George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Oh I agree with that for sure I just think when people move into the "scoff at working class people for not fully grasping Marxism" then that's when the conversation goes off on silly tangents. 

It's not about scoffing at the working class though. These people are just as likely to be petit bourgeois arseholes who almost definitely have much more money than I do. Working class aesthetic /= being economically working class.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I think the left right axis has moved though. It's less economics and more socialogical. 

That's a deliberate tactic of the right to win over people who should be materially opposed to their entire economic project. It is so class that everyone worked to make Breitbart's claim that politics is downstream from culture true over the last decade or so.

Reducing someone to their ‘race’, colour or religion (or any other protected characteristic) is pretty much one of the basic premises for bigotry. It creates a ‘they’re all the same’ narrative. This narrative still exists in western cultures and it’s going to take many generations to get rid of ingrained prejudices and discrete forms of bigotry. Traditionally, all that is needed is a very unhealthy dose of state sanctioned propaganda and from this reductionism you get slavery, genocide, oppression and discrimination. This is something that black populations have experienced for centuries so you’ll excuse anyone of not wanting to be identified by the colour of their skin.  

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel

2 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Reducing someone to their ‘race’, colour or religion (or any other protected characteristic) is pretty much one of the basic premises for bigotry. It creates a ‘their all the same’ narrative. This narrative still exists in western cultures and it’s going to take many generations to get rid of ingrained prejudices and discrete forms of bigotry. Traditionally, all that is needed is a very unhealthy dose of state sanctioned propaganda and from this reductionism you get slavery, genocide, oppression and discrimination. This is something that black populations have experienced for centuries so you’ll excuse anyone of not wanting to be identified by the colour of their skin.  

Yup

4 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Reducing someone to their ‘race’, colour or religion (or any other protected characteristic) is pretty much one of the basic premises for bigotry. 

That's clearly not true because no one blinks an eye about "It's that man there" or "This lady here".

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

That's clearly not true because no one blinks an eye about "It's that man there" or "This lady here".

I would argue that ‘gender’ discrimination is a tad more complex and discrete than issues of ‘race’.  This has come to the fore substantially over the past 5 years or so. 

7 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Quality over quantity welshy. Something like a Johnstone’s trade paint is good to work with. You’d probably just need a 5 litre tin, but a huge 10 litre may only be a little dearer so why not paint another room too?

I think you’re a decorator now? I happen to be in possession of 20x 10L tubs of Dulux Trade Off White paint that I don’t need, and a fair few 5L tins of different colours. Probably about a grand’s worth of paint all in.

I’ll happily give you the lot for £100.

6 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I would argue that ‘gender’ discrimination is a tad more complex and discrete than issues of ‘race’.  This has come to the fore substantially over the past 5 years or so. 

One of the issues is that for most people their exposure to discrimination legislation is limited - they probably have always seen all the 'isms lumped together.  It's fair to say racial issues have become much more complex and nuanced than some other forms of discrimination in the recent past.

9 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Reducing someone to their ‘race’, colour or religion (or any other protected characteristic) is pretty much one of the basic premises for bigotry. It creates a ‘they’re all the same’ narrative. This narrative still exists in western cultures and it’s going to take many generations to get rid of ingrained prejudices and discrete forms of bigotry. Traditionally, all that is needed is a very unhealthy dose of state sanctioned propaganda and from this reductionism you get slavery, genocide, oppression and discrimination. This is something that black populations have experienced for centuries so you’ll excuse anyone of not wanting to be identified by the colour of their skin.  

This is kind of what I referred to yesterday re education and the 4th official being ignorant, rather than racist.

Some people just don't realise that by using this particular distinguishing characteristic, they're actually bludgeoning themselves in the face with centuries of history.

As has been pointed out, though, context matters massively.

I don't want to be dancing round the head of a pin because of language - as far too many people do. My old mum is freaked out by the term black person or black people - because she's genuinely scared about mentioning race at all! That's not a good place to be in society.

If I'm watching a game of football or a boxing match (mentioned previously) with my kids and a question is asked then I'm not going to ignore skin colour if it's the most obvious distinguishing feature. Obviously I'm not going to go out my way to mention skin colour but the phrase - 'yeah, the white guy' or 'yeah, the black guy' is one i would be comfortable using.

Of course the issue of race is complicated, and historical tropes have had a horrible effect over the years. But we can't lose sight of obvious motive and common sense in the whole thing.

And just to be clear, i would never use skin colour as a distinguishing feature when face to face with someone - in whatever context the 4th official used it the other night. It's basic manners - like not pointing out that someone is old.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

As has been pointed out, though, context matters massively.

I don't want to be dancing round the head of a pin because of language - as far too many people do. My old mum is freaked out by the term black person or black people - because she's genuinely scared about mentioning race at all! That's not a good place to be in society.

If I'm watching a game of football or a boxing match (mentioned previously) with my kids and a question is asked then I'm not going to ignore skin colour if it's the most obvious distinguishing feature. Obviously I'm not going to go out my way to mention skin colour but the phrase - 'yeah, the white guy' or 'yeah, the black guy' is one i would be comfortable using.

Of course the issue of race is complicated, and historical tropes have had a horrible effect over the years. But we can't lose sight of obvious motive and common sense in the whole thing.

And just to be clear, i would never use skin colour as a distinguishing feature when face to face with someone - in whatever context the 4th official used it the other night. It's basic manners - like not pointing out that someone is old.

In full agreement with all of that.

18 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

don’t know about the fuckwits at Millwall or wherever, but I’m pretty sure that the (more savvy) far right talk about “Marxists” because they’ve realised that a lot of people stop listening if they say what they really mean, which is generally “the Jews.”

How does that work? Jezza Corbyn gets grief for being a Marxist and for being anti-Semitic?

Poor man can’t win.

57 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

How does that work? Jezza Corbyn gets grief for being a Marxist and for being anti-Semitic?

Poor man can’t win.

In all fairness, I’m not entirely certain that the guys who think that ‘cultural Marxism’ is a Jewish plot to destroy western society really have a problem with Jeremy Corbyn possibly being anti-Semitic.

Out of interest, those who would never use skin colour to describe someone, do you find criminal profiling offensive/wrong?

"It was a white male aged between 50-55, approximately 5ft 10..."

"A black female aged..."

"An Asian man..."