Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

On 02/01/2024 at 11:27, scottsdad said:

A man and woman flirting with each other enter a lift. The lift doors close. 

Cut to the next floor, the lift doors open and they are snogging, or rearranging their clothes having had a fumble.

What is it about metal fart boxes that drives these people wild?

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.4e25d5f0cb447199951e1f99dd1de9c1.jpg

On 02/01/2024 at 11:27, scottsdad said:

A man and woman flirting with each other enter a lift. The lift doors close. 

Cut to the next floor, the lift doors open and they are snogging, or rearranging their clothes having had a fumble.

What is it about metal fart boxes that drives these people wild?

Better than the old trope about it being exotic and exciting to shag in the lavvy on a plane.

You could be crammed in there with Salma Hayek, but the overpowering stench of piss and shit in a tiny cupboard coated in coliform bacteria might put a dampener on things. Anyone claiming to have enjoyed joining the Mile High club is essentially admitting they're turned on by jobbies and wee.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Better than the old trope about it being exotic and exciting to shag in the lavvy on a plane.

You could be crammed in there with Salma Hayek, but the overpowering stench of piss and shit in a tiny cupboard coated in coliform bacteria might put a dampener on things. Anyone claiming to have enjoyed joining the Mile High club is essentially admitting they're turned on by jobbies and wee.

At least Salma is five foot 2 so there might be enough space 

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When Scott was a wee boy he filled his nappy on a plane. Disgusting green shite all up his back. I took him to the bog to change him and it was near impossible. Like trying to do it ian a cupboard, except this cupboard had wet pish all over the walls and floor. 

It put me off aeroplane sex with Salma Hayek for life.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

S'why I picked her  ^_^

Unfortunately, I'm 6'3" and have to hold my head at an angle to squeeze in, so she might have to wait outside until I'm finished.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's why I always fly with SCAT Air, Kazakhstan's fave carrier.

1650500017525.thumb.jpg.928ab2ccee18546acc86f20b5e4e00a8.jpg

Probably been mentioned before but of a couple has been having sex off camera, to show they've been having sex they'll come down stairs still getting dressed rather than getting dressed in the bedroom like normal people.

On 10/01/2024 at 20:00, Bert Raccoon said:

Probably been mentioned before but of a couple has been having sex off camera, to show they've been having sex they'll come down stairs still getting dressed rather than getting dressed in the bedroom like normal people.

Sex, what's that?

• 4 weeks later...

How about historical tropes due to TV technologies/fashions/sensibilities?

1.  People moving their faces together, when angry, so that the camera can zoom in for the 4:3 format to capture the moment.

2. The romantic transition of two people kissing, camera panning away, fading then the two waking up in bed (smoking a cigarette being optional).

3. Jaunty camera angles in late 1960s 35mm TV shows (think The Avengers or Batman)

Adult invariably crouches down/goes down on knees to have a heartfelt conversation with a child - basically to allow both their heads to appear in the same frame in the next shot. 

Americans will also happily refer to their child as "sport", "bud" or 'champ" in most tv productions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2024 at 13:20, Miguel Sanchez said:

Two characters on the phone. One hangs up. The other keeps talking and trying to get an answer despite the audible dialling tone.

I'm sure I saw a film where someone did the "Hello?...HELLO?!" thing while the disconnect tone played, only for it to turn out that the other person was mimicking it, presumably to lampshade this trope.

Elsewhere, someone saw Harrison Ford hanging on to a ledge and thought he was really, really good at it. Temple of Doom came on the telly the day before I saw Blade Runner again and I briefly went through the films I've seen where he's done this - got to six without difficulty. I guess it must have been a running gag in the Indiana Jones films that I'd missed until now.

Character sitting in his flat apartment when there's a knock at the door. He calls out, "Come in!" and the visitor enters.

Who leaves their front door unlocked, especially in America?

Somebody is in their home and there is knock on the door or the doorbell rings.

They say "oh great", have a big smile on their face and rush to the door.

This makes it obvious when they open the door it will be the villain instead of the person they were expecting.