Colt team proposal

It's immensely tiring to continually be reminded that the people running the game have no interests beyond advancing the cause of Celtgers.

Really starting to get the feeling that they'd be much happier if everyone below the Premiership just lost interest in the game and allowed our clubs to be wound up.

Why are the OF and Sevco colts still being touted for admission to the SPFL?

Why not just tack on the reserve league as a 6th division?

Wouldn't the other Premiership teams want their teams to achieve the highest level?

And what becomes of the Linlithgow Roses and Jenfield Swift's who also want to be part of the SPFL as much as the Glasgow teams?

Just imagine the boardroom meltdowns when the annual letter arrives again.

Even the most mercenary of chairmen must have realised that Celtgers are never going to cough up the kind of incentives that would be required to make this worthwhile, so everyone must be fucking sick of it.

Let this crock of shit through &, if EVER they get a chance to move to another league, Hey Presto! They've then a ready made replacement in situ, to continue to hoover whatever money is left to suck from what's left if Scottish football.

I seem to recollect recent assurances that Rangers and Celtic are only being admitted to the Lowland League for one season to fill a temporary gap and that promotion is not on the table?
Is someone now telling me that that’s not true and one can now get promoted next season and the other will still be in the Lowland league to get promoted a season later?
Well I never.........

I seem to recollect recent assurances that Rangers and Celtic are only being admitted to the Lowland League for one season to fill a temporary gap and that promotion is not on the table?
Is someone now telling me that that’s not true and one can now get promoted next season and the other will still be in the Lowland league to get promoted a season later?
Well I never.........

No, both of them would effectively be promoted from the LL to L2, doesn't matter where they finish

Lower league club owners need to start getting tough with this continuous nonsense and call Rangers bluff. I say Rangers because they seem to be the main protagonists of this. If this is genuinely about improving the national team then there needs to be a clear pathway into the first team once they are too old for the B team. For that to happen Rangers and Celtic need to make some concessions at first team level (or these concessions should be Premiership wide). This could include all or a combination of the following:

• Nationality rules (e.g., can’t have more than x foreign players in squad or on the pitch at any time).
  • locally/club-trained player rule (similar to above)
  • Squad size limits (e.g., 18 or 20 first team players over the age of 21)
  • Loan limits  & removal intra-league loans (which is basically a form of league doping when the player can play against every other team except their parent club)

I am 100% certain that each and every one of the proposals would be rejected by Rangers and Celtic based on the belief that it would limit their ability to compete at European level. However, I’d cite Athletic Bilbao’ s (Europa League finalists 2012)  self-imposed Basque policy or Celtic’s very own Lisbon Lions as counter arguments to that.

The cynic in me can’t help but think that Rangers are pushing this as a way of stockpiling players and creating an additional revenue stream by selling players to the English Championship, and/or a way of Rangers having a ready-made  SFA/SPFL licence/membership if they were ever to go into liquidation again. Also, they would likely want to replace the B team in whatever league they were occupying at that time, opposed to starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

Finally, I believe that SPFL should be investing all of their time and effort into trying to make the Premier League more competitive rather than turning three engaging already competitive leagues into glorified development leagues. To further help two teams who have dominated the top tier for the last  36 years is nonsensical. Maybe focus on Premiership reconstruction and a redistribution of playing talent. This would require an increase in the number of clubs in the top division and a more balanced sharing of prize money, which are another two suggestions that I believe would be immediately shot down.  This all starts to ask the question as to who are the ones actually holding the Scottish game back?

Edited by 7 Eleven

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Celtic/Sevco colts are the equivalent of an aggressive drunk pervert at a party leeching on someone who isn't interested. That naive idiot in charge of the LL has given them an inch, and they are now feeling emboldened enough to go for the mile. The amount of cognitive dissonace on show is staggering - they were previously trying to get rid of smaller clubs as they are a drain on the game and we cannot sustain them, but now happy to add another four into the main leagues if they can throw in their castoffs as if this is the magical silver bullet that will 'fix' football north of the border. It's a power grab, and I hope that all chairmen in the bottom two tiers see it for what it is and bear in mind that a football club should represent its area, community, and fan base above any financial knicker flashing from these two parasitic b*****ds when it comes to the crunch. The deck is already weighted in their favour enough: it's like playing blackjack against the house with 14 decks in the shoe instead of 4.

No more, and I'd be utterly repulsed if our chairman voted for it.

The annoying thing for me is that (purely selfishly)  I actually would like to see a 12 club Championship run along the same format as the top league as it would give Airdrie a much better chance of promotion, however if the cost is letting the mini scum in - no way!

15 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

The annoying thing for me is that (purely selfishly)  I actually would like to see a 12 club Championship run along the same format as the top league as it would give Airdrie a much better chance of promotion, however if the cost is letting the mini scum in - no way!

League reconstruction and colt teams are not mutually exclusive. 

I'd rather see league reconstruction with bigger divisions that mean playing the same teams fewer times in a season.

The only way the colt team idea should move forward however is directly over the edge of the nearest cliff.

58 minutes ago, 7 Eleven said:

League reconstruction and colt teams are not mutually exclusive. 

This. We're always presented "change" in this country when someone wants to railroad something distasteful through. None of this is done "for the good of the game".

Below is an excellent long read article that tries to provide some objectivity to the debate about B teams. For what it is worth, I do believe that there should be a publicly available feasibility study done on this topic by an independent organisation (e.g., Twenty First Group - formally 21st Club) before it is ever brought back to the table. For example, how easy is it to answer the question 'what are the benefits of B teams - to national football, to the leagues they will impact & those surrounding them, to the clubs who have B teams and to the clubs who do not?'  The article linked below tries to answer the question 'does B team football significantly benefit young players more than joining a club on loan?'  From the small sample size presented the answer would be no. If Rangers Innovation paper has alternative data then they should be sharing it with everyone. 

http://argyle.life/analysis/b-team-myth/

Also, I think the SPFL and clubs should also be aware of fans feeling about this topic. I cannot find any full report, but Supporters Direct Scotland surveyed fans:

http://www.scottishsupporters.net/b-teams-in-spfl-league-two/

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They basically are. I would expect Rangers and Celtic to veto any proposal that doesn't include them.

Likewise, it will only take two Premiership teams to veto their B team idea for it to be binned. This only shows where the first problem lies.