George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:
Was just thinking much the same thing.  Show some enthusiasm!  It's like she's had a lobotomy.

I mean she's thick as f**k and that's not a crime. It's the blasé attitude and the smirking that's starting to piss me off. I can appreciate she's nervous but it's one of the biggest cases in recent times in America, try and act with a bit of maturity ffs.

I feel for them. It is probably hard enough taking the stand as a witness, but this trial is on TV and your contributions will be analysed and critiqued to the minutiae by millions of people, including many with a clear agenda. f**k being put in that position. 

I feel for them. It is probably hard enough taking the stand as a witness, but this trial is on TV and your contributions will be analysed and critiqued to the minutiae by millions of people, including many with a clear agenda. f**k being put in that position. 
I wouldn't want to be in that position but then I wouldn't record such an incident unless I intended to use it as evidence.

I think what's happened in this idiot's case is she's been rubber necking and wanting to record something for nosey b*****d purposes* as opposed to seeing something inhumane and doing it as proof against the coppers. She's then been taken by surprise when she's been called to testify. Her attitude is what pissed me off the most and I called it before we saw her footage - she'll have plenty to say when speaking on her video.

The next witness was the complete opposite. Having to send the jury out and tell him to stop talking as much [emoji38]

* When she started recording they never had the neck on the foot and it looked like a routine arrest. Nosey cow. WTF is wrong with people who's first instinct is to get their phone out?

Can’t help but feel the jury will have made their decision before the trial started. Impossible for anyone in the US to have little or no prior knowledge of this, let alone not formed their opinion on it. Polis will probably get the lightest sentence available while still being found guilty of something, and large parts of the US will burn. Again.

Edited by Ross.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Can’t help but feel the jury will have made their decision before the trial started. Impossible for anyone in the US to have little or no prior knowledge of this, let alone not formed their opinion on it. Polis will probably get the lightest sentence available while still being found guilty of something, and large parts of the US will burn. Again.

That's my gut feeling, too, but there's a wee nagging doubt at the back of my head that'll he get away with it.

As do I, and I fear for the country if that happens. Surely going to be large scale violence/rioting.
Yup. The Rodney King riots will be chicken feed in comparison when this c**t gets either a Not Guilty or a ridiculously light sentence.

Was reading about this earlier and all it did was confirm that I couldn't ever be a lawyer. I just can't imagine standing there and saying "this black guy was buying cigarettes with counterfeit money and had a history of crime, it's his fault he ended up dead" and going home and sleeping well at night.

I don’t know on what’ possible grounds the officer can get away with leaning on someone’s neck like that for so long, you can apply pressure like that if they are resisting arrest and I don’t think repeatedly saying “I can’t breathe”  counts as resisting arrest and the entire thing was caught on film. It could spark a civil war if he gets found not guilty.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Was reading about this earlier and all it did was confirm that I couldn't ever be a lawyer. I just can't imagine standing there and saying "this black guy was buying cigarettes with counterfeit money and had a history of crime, it's his fault he ended up dead" and going home and sleeping well at night.

A defence lawyer 100%, but a prosecution lawyer I think could be thoroughly satisfying knowing you’ve assisted in putting someone like Chauvin in a cell for the rest of his life. On the flip side it would be incredibly disheartening/infuriating watching him walk free tbf.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

A defence lawyer 100%, but a prosecution lawyer I think could be thoroughly satisfying knowing you’ve assisted in putting someone like Chauvin in a cell for the rest of his life. On the flip side it would be incredibly disheartening/infuriating watching him walk free tbf.

Not for me. As much as you would enjoy that, there will also be times where the person you are prosecuting has been a subject of botched police work and you end up sending an innocent down for years. 

Spoke about this yesterday to the Mrs. Someone she knows is training to be a solicitor and she said she's a lovely lassie to which I responded, she won't cut it as a lawyer then. I doubt either side of the fence have consciences tbh - defender will defend and acquit guilty people throughout their career and similarly prosecutors will send innocent people away. They will see it as a game and presenting evidence but I don't think I could take the human element out of it like they obviously must do.

47 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t know on what’ possible grounds the officer can get away with leaning on someone’s neck like that for so long, you can apply pressure like that if they are resisting arrest and I don’t think repeatedly saying “I can’t breathe”  counts as resisting arrest and the entire thing was caught on film. It could spark a civil war if he gets found not guilty.

The officer that murdered Daniel Shaver got off scot-free. You'd be surprised at what juries will acquit on especially when the officers blatantly lie or exaggerate their reports. And that was a white man!

18 minutes ago, Smikka Smikka Smoodoo said:

Surprised they're having a trial. They should just see justice done and put him in the chair immediately. 

Said it before: 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Spoke about this yesterday to the Mrs. Someone she knows is training to be a solicitor and she said she's a lovely lassie to which I responded, she won't cut it as a lawyer then. I doubt either side of the fence have consciences tbh - defender will defend and acquit guilty people throughout their career and similarly prosecutors will send innocent people away. They will see it as a game and presenting evidence but I don't think I could take the human element out of it like they obviously must do.

She'll be fine. I worked in the Fiscals and plenty of the Deputes are cracking folk as well as the defence lawyers.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The officer that murdered Daniel Shaver got off scot-free. You'd be surprised at what juries will acquit on especially when the officers blatantly lie or exaggerate their reports. And that was a white man!

Said it before: 

She'll be fine. I worked in the Fiscals and plenty of the Deputes are cracking folk as well as the defence lawyers.

I worked for the Crown Prosecution  Service in Bristol in early 90s. There was a lot of racisty attitudes in the workplace, solicitors included. 

46 minutes ago, Smikka Smikka Smoodoo said:

Haven't the authorities already given the family compensation? 

That's a civil matter, the trial is a criminal matter and a different standard of proof applies.  $27m was the compensation I believe.  

I suppose the family's legal team were pushing for a quick deal to ensure the outcome of the criminal trial didn't impact on the amount awarded.  

24 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I worked for the Crown Prosecution  Service in Bristol in early 90s. There was a lot of racisty attitudes in the workplace, solicitors included. 

Oh aye I don't doubt there is or was.