George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Vacating politics and provocation from your anti-racism gesture is the definition of letting the racists win, imho. Maybe it would have been better for Kaepernick to stop kneeling for the sake of his career but good on him for not caving (at least AFAIK!)

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Vacating politics and provocation from your anti-racism gesture is the definition of letting the racists win, imho. Maybe it would have been better for Kaepernick to stop kneeling for the sake of his career but good on him for not caving (at least AFAIK!)

Kaepernick reached a settlement with the NFL in the lawsuit he brought against them for effectively blacklisting him from the league but it was settled and he withdrew it. Some people saw that as caving but I guess they paid him millions of dollars to withdraw it.

10 hours ago, Avon Barksdale said:

Lol wait till the very end.

Genuinely stunned that England's fans ambassador is a thick wide-boy c**t. I'm only surprised he managed 2+ minutes without throwing some white patio furniture about. 

20 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Vacating politics and provocation from your anti-racism gesture is the definition of letting the racists win, imho. 

True, but given that Scottish and English football authorities (backed by UEFA at international level) have engaged in 30 years of pearl-clutching about the importance of keeping 'politics out of the game', the authorities have got a brass neck trying to back up their selected and approved political message against dissent. 

Anti-racism is rightly a political message in the current climate. This means that it's open season for other political messages and campaigns to link up with football as well though. Including ones that the authorities who prefer a sanitised, 'family friendly' experience inside a crisp-poke rustling all-seater stadium don't like, including far-right nutcases but with any luck also left-wing voices as well.

Those involved in football can either pretend that their sport doesn't do politics or they can recognise it as a platform for various political agendas. They can't have it both ways though. 

11 hours ago, Avon Barksdale said:

Lol wait till the very end.

Why have the England fans, elected I presume, someone thicker than shit to be their representative. 

I mean he's very representative but you would think they might want someone who can speak in sentences to be their rep.

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

Why have the England fans, elected I presume, someone thicker than shit to be their representative. 

I mean he's very representative but you would think they might want someone who can speak in sentences to be their rep.

He's actually the most intelligent and articulate England fan they could find.

He didn't lob a patio chair at any Tunisians or throw his own faeces or anything during that interview. 

Edited by Gordon EF

Just think, only a few more weeks until the same gammons will be howling with outrage over the “leftist” footballers who refuse to take part in a political event. 

Or are we going to pretend that poppyfest isn’t political?

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Just think, only a few more weeks until the same gammons will be howling with outrage over the “leftist” footballers who refuse to take part in a political event. 

Or are we going to pretend that poppyfest isn’t political?

The FAs of the UK do exactly that, along with all those frothing outrage when another body states this fact to them. 

There's absolutely an attitude of "No politics in football. But the stuff I agree with isn't politics cos obviously any right-minded person would agree with me and anyone who doesn't is a Marxist".

Do all these folk just use the term Marxist because Jordan Petersen does or is it wider than that?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

There's absolutely an attitude of "No politics in football. But the stuff I agree with isn't politics cos obviously any right-minded person would agree with me and anyone who doesn't is a Marxist".

Do all these folk just use the term Marxist because Jordan Petersen does or is it wider than that?

The "I just don't want politics in my sports" argument is imported wholesale from America without a shred of irony, Jordan B. Peterson's patter might as well be too.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said: