Cancel culture

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I'm getting the picture that anything said to you is evidence of your intelligence and ability to win the internet.

Good luck in your quest to get punted and, to save time, remember to let us know it's you when you open your new account.

That’s why I call it the Win-ternet.

There's a documentary called Scots in China on BBC4 tonight that I was going to watch until I saw the promotional material. I've hidden it in spoiler tags for obvious reasons. Does this mean I'm a signed up member of the Cancel Culture and do I get a badge?

Spoiler

one.jpg.f64c0d4371f6737a3b0709fde9e58177.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Pub in Linlithgow changing it’s name from The Black Bitch to The Black Hound due to racist connotations. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-59494786

Again...not cancel culture. And certainly not worthy of attention from a national news source.

Lovely quote here from petition signe Alan Sneddon:

He said people "from and born in Linlithgow are actually called black bitches and it's seen as a very high term of honour within the town".

I look forward to explaining this to an industrial tribunal once I have been sacked for referring to my Linlithgow born female colleague as such.

On changing the name it's very obviously not cancel culture (unless the definition has once again stretched to include modernistation of any kind). If people didn't want massive pub chains to sand the edges off weird racist or mysogynist-sounding local traditions they should have drank in there before it got taken over 

On 30/11/2021 at 20:40, welshbairn said:

There's a documentary called Scots in China on BBC4 tonight that I was going to watch until I saw the promotional material. I've hidden it in spoiler tags for obvious reasons. Does this mean I'm a signed up member of the Cancel Culture and do I get a badge?

Reveal hidden contents

one.jpg.f64c0d4371f6737a3b0709fde9e58177.jpg

If you changed your mind and watched this what does it say about Charles Gordon?

Lovely quote here from petition signe Alan Sneddon:
He said people "from and born in Linlithgow are actually called black bitches and it's seen as a very high term of honour within the town".
I look forward to explaining this to an industrial tribunal once I have been sacked for referring to my Linlithgow born female colleague as such.
On changing the name it's very obviously not cancel culture (unless the definition has once again stretched to include modernistation of any kind). If people didn't want massive pub chains to sand the edges off weird racist or mysogynist-sounding local traditions they should have drank in there before it got taken over 
I dont know LOADS of folk from Linlithgow, but have known a few over the years.

I have never once heard them refer/be referred to as a Black Bitch.

5 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

For anyone interested, there is a Channel 4 documentary  about Cancel Culture on tonight at 10pm.

Richard Bacon presenting. I am not sure of his views on things, so I am not sure if we should boycott it  😉

Funny you mention Richard Bacon because he was cited by one culture war rag recently as an early victim of cancel culture after losing a job in children's television due to his well publicized use of class A drugs. Sounds like it'll be a very mature look at a very real problem, but you gotta feed those brain worms! 

14 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Funny you mention Richard Bacon because he was cited by one culture war rag recently as an early victim of cancel culture after losing a job in children's television due to his well publicized use of class A drugs. 

"Bacon was required to return his Blue Peter badge upon his dismissal". CBBC bosses were not fucking about. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

"Bacon was required to return his Blue Peter badge upon his dismissal". CBBC bosses were not fucking about. 

I've just read the Sun puff piece (not linking it obvs) and it seems that Bacon doesn't really have a grasp of what he's discussing (he says the phenomenon has been around since 2018 but it was at least a couple of years prior, arguably from #MeToo) and by the sounds of things a large part of the program is taken up with him asking a TikTok teen to go through his old tweets and point out slurs. Sounds like a great watch!

That's my favourite thing about big believers in this phenomenon is instead of like reading a book, watching something worthwhile or god forbid spending time with people you have to watch a confused middle aged talk radio host trying to remember his point; all because you're addicted to being mad online. Couldn't be me 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont know LOADS of folk from Linlithgow, but have known a few over the years.

I have never once heard them refer/be referred to as a Black Bitch.

Got one friend born and bred in Linlithgow, and the ‘black bitch’ thing is absolutely for real. Was actually at their house last week. I believe there’s another old school thing attached to Linlithgow, a saying along the lines of ‘if they were at Lithgae’ Brig, they’d be divoted’. I haven’t Googled this, my understanding is that it means, for example, if Boris Johnson came away with his shite patter in Linlithgow he’d be taken to the bridge and given pelters.

As I say, not Googled this, just from me being an old fart and having a friend of similar old fartage from Linlithgow. 🤪

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Got one friend born and bred in Linlithgow, and the ‘black bitch’ thing is absolutely for real. Was actually at their house last week. I believe there’s another old school thing attached to Linlithgow, a saying along the lines of ‘if they were at Lithgae’ Brig, they’d be divoted’. I haven’t Googled this, my understanding is that it means, for example, if Boris Johnson came away with his shite patter in Linlithgow he’d be taken to the bridge and given pelters.

As I say, not Googled this, just from me being an old fart and having a friend of similar old fartage from Linlithgow. 🤪

Never mind cancelling, I’m all for the nuclear annihilation of Linlithgow on the back of this. 

23 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Never mind cancelling, I’m all for the nuclear annihilation of Linlithgow on the back of this. 

I find this a pleasant change from folk wanting my adopted hometown of Cumbernauld nuked. Very refreshing. 😜

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

A friend of mine lived there for a few years, and I remember him saying that was the collective demonym for the locals - I think their coat of arms is a black dog tied to a tree. Old habits die hard in some areas...apparently they also still refer to natives of Bo'ness as beggars purely because something like 400 years ago when it was a poor fishing village in hard times the locals would come over the flints to beg in Linlithgow which was a relatively affluent royal burgh.

15 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

For anyone interested, there is a Channel 4 documentary  about Cancel Culture on tonight at 10pm.

Richard Bacon presenting. I am not sure of his views on things, so I am not sure if we should boycott it  😉

I didn't watch it. Should Richard Bacon change his name to Richard Gammon or not then?