SPFL Famous Family XI

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Is Ryan Christie ruled out based on the fact that he's probably more famous already than Charlie ever was?

Nah not on that basis, Jackie McNamara is in the team despite being more successful than his dad. But it can be argued that Jackie Sr. was better known throughout his career than Charlie Christie and I'm basing the team on the reputation and abilities of the relative rather than the offspring.

He's been placed in the honourable mentions column.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Baldur Bett. Dons and Peterhead. Son of Jim. 

Presumably won't make either team but the criteria are all over the place so I thought I'd give it a shot. 

Cracker of a shout.

He'd have been a shoo in if he'd picked to play for Scotland rather than Iceland.

As it is though, Jim doesn't have the name power to let his boy force his way into the international XI.

A reverse Sergei Baltacha, if you will. Sergei stoats it into the Scottish XI on the power of his old man's reputation but wouldn't have made it to the the international XI when up against the Seedorfs and Djorkaeffs of this world.

Edited by djchapsticks

If Roger Boli, brother of Basil, doesn't make it in I'll be gutted.

Signed by United in the late 90s, made a few underwhelming appearances, and disappeared.

Edit to add Wikipedia claims we paid 150k for him. The money sloshing around at that time has a lot to answer for.

Don't know if I've met the criteria here, but could Jamie Buchan (Aberdeen), son of Martin Buchan (Aberdeen & Man. U) be included? 

Interestingly (or not) Jamie Buchan's grandfather, Martin Buchan Snr., also played for Aberdeen, as well as his other son, George Buchan.

@kingjoey @Jacksgranda @Sheep62 will correct me if I'm wrong! 

When he was Motherwell manager, Billy Davies signed his brother, John. Now that was a universally well received signing by the ‘Well fans, especially when we got to watch him strut his stuff at Fir Park. 

Scott Stewart, Arbroath, son of Sandy, Airdrie.

Sandy and Nicky Clark, 

The Whitefords Derek, John and Davie, two brothers and a cousin, multiple clubs between them.

Willie and David McGuire.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Good thread, but a couple of points:

1 - Is that true about Hasselbaink actually not being related to Jimmy Floyd? I had never heard the possibility that it is fake news before. 

2 - Even if true, please put some respect on his name :wub:

I remember Jimmy being a bit miffed when asked about him and claiming that he'd never heard of him. 

Suppose it's not outwith the realms that there's still a family connection somewhere and he definitely used the name to his advantage in his younger days. 

39 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Don't know if I've met the criteria here, but could Jamie Buchan (Aberdeen), son of Martin Buchan (Aberdeen & Man. U) be included? 

Interestingly (or not) Jamie Buchan's grandfather, Martin Buchan Snr., also played for Aberdeen, as well as his other son, George Buchan.

@kingjoey @Jacksgranda @Sheep62 will correct me if I'm wrong! 

Pretty sure that you’re spot on Golden.

4 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Indeed he is

As a complete aside his father (Martin) and his uncle George both played for Man Utd at the same time albeit only very briefly

I forgot about that! Pretty sure George wouldn't have got too many, if any, starts with Manchester United. It's maybe my memory playing tricks on me, but I don't remember George getting too many starts with us. Loads of substitute appearances. 

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I forgot about that! Pretty sure George wouldn't have got too many, if any, starts with Manchester United. It's maybe my memory playing tricks on me, but I don't remember George getting too many starts with us. Loads of substitute appearances. 

You're right K.J. Sure I once read that George played less than 10 times for Man Utd but sure that at some point during those games both him and Martin would have been on the pitch together