George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've lived (largely but not exclusively) away from Scotland since 1981 so have missed this.

When were the Scotch, the most slavey people in Europe, subject to societal racism?

Oh. Great question. 

Depends on your definition of slavery.  Work the the land, take just enough to feed you , the rest is mine.   Is that slavery?

I think the get out clause is 'what defines race'?

I await the  replies with genuine interest.

1 minute ago, Mr Waldo said:

Oh. Great question. 

Depends on your definition of slavery.  Work the the land, take just enough to feed you , the rest is mine.   Is that slavery?

I think the get out clause is 'what defines race'?

I await the  replies with genuine interest.

My point was that Scotland, more than any other country in Europe, gained from the Atlantic slave trade (the most slavey) and that to describe we Scotch as being subject to, " institutionalised racist attitudes" is not something I have ever experienced. 

That is probably answering a Q you didn't ask.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The League of Gentleman and The Mighty Boosh have been cancelled so racism is one step closer to being solved. 

You can still obviously watch a million shows or movies where an American kills foreigners by the dozen though. 

You forgot Little Britain being taken off streaming sites as well. Yet White Chicks still remains 🙄

48 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've lived (largely but not exclusively) away from Scotland since 1981 so have missed this.

When were the Scotch, the most slavey people in Europe, subject to societal racism?

Was it something to do with Barcelona 1972 or Motherwell 2015?

The first ship that Engerland hero Admiral Nelson served on belonged to slave traders, he went to the West Indies on it. 
Is there a chance that a building plot could soon be available in Trafalgar Square?

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Or it might have been Manchester. Cannae mind the year that you Scotch muppets embarrassed yourselves most recently

My old man used to want to blow up the statues in George Street. Not through any ideological objections but because they were a traffic hazard before they put in lights.

So: Pitt- mate of Wilberforce and seemed to favour abolition. Dundas was part of his administration though.

George IV- the Boris of his day. Don't know if he is racially iffy or not.

Chalmers- God bothering philanthropist who helped the poor. Also believed the poor had too many kids. File under "iffy" 

So replace these old outdated figures with Begbie, Young Fathers, Margo McDonald and the Melville Column will now be the Sir Albert Kidd column.. :lol: 

11 minutes ago, supermik said:

The first ship that Engerland hero Admiral Nelson served on belonged to slave traders, he went to the West Indies on it. 
Is there a chance that a building plot could soon be available in Trafalgar Square?

Glasgow had the first Nelson Memorial in Britain, the racist weegee b*****ds.

Edinburgh's looks like a telescope and has a ball that drops at 1pm (steady). I suppose you could put two round buildings next to it and make it look like a cock and balls..

Here's the thing. The Colston statue was put up in 1895, two hundred years after he was a slave trader. This was at the end of a century which had seen the abolition of slavery and the widespread acceptance that the slave trade had been a bad thing. The statue was erected by a group of businessmen; attempts to raise money to pay for it through a public subscription failed.

Seems like the erection of the statue was the real attempt to rewrite history against the wishes of the population by portraying the slave trade w**k as a philanthropist good guy

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Glasgow had the first Nelson Memorial in Britain, the racist weegee b*****ds.

Edinburgh's looks like a telescope and has a ball that drops at 1pm (steady). I suppose you could put two round buildings next to it and make it look like a cock and balls..

@throbber's yer man to design that.