George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It's more the impulse of some when a person of colour tells them they have been racially abused to go "hey big guy, what was the context?!" that people have a problem with I'm guessing. 

I mean, he's correct that in that hypothetical situation that would be a terrible thing to do and don't think anyone else believes otherwise on this thread.  So it seems like he was just making a cheap point tbh.

nobody cares weather or not someone is a Marxist. nobody ever did, until black lives matter came along . it wouldn't look awfully good to just boo, violently counter protest and constantly whinge about anti racism activist who are black, so there has  to be something about them worthy of abuse because we are not racist y'know

Remember all the neds who used to go around picking fights with people when you were at school?  They always came with a ready made story about how to person they wanted to fight had done something worthy of provocation , "you touched my burd, you said something to my mate etc etc",  otherwise they would just be a bully and would be looked upon as such. this is just the same

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I mean, he's correct that in that hypothetical situation that would be a terrible thing to do and don't think anyone else believes otherwise on this thread.  So it seems like he was just making a cheap point tbh.

Lol so your original comment is just meaningless then if you know that's not what he was saying. Seems a bit petty but sure 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If a black friend or colleague told me they had perhaps been racially abused I would simply sit them down and explain that context matters, that I'm sure they must be mistaken and give them a presentation on colours in indo-european languages.

For I am a reasonable man.

Perhaps? 

You should possibly ascertain which country this mystery abuser comes from. Also if he is a referee. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Out of interest, those who would never use skin colour to describe someone, do you find criminal profiling offensive/wrong?

"It was a white male aged between 50-55, approximately 5ft 10..."

"A black female aged..."

"An Asian man..."

It might not be particularly helpful. Especially Asian. 

Out of interest, those who would never use skin colour to describe someone, do you find criminal profiling offensive/wrong?

"A black female aged..."

"An Asian man..."

Well that’s just silly.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

"A black female aged..."

"An Asian man..."

If someone kicks this hornets nest enough we'll get someone defending racial profiling before the day is out

If someone kicks this hornets nest enough we'll get someone defending racial profiling before the day is out
I remember this debate sprang up briefly during that stabbing incident in Glasgow recently. Cant recall which thread. There was a debate about how the Police described the stabber.

Well that’s just silly.
I'm not being provocative. I just think it's a bizarre view/not realistic to say 'I would never use someone's ethnicity to describe them' like some have said in here.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I remember this debate sprang up briefly during that stabbing incident in Glasgow recently. Cant recall which thread. There was a debate about how the Police described the stabber.

That narrows it down

I'm not being provocative. I just think it's a bizarre view/not realistic to say 'I would never use someone's ethnicity to describe them' like some have said in here.

I don’t think you’re being provocative tbf. There’s a fairly substantial difference, however, in using race or skin colour to identify an unknown person, and picking race instead of a number of other distinguishing features to identify an individual out of a group of 4 people.

I cant even remember what fucking year it was. Summer 2019 at a guess. Multiple people stabbed in a hotel that was being used to house refugees. Or maybe it was early this year?
That was this year. During the pandemic as I'm sure that hotel was only open to house refugees at the time.

I don’t think you’re being provocative tbf. There’s a fairly substantial difference, however, in using race or skin colour to identify an unknown person, and picking race instead of a number of other distinguishing features to identify an individual out of a group of 4 people.
Aye I do agree. Like I say, it wasn't supposed to be provocative I just don't think it's as simple as saying ethnicity can't be used to describe someone and wondered if folk who think that way genuinely find criminal profiling offensive for doing so.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
I cant even remember what fucking year it was. Summer 2019 at a guess. Multiple people stabbed in a hotel that was being used to house refugees. Or maybe it was early this year?

That was this year. During the pandemic as I'm sure that hotel was only open to house refugees at the time.

Fucking hell. Seems like absolutely forever ago. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

The idea of context mattering is controversial now. Interesting.

Context is hugely important but some people seem to forget the context of lived experience of BAME people is important too e.g. it's entirely possible for someone to use the wrong word  for a Chinese takeaway with no ill intent. It's still wrong 

Edited by invergowrie arab