George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

3 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Heard that leaflets have been circulating in Glasgow purportedly from BLM saying "Every night, kill a white"

Somebody's at it 

Jings 

Heard that 70m Turks are arriving in the UK tomorrow to introduce Sharia law and a wean nearly got abducted by Romanians at Springburn Tesco.

WATP GSTQ

Beveridge was in the Liberal Party I'm sure. 
So he was! Funny how he's become so closely linked with Labour because of the Welfare State. 

Point stands though - eugenics was seen as a science-based viable ideology by many in the 20s and 30s.
That might be the most depressing, party political, i just want to win the argument comment I've ever seen.

f**k me.
I apologise for misjudging ronaldo's post, and jumping in too quick.

I wrongly presumed that he was trying to point score in an anti-Labour-Party way.

There's a lot of hatred for the Labour Party on this site (especially the Scottish branch), and although i haven't voted for them since 2001, i had hoped corbyn would make a breakthrough.

So apologies again for jumping in stupidly.
Yes, politely correcting a factual inaccuracy is clearly a ridiculous attempt to win an argument at all costs when you're not even having an argument.
Fúck me, were you wearing your Union Jack jimjams when you posted that?
This was a man who advocated the use of chemical weapons, who happily watched Bengalis dying in their millions, who deployed the Army against this country's people more than once, including in Liverpool where two died, who sent the fúcking tanks into Glasgow, who managed to fúck up Gallipoli, whose main drive in life was to protect the good old class system, himself, and those he saw as his social equals and superiors. That the people saw through this was shown in the 1945 election.
No individual dragged Britain to victory. That really is propaganda caird pish. Was Churchill at Dunkirk, Salerno, El Alamein, Normandy, The North Atlantic, Burma? Was he fúck - that would be the millions of overwhelmingly working class soldiers, sailors and airmen - many of them Commonwealth citizens, and a not inconsiderable number of whom would today be described as BAME.
Describing him as a "necessary man" is, imho, being kind. Yes, every nation needs, in time of war, a figurehead to rally behind. It didn't have to be this racist, islamaphobic, antsemitic arsehóle, though. I will give you that he filled a necessary position. No more than that.
I leave you with this - a quote which could just as easily have come from another racist scumbag who was running Germany at the time:
"I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

There are no factual inaccuracies here but you're making the mistake that a lot of people make when there's been a one sided narrative for so long - you're going too far the other way.

I clearly stated in my original post that churchill was a c**t of a man, and I'm well aware of his treatment of those he saw as beneath him.

But you're massively underestimating the role of a leader in times of war. In the commons he was one of the only voices who spoke out against Hitler in the 30s, and when chamberlain left it looked very much like Britain was going to negotiate.

Churchill deserves a huge amount of credit for that, no matter how unpopular it is on this site to say it. Yes he's been deified beyond belief by middle England, and I'm delighted the balanced has been addressed slightly recently. Long may it continue. But don't over-correct. Quite often the answer is somewhere in between.

You also mention the point about the labour landslide and the shoeing Churchill received from the public in 45. You have to remember that Churchill came back and won the 1951 election - so it's hardly true that the great british public 'saw through him', as you claim.

And finally can i just clarify that i don't wear jimjams, and i fucking despise the successful rebranding of the union bloody jack that seems to have spread massively since the 2012 Olympics. Even the best fucking loaf in the shops comes wrapped in it. The c***s.

Heard that leaflets have been circulating in Glasgow purportedly from BLM saying "Every night, kill a white"

Somebody's at it 

Jings 
A hot summer's night and an extended lockdown has brought out all the fannies.

I'm hoping the media coverage of this makes it clear who caused the bother.

On Saturday it seemed the bbc were a bit hesitant to blame the far right, and instead stuck with 'both sets of protesters' for a while.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

A hot summer's night and an extended lockdown has brought out all the fannies.

I'm hoping the media coverage of this makes it clear who caused the bother.

On Saturday it seemed the bbc were a bit hesitant to blame the far right, and instead stuck with 'both sets of protesters' for a while.

They said 'two rival protest groups' in their article today. Utterly spineless. A group of asylum seekers peacefully protesting their COVID-19 living conditions in front of the city chambers and an organised gang of fascists there to intimidate and attack them. 

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Police in Atlanta walking off streets in several zones of the city following the charging of an APD officer with murder following a shooting.

The accelerationists were right.

Not one to defend coppers in general, and not sure of the details of this one, but other examples of coppers downing tools in America recently (such as the Buffallo PD when one of them decided to push over an old fella for a laugh) is less about solidarity and more about advice from lawyers and their union.

Something to do with liability regarding workplace injuries. If a copper is chasing down a baddie (with good reason and not just because they are black) and the crook falls and breaks his collarbone, for instance, they can try and sue the police department for compo. Most of these civil cases, obviously, fail but it's the city/police department who pay for the legal costs of defending the copper.

The BLM protests have opened up a massive legal can of worms where cities are washing their hands of defending the cops and they would be personally liable for injuries inflicted on the criminal. On one hand my thought is "About time" but, then again, if you are one of these mythical good cops it would be a bit of a sickener to arrest a paedo only to have to pay thousands in legal costs because he said you hurt his feelings during the arrest.

A few Buffallo PD officers have came out and said their "mass resignation" has nothing to do with support for their colleague but more about waiting til their union negotiates the details of liability in civil cases.

There's a weird cognitive dissonance I'm finding myself trying to put together with my general support of unions and disgust at police unions in the US for pretty much doing their job. Whilst I wonder "How can you defend these b*****ds!?" I would also expect my own union to defend me to the hilt (although I doubt they would if they had video evidence of my kneeling on a black man's neck til he died).

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Not one to defend coppers in general, and not sure of the details of this one, but other examples of coppers downing tools in America recently (such as the Buffallo PD when one of them decided to push over an old fella for a laugh) is less about solidarity and more about advice from lawyers and their union.

Something to do with liability regarding workplace injuries. If a copper is chasing down a baddie (with good reason and not just because they are black) and the crook falls and breaks his collarbone, for instance, they can try and sue the police department for compo. Most of these civil cases, obviously, fail but it's the city/police department who pay for the legal costs of defending the copper.

The BLM protests have opened up a massive legal can of worms where cities are washing their hands of defending the cops and they would be personally liable for injuries inflicted on the criminal. On one hand my thought is "About time" but, then again, if you are one of these mythical good cops it would be a bit of a sickener to arrest a paedo only to have to pay thousands in legal costs because he said you hurt his feelings during the arrest.

A few Buffallo PD officers have came out and said their "mass resignation" has nothing to do with support for their colleague but more about waiting til their union negotiates the details of liability in civil cases.

There's a weird cognitive dissonance I'm finding myself trying to put together with my general support of unions and disgust at police unions in the US for pretty much doing their job. Whilst I wonder "How can you defend these b*****ds!?" I would also expect my own union to defend me to the hilt (although I doubt they would if they had video evidence of my kneeling on a black man's neck til he died).

Aye, but that's not part of your job.