Raoul Moat - 10 years on

It's ten years since Raoul Moat went on the rampage across the North East of England, shooting three people, one of whom died, before killing himself in a highly publicised police stand off.  Apparently there are people planning a boozy party to celebrate this anniversary - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fans-crazed-gunman-raoul-moat-22289712

A podcast I subscribe to (They Walk Among Us) did a Moat recap this week and it is interesting to look back.  Moat was a horrible, abusive scumbag, who couldn't accept that his girlfriend left him, after he had repeatedly been violent towards her.  He also blamed police for persecuting him, although he had such a long arrest record and character that it's doubtful he was unfairly targeted.  

One way that the case was ahead of it's time was the influence of social media, then in it's relative infancy.  Moat posted updates, and threats, on |Facebook and a Facebook group called "RIP Raoul Moat You Legend" was created after his death.  |This was widely condemned, including by the then Prime Minister in the Houes of Commons, which may have been the first time social media was discussed in such august halls. 

Of course, perhaps the most bizarre part of the case can be summed up this this iconic Breaking News alert

James Chapple 👀 on Twitter: "Musk apeing Gazza's fried chicken ...

Share your Moaty memories.

there were a lot of "Gazza has shown up with a fishing rod and 4 cans of lager at (X)" jokes for a while in the aftermath (which were mostly shite) for any stories involving imminent death, but I'm sure there was one posted in the Big Rangers Admin thread that got a good laugh out of me

I remember reading something about  Gascoigne’s long suffering agent’s reaction when he got woken up and told about PG showing up on live TV with the lager, fishing rod and chicken - “he’s doing WHAT? OFFS”

I don't have any recollection of this event. I was at T in the Park at the time. The same goes for the 2010 World Cup final. I'd watched every match of that tournament, then I didn't see the last two. To me, Spain winning, Alonso getting kicked in the chest, neither of these things happened.

The same goes for Raoul Moat. Whenever I see people posting the Gazza/lager/fishing rods/chicken jokes it's a really weird experience. It's not so much feeling out of the loop regarding a joke, but a significant cultural event that everyone experienced, but I didn't. 

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't have any recollection of this event. I was at T in the Park at the time. The same goes for the 2010 World Cup final. I'd watched every match of that tournament, then I didn't see the last two. To me, Spain winning, Alonso getting kicked in the chest, neither of these things happened.

The same goes for Raoul Moat. Whenever I see people posting the Gazza/lager/fishing rods/chicken jokes it's a really weird experience. It's not so much feeling out of the loop regarding a joke, but a significant cultural event that everyone experienced, but I didn't. 

Was there at T in the Park as well hitting out with sensational patter like "hearing Moaty's got enough kills to call in a Predator missile" #ModernWarfare2 #LadsLadsLads

I highly recommend the book "You could do something amazing with your life (You are Raoul Moat)" - an account of the last days of Moat's life written in the second person. 

Was packing my suitcase quite late for a flight to Sunny Beach that morning. Popped up with the news about Gazza. Had obviously heard about Moat during the day.

We told a couple of Newcastle fans what had happened when we got there and they didn't believe us.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

IIRC a policeman was blinded when shot by Moat and couldn't live with it and topped himself about a year later. Tragic.

Aye, took him a few attempts but he kept missing..

Just now, throbber said:

His name was Derek Bird and that happened a month before Moat on 2 June 2010. He killed his own twin brother first then drove about shooting and killing another 11 people before killing himself. Apparently a very nice guy as well.

Sleep well, my sweet, deranged prince. 

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

His name was Derek Bird and that happened a month before Moat on 2 June 2010. He killed his own twin brother first then drove about shooting and killing another 11 people before killing himself. Apparently a very nice guy as well.

So it would appear.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

I'm sure I've written this before but I was in that area when it was all kicking off. Very much a case if It could have been me considering he was taking pop shots at randoms. 

12 dead but it was a mundane loner going over the edge. It lacked the celebrity input Moaty had. If Bird had holed up in the Stan Laurel museum or kidnapped Gavin and Helen Skelton he might be up there with the great comedy murderers of the UK.

He was driving about asking people how their day was before pulling the shotgun out and shooting them.

Glad to hear he kept basic civilities even at a time of some tension, unlike most of the youth of today.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

12 dead but it was a mundane loner going over the edge. It lacked the celebrity input Moaty had. If Bird had holed up in the Stan Laurel museum or kidnapped Gavin and Helen Skelton he might be up there with the great comedy murderers of the UK.

Aye, the Gazza episode is probably the only reason the Raoul Moat thing has lived on in folk memory while the Cumbria one's pretty much been forgotten.

For the Cumbria shootings to stick in people's minds they really needed Melvyn Bragg showing up steaming at some point in the proceedings with cans, a bag of mixed pakora and a swingball set.