the posts.

Birighitti should have hoofed it first time. He looks like he was trying to do the right thing in putting it out for a throw, but took a touch and we are yet again a goal down.

Birighitti is directly at fault for being to slow, Mulgrew is indirectly at fault for doing everything a 44 cap international, league winner, cup winner, player coach, knows he shouldn't do.

The two of them can GTF as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Tannadeechee

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Not really an excuse tbh.

Given our form, that's the sort of thing that should have been held back until full time, and only posted if we got a positive result

Aye, maybe so. The whole event just seemed really ill conceived, not least because we're still three months shy of the Anniversary. Presumably timed to coincide with Ogren's visit, which may be indicative of where the club is currently - a hobby for an American millionaire. 

It's embarrassing to be onto a 3rd manager within a season but it's gotten to that point now. Fox is out of his depth. He took 75 minutes to make a sub today when we were 1-0 down at home; even then brought on a 16 year old laddie who very well may be a highly rated prospect, but whenever I've seen him he just does not look nearly ready for this level yet. What's the point of giving the likes of Cudjoe a start last week and then rubber him entirely when we're chasing a goal? I've made it clear that I don't rate Niskanen, yet Fox suddenly brings him out of the cold for a couple games only to then decide to not bother with him today when we desperately need a goal. He's got no plan whatsoever.

Levitt's goal today shouldn't detract from the fact that he's particularly regressed over this season under Fox.

As for the goalkeeper situation, what's left to say? That's the worst of many f**k ups from him. There's no way back for him now and I didn't even stay to see him getting subbed to hide his blushes.

Edited by captainkev

24 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

He could have, but Mulgrew asked for it. That is Mulgrew, member of the coaching team, Birighitti 's boss asking for the ball.

That should not have happened and Birighitti should have had the sense to ignore it.

Mulgrew was culpable as surely to god you look round before you get the ball, he still had time to hoof it anywhere, but knowing he was being chased down passed it back to a keeper he knows is not the most comfortable on the ball inbetween the posts.

Birighitti should have hoofed it first time. He looks like he was trying to do the right thing in putting it out for a throw, but took a touch and we are yet again a goal down.

Birighitti is directly at fault for being to slow, Mulgrew is indirectly at fault for doing everything a 36 cap international, league winner, cup winner, player coach, knows he shouldn't do.

The two of them can GTF as far as I am concerned.

Mulgrew is on the coaching staff but Birighitti isn't 12 years old. He's 31 and played at international level (not sure if it was at Football though). If he sees a problem that Mulgrew can't, as he can see the full picture, then he should launch it. Not just take the easy but stupid option and pass to Mulgrew.

Unless it's Dave Narey asking for the ball then he shouldn't pass to anyone and just hoof it. Safety first after clawing a goal back.

Then after he gets a hospital ball back from Mulgrew the muppet he should blooter it to Mars and not take a touch. 

Yes Mulgrew was partly to blame for having zero awareness but the keeper is right to go off with a full body minter. Absolutely horrendous stuff.

He and Fox should be at the juniors. 

ETA anyway its irrelevant now. What matters is that Tony and Fox are punted and people with footballing experience are recruited.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

I’ll go back to it again. I couldn’t gie a fcuk how much Watt might’ve been sulking, there’s no way he should have been allowed to leave in the window with no replacement.

And ironically today we reverted to a 433 which was probably the best system for him - playing off the left in support of a big central striker.

Instead the only option we’ve got is a 16yo.

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

To be fair, once a manager fails at Cowdenbeath, that’s usually their next step. Promoting them several divisions is a bold manoeuvre. 

And, for the avoidance of doubt, by “bold manoeuvre”, I mean fucking lunacy. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

3 minutes ago, captainkev said:

It's embarrassing to be onto a 3rd manager within a season but it's gotten to that point now. Fox is out of his depth. Fox took 75 minutes to make a sub today at 1-0 down at home and even then brought on a 16 year old laddie who very well may be a highly rated prospect, but whenever I've seen him just does not look nearly ready for this level yet.

As for the goalkeeper situation, what's left to say? That's the worst of many f**k ups from him. There's no way back for him now and I didn't even stay to see him getting subbed to hide his blushes.

Re. the subs, I've lost count of the number of times we have been behind and Fox has made a like for like change in injury time. Today it was Cudjoe coming on after 90 minutes. Absolutely pointless. The game's over before the player is able to get up to speed. 

I would definitely be getting rid of Fox now. He may well be a good guy and a decent coach, no idea, but he's been overpromoted and he's not the only one. I've run out of excuses for Asghar too. I do think a lot of the criticism which he's been subject too has been unfair (because he's a fat, ex polis, ***)  .. but, there's a common denominator with the run of managers and the position he has left us in after the transfer window is reckless at best, I'd personally say negligent. Ultimately Asghar is responsible and that's where the significant change has to happen. I won't hold my breath.

6 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Mulgrew is on the coaching staff but Birighitti isn't 12 years old. He's 31 and played at international level (not sure if it was at Football though). If he sees a problem that Mulgrew can't, as he can see the full picture, then he should launch it. Not just take the easy but stupid option and pass to Mulgrew.

Unless it's Dave Narey asking for the ball then he shouldn't pass to anyone and just hoof it. Safety first after clawing a goal back.

Then after he gets a hospital ball back from Mulgrew the muppet he should blooter it to Mars and not take a touch. 

Yes Mulgrew was partly to blame for having zero awareness but the keeper is right to go off with a full body minter. Absolutely horrendous stuff.

ETA anyway its irrelevant now. What matters is that Tony and Fox are punted and people with footballing experience are recruited.

I'm not saying Birighitti wasn't at fault, he clearly was as I said he needs to first time it clear , but Mulgrew has been at fault for a few issues this season and I believe not following Courts' instructions either. He seems to be getting an easy ride but they can both GTF.

Birighitti's international  career is vastly overstated. He has one cap and it was fecking years ago.

We can only hope that we can get someone in that has a clue, because we can all see where we are failing. We have more caos in the squad now than we have had for years and years. We've spent big on players. We don't need players we need a team! But surely to God there must be someone out there unntil the end of the season you can use what we've got rather than try to make them fit a system that is tacticlly inept from the start

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I know the reasons (and haven't seen the goal yet) but Mulgrew has won a good few more caps than Narey. Make of that what you will but the number of caps was given earlier as one of the reasons for following Mulgrew's orders.

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I know the reasons (and haven't seen the goal yet) but Mulgrew has won a good few more caps than Narey. Make of that what you will but the number of caps was given earlier as one of the reasons for following Mulgrew's orders.

God knows what point you're trying to make here.