George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

There's a weird cognitive dissonance I'm finding myself trying to put together with my general support of unions and disgust at police unions in the US for pretty much doing their job. Whilst I wonder "How can you defend these b*****ds!?" I would also expect my own union to defend me to the hilt (although I doubt they would if they had video evidence of my kneeling on a black man's neck til he died).

If you were a bus driver and dented your bus on a lampost, or made an old lady fall over by pulling away too quickly,  then you'd expect your union rep to support you at the disciplinary.

If you were a bus driver and drove down the pavement, mowing down pedestrians then you'd probably be on your own.

On 17/06/2020 at 08:42, Detournement said:

It's more like now the entire country knows they all either fat disasters or rail thin junkies there will be guys in every city queuing up to slap them about. 

Much safer to get back to sitting in the house taking gear and memeing. 

This should be the response to these clowns and the scumbags in George Square. Smashed back into whatever hole they crawled from , either by the police or the general public .

Is that the wendy’s shooting? If so murder charge is definitely the right outcome here, the guy posed no risk to those cops.

This is a strange one, from the video everything looks really mundane as he is just sitting there talking to them , he fails the breathalyser but he doesnt look visibly pished. Only when they start putting the cuffs on him does it all kick off? You wonder if there’s more happenin than can be seen or heard?

Anyway i saw another video of a white guy in America who is giving 2 cops a absolute doing , they try using the truncheons the tazers and everything else but he’s a big laddie and he’s fuckin relentless. After battering each one individualy and collectively he ends up jumping into the police car and drives off leaving the 2 standing there in disbelief. Point is at no time do they even draw their firearm. If this was a black man he would likely have been shot several times

This is a strange one, from the video everything looks really mundane as he is just sitting there talking to them , he fails the breathalyser but he doesnt look visibly pished. Only when they start putting the cuffs on him does it all kick off? You wonder if there’s more happenin than can be seen or heard?

Anyway i saw another video of a white guy in America who is giving 2 cops a absolute doing , they try using the truncheons the tazers and everything else but he’s a big laddie and he’s fuckin relentless. After battering each one individualy and collectively he ends up jumping into the police car and drives off leaving the 2 standing there in disbelief. Point is at no time do they even draw their firearm. If this was a black man he would likely have been shot several times

In this incident it doesnt really matter whats happened or been said before, hes an ‘unknown risk’ to the officers whilst doing the breath test and high risk when assaulting them, but and this is the crucial part he is not any risk to them in anyway when he turns and runs away, the officers have verified who he is, they have his car, they have visual evidence of his intoxication etc and they could have requested assistance and searched the area for the guy. Yes he turns around and aims the taser but the taser appears to be out of range of the officer who was running behind him so posing no direct threat to him in any way. It seems to me like those shots were fired in anger and are inexcusable in any way. I say that as someone who is pro-police.
I think the officers defence will rely on the fact that the District Attorney in Atlanta likes to charge cops with attempted murder for using taser and had them classified as a ‘lethal weapon’ so that he could do so. I believe they’ll argue that because the DA did this the officers thought they were at risk of being assaulted by a lethal weapon and fired back with deadly force. Before anyone jumps on me here im not saying I agree with that, I dont, its cold blooded murder, but I think the actions of the DA will actually aide the defence of the cops, albeit wrongly.

As for the other video you mention, chances are that guy would be on pcp or crystal meth, if thats the case then they could have shot the guy anywhere but the head and he’d have fought on probably. We are very lucky not to have a pcp problem in this country. Closest we get is excited delirium from drugs like cocaine or ecstasy which makes some folks go off their head and appear very very strong, its not unknown for people with it to need 10/12 people to safely restrain them, those cops probably knew they had no chance.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think the officers defence will rely on the fact that the District Attorney in Atlanta likes to charge cops with attempted murder for using taser and had them classified as a ‘lethal weapon’ so that he could do so. I believe they’ll argue that because the DA did this the officers thought they were at risk of being assaulted by a lethal weapon and fired back with deadly force. Before anyone jumps on me here im not saying I agree with that, I dont, its cold blooded murder, but I think the actions of the DA will actually aide the defence of the cops, albeit wrongly.

Can't. The officer in question was aware the taser he stole wasn't working.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

You can't be too careful.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tasers can work in two ways, dry stun ie contact and by firing, with the two barbs, need clarity as to whether he knew it was entirely ineffective before we say that.

From what I gathered the taser only has two shots before it needs reset. (I guess that's the two projectiles with the wire attached?) He had already fired both into the fella and knew it couldn't be used again.

ETA:

"In announcing the charges Brooks revealed disturbing details about the incident. Howard revealed that Rolfe knew the taser Brooks took from him was not functional, as it had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when he shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.

The detail underscores that Rolfe was apparently aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.

“I got him!” the district attorney quoted Rolfe as saying."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/17/rayshard-brooks-charges-atlanta-police-officer-garrett-rolfe

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

I actually had to step down from Facebook tonight. 
There are some folk that actually believe they are being discriminated against because they are white. 
These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail

From what I gathered the taser only has two shots before it needs reset. (I guess that's the two projectiles with the wire attached?) He had already fired both into the fella and knew it couldn't be used again.

ETA:

"In announcing the charges Brooks revealed disturbing details about the incident. Howard revealed that Rolfe knew the taser Brooks took from him was not functional, as it had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when he shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.
The detail underscores that Rolfe was apparently aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.
“I got him!” the district attorney quoted Rolfe as saying."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/17/rayshard-brooks-charges-atlanta-police-officer-garrett-rolfe

It can be used to ‘dry stun’ but that said as i mentioned before its clearly out of range of that.

The defence they will go down the line that the officer shot the offender because he is a highly aggressive subject. Following him running away in possession of a taser they feared for the safety of the public. 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thought it was about protecting the statues.

image.thumb.png.941e43a02f26b4ac3d08123b4475d5e2.png

Surely if you're saying an 'anti-fascist' flag is inflammatory and provokes (goads) you to point of violence, then you are in fact admitting you're a fascist and can't really take issue with being labelled as right wing. 

There really are a lot of confused people kicking about right now.