George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

11 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Well firstly a vocal minority should not be allowed to implement change, we live in a democracy. Should we all become vegetarian or vegan because ten percent of the population find the consumption of meat objectionable. Also changes to society should not be implemented by mobs, but through democratic means.

Did you think we lived in a democracy when a vocal minority, ie Tony Blair, decided we should invade Iraq against the will of the people?

Oh dear. Ad hominem. It's very easy to call people names when you're sitting safely behind your keyboard in Yorkshire. If that's your level of debate then you're going on ignore.
Nope. An ad hom is saying "you're an idiot, therefore you are wrong"
What WRK said was basically, "you're wrong, therefore you are an idiot". Different thing entirely.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It really wasn't much trouble, but thank you.

Maybe you could explain how you, an individual idiot emigrating to Italy is an excellent comparison to generations of an entire demographic living in the UK.

What is it with people on here? I'm perfectly polite, and willing to have a reasonable debate, but I'm met with abuse. 

So your point is that it is a question of numbers and generations? I'm quite sure there must be a few thousand Britons living in a city as large as Rome, and I would imagine there might be many thousands of people from other territories that were subjugated and oppressed by the Romans. But for argument's sake, suppose 10,000 Britons moved to Rome and established a community there. After a couple of generations, would it be legitimate for the descendants of those British children to demand the removal of statues commemorating Roman Emperors who enslaved their ancestors? 

12 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Well firstly a vocal minority should not be allowed to implement change, we live in a democracy. Should we all become vegetarian or vegan because ten percent of the population find the consumption of meat objectionable. Also changes to society should not be implemented by mobs, but through democratic means.

Well Yes, that's what they were trying to force on us last year.

Remember, there always has to be SOME cause to get behind and be "outraged" about.

That's modern society I'm afraid.........

10 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Oh dear. Ad hominem. It's very easy to call people names when you're sitting safely behind your keyboard in Yorkshire. If that's your level of debate then you're going on ignore.

He's right though. That monstrosity you've got in your signature marks you out as an idiot before we even read a word of your posts.

31 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

There is one fortunate group who are, in the overwhelming majority, free of the experience of being treated as another's property, and direct or indirect racism based on their faith or skin colour so that they an see this as largely theoretical - white Westerners. As we have no experience of this issue, maybe it's time for us to shut the fúck up for a change and listen to what people have experienced, are experiencing and, without the will to change our society, will continue to experience.

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Seriously? That's your takeaway from my post?

What am i like? reading the words, eh! 

For what it's worth i think that we should take people's strength of feeling on subjects like this into account.  I think that most people should agree that a civilised country should remove the offending statues from public. 

However, lots of people don't agree with this. If you don't engage with them then how do you know who can be persuaded to the right view and who is a lost cause. 

Specifically saying that white people's views are less important is the sort of shit that can push people who may have  been  reachable intothe arms of Farage, Trump et al. 

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I hope you watched the footage of the Floyd funeral, it was turned into a circus ppv event and was nothing other than a pathetic PR stunt, I don't know about you but I've got more respect for people than that.

The disingenuous wannabe brigade would just make you sick and sadly it's started here.

I'm sorry, but you can keep your token faux outrage and your childish anarchy stunts shove them right up your arse..............

There's really only been one person outraged about anything in the last couple of days on this thread that I can see tbh

3 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

What is it with people on here? I'm perfectly polite, and willing to have a reasonable debate, but I'm met with abuse. 

So your point is that it is a question of numbers and generations? I'm quite sure there must be a few thousand Britons living in a city as large as Rome, and I would imagine there might be many thousands of people from other territories that were subjugated and oppressed by the Romans. But for argument's sake, suppose 10,000 Britons moved to Rome and established a community there. After a couple of generations, would it be legitimate for the descendants of those British children to demand the removal of statues commemorating Roman Emperors who enslaved their ancestors? 

Well no, my point was that your example drew absolutely no parallel to the topic being debated.

You've progressed your example but it's still not really a comparison at all.

5 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Who was this @Sinner-to-Saint moron, in a previous life?

He's got an aura of basement dwelling, pyjama wearing, gravity denier all over him.

Hahaha!

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Did you think we lived in a democracy when a vocal minority, ie Tony Blair, decided we should invade Iraq against the will of the people?

Well sadly that's how the democratic process works at the moment. I don't agree the current electoral system, and I'd prefer PR. I didn't agree with the war either - it was pushed by a bunch of US Neocons and Zionists, and based upon a false pretext. But then again I didn't vote Labour or Tory and so I can sleep soundly at night.

There's really only been one person outraged about anything in the last couple of days on this thread that I can see tbh
Well, two. Him, and Jeremiah Cole/Sinner-to-Saint and his "I've been to Rome and all i got was the urge to desecrate a statue" t shirt

1 minute ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Excellent point, however you'll just be branded a racist and attacked by the majority of the forum.

As I said in previous posts, you could go on forever making unsavoury links between virtually every figure from History where their actions while doing good for many most definitely had either a direct or indirect negative result for others.

The bottom line is that every civilisation throughout history has committed atrocities from the Vikings to the Moors, Romans, Egyptians, Greeks, Prussians, British, Americans, Russians, French, Spanish, Portuguese etc, etc, etc.

Should we just erase all positive statements about all these regimes from every period of history ??

Tear up celebrated stories and journals ?

Destroy and tear down memorials and statues ?

Ensure that there's no positive references in song or poem ?

Change our whole beliefs to satisfy a few extremists ???

Nope, not for me I'm afraid and anyone who does think this is very dangerous and should be locked up in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Apparently, some wee vegetarian guy with a funny moustache started a massive war which killed lots of innocent people. I don't know his name though as the snowflake left won't let us have a statue of him.

If Germany had won that war then a century later you'd have people on Pilsner and Strudel arguing that the intolerant left were ignoring that Hitler spent billions on German hospitals and schools from the Rhine to the Volga when they pulled a statue down in East Prussia.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's right though. That monstrosity you've got in your signature marks you out as an idiot before we even read a word of your posts.

Now that's hurtful! It took me a wee while to make that.

Oh well, I've been overwhelmed by the number of vitriolic replies on here, and I'm going to bail out. I'm supposed to be working anyway. I'll leave you all to discuss how to bring down the oppressive. fascist, patriarchy.