George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

9 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

OK - I will phrase it better,  'people who write and speak in support of BLM' are allowing MSM focus on statues, even on this thread or 'Topple the Racists', allowing the current Government / The Right off the hook and let them distract from more important matters.  Jeez, they even allowed Peirs Morgan sound a human.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Didnt mean you, just that they dont really care. Career politicians only interested in themselves or making money.
This is the same guy that called muslims postboxes was it not?
They dont give a f**k

Both fair points.

23 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

They also persuaded people to leave the eu on some ideas around xenophobia and blaming everything on immigration. This hides the reality and gets idiots in the south of england to vote for them.

Fair point but Brexit and the Tories success in the last General Election were driven as much, if not more, by voters in the north of England.

55 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That might be the most depressing, party political, i just want to win the argument comment I've ever seen.

f**k me.

The lad was responding to a post specifically saying that he was a Labour politician, which he wasn't. He was a lot further to the left than anyone in Bliar's crew, mind.

59 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's the thing about history, it's complicated.

And the same goes for individuals. We have to accept flaws, even very serious ones, and somehow come to a balanced conclusion.

This has to be done at a local level, and should involve as many people as possible.

My own view is that Churchill was a c**t of a man but for a few years in the late 30s and early 40s he did something that very few individuals could do. He held firm when it was much easier to do the opposite, and dragged Britain to victory. Huge mistakes were made but that was a remarkable achievement, and I'm fine with his statues staying.

I think most controversial statues should be given a shiny new plaque that aims to educate. A few of the real c***s should end up in museums, taken down after a local democratic decision (after some sort of an engagement process to increase public knowledge on the issue).

But statues shouldn't be allowed to derail the bigger cause of this movement. That's just tokenism.

Fúck me, were you wearing your Union Jack jimjams when you posted that?

This was a man who advocated the use of chemical weapons, who happily watched Bengalis dying in their millions, who deployed the Army against this country's people more than once, including in Liverpool where two died, who sent the fúcking tanks into Glasgow, who managed to fúck up Gallipoli, whose main drive in life was to protect the good old class system, himself, and those he saw as his social equals and superiors. That the people saw through this was shown in the 1945 election.

No individual dragged Britain to victory. That really is propaganda caird pish. Was Churchill at Dunkirk, Salerno, El Alamein, Normandy, The North Atlantic, Burma? Was he fúck - that would be the millions of overwhelmingly working class soldiers, sailors and airmen - many of them Commonwealth citizens, and a not inconsiderable number of whom would today be described as BAME.

Describing him as a "necessary man" is, imho, being kind. Yes, every nation needs, in time of war, a figurehead to rally behind. It didn't have to be this racist, islamaphobic, antsemitic arsehóle, though. I will give you that he filled a necessary position. No more than that.

I leave you with this - a quote which could just as easily have come from another racist scumbag who was running Germany at the time:

"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

1 hour ago, Mr Waldo said:

OK - I will phrase it better,  'people who write and speak in support of BLM' are allowing MSM focus on statues, even on this thread or 'Topple the Racists', allowing the current Government / The Right off the hook and let them distract from more important matters.  Jeez, they even allowed Peirs Morgan sound a human.

Sorry, mate - I speak, write, and will be continuing to demonstrate against ALL forms of discrimination, but the idea that I, and others in the Labour Movement, are "allowing" MSM focus on anything is just ridiculous. Look at who owns the press, and consider the potential for damage to the BBC if they upset the Government. Yer MSM will tell you what they want to tell you.

And Morgan? He's still a cúnt.

23 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This was a man who advocated the use of chemical weapons, who happily watched Bengalis dying in their millions, who deployed the Army against this country's people more than once, including in Liverpool where two died, who sent the fúcking tanks into Glasgow, who managed to fúck up Gallipoli, whose main drive in life was to protect the good old class system, himself, and those he saw as his social equals and superiors. That the people saw through this was shown in the 1945 election.

No individual dragged Britain to victory. That really is propaganda caird pish. Was Churchill at Dunkirk, Salerno, El Alamein, Normandy, The North Atlantic, Burma? Was he fúck - that would be the millions of overwhelmingly working class soldiers, sailors and airmen - many of them Commonwealth citizens, and a not inconsiderable number of whom would today be described as BAME.

Describing him as a "necessary man" is, imho, being kind. Yes, every nation needs, in time of war, a figurehead to rally behind. It didn't have to be this racist, islamaphobic, antsemitic arsehóle, though. I will give you that he filled a necessary position. No more than that.

I leave you with this - a quote which could just as easily have come from another racist scumbag who was running Germany at the time:

"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

The Museum of Liverpool & the International Slavery Museum is an enlightening & sobering thing to behold. We have a lot to answer for.

Just now, Perkin Flump said:

The Museum of Liverpool & the International Slavery Museum is an enlightening & sobering thing to behold. We have a lot to answer for.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the current popular stance is to vilify those asking the questions.

2 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

I mean it's not like Black Lives Matter, or the left in general, have much power to direct the news cycle outside of actively smashing things up. Ash Sarkar used her brief allotted time on the BBC to point out that the Fawlty Towers stuff was a distraction pushed by the media to distract from more important causes but it's 2 minutes in a 24 hour news cycle that is quickly memory holed to stick to the prepared lines. The 2019 election should've showed everyone that the news cycle is engineered to let the Conservative Party off the hook whenever it faces a genuine threat to its position.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This was a man ... who sent the fúcking tanks into Glasgow,

You say this like it's a bad thing. 

13 hours ago, 101 said:

Good news, if you want to know what the Prime Minister made of the weekends activities it's no longer behind a paywall however they have put an opinion piece on the government website. 

Glad he's found something to pass the time. 

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Yer da protecting the George Eliot statue in Nuneaton.

IMG_20200616_122250.jpg.6eb622b2bc70a1e7549ff7e443574cab.jpg

I don't know if its just a bad angle but that polis wummin on the left looks huge, don't the polis have fitness standards?

Even I'd be able to run away from her.

Just now, Empty It said:
3 minutes ago, bennett said:
I don't know if its just a bad angle but that polis wummin on the left looks huge, don't the polis have fitness standards?

Shes got the same dietician as Kris Boyd.

The monster munch plan.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Same here, pre hip replacement as well.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Yer da protecting the George Eliot statue in Nuneaton.

IMG_20200616_122250.jpg.6eb622b2bc70a1e7549ff7e443574cab.jpg

They probably think The Mill on the Floss employed thousands and drove the Industrial Revolution, making Britain Great.

On 13/06/2020 at 13:11, welshbairn said:

Newcastle.

3257.jpg?width=780&quality=45&auto=forma

The weirdest thing about the Newcastle protest was that they were "protecting" a statue of Earl Grey from BLM lefties

Earl Grey was the prime minister who abolished slavery and massively extended the right to vote in the 1833 reform act

And his statue is already protected by being on top of a 60m tall column

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)