WoSFL Premier Division thread

I was going to ask about that - no further groundshares on grass.....so they could continue next season.
Yeah they can continue as already in place but obviously creates massive problems for him as fixture secretary and probably can't wait until Kirkintilloch Rob Roy get their own ground sorted due to all the postponements on their pitch as he says grass pitches can't cope with Scottish weather plus constant games no break for pitch to get repaired when teams ground sharing like Rob Roy and Cumbernauld.

Some of the chat from Paul the new Carluke manager on not having new teams in the same area as existing teams was way off in my opinion and just seemed to be unhappy that more ambitious new teams with new money and not good old fashioned Junior teams would nick his better players. Irvine has had 2 Junior and now senior teams for over 100 years - we are completely different levels and usually in a different market for different standard of players as would Blantyre Victoria / new Blantyre team & Kilsyth Rangers / Kilsyth Athletic etc. Although if a top player comes through at Irvine Victoria for example then Meadow and other teams would have a look but not in the same market. It's great having two teams in the own town for a rivalry and getting the full town out for derby games as they do at Marymass. I am sure Kilsyth would love their own Marymass game to get 800-1000 fans in at start of the season [emoji23]

In my opinion great to see new teams in the league as long as they have a suitable ground, facilities and team to compete then more than welcome - hopefully on a good grass pitch and not ground sharing but obviously that can't always happen.
Also Rossvale, Gartcairn and I am sure others may have joined the old Juniors in the final years so Juniors didn't stop new teams joining but just was a rare occurrence as didn't really advertise for any new teams to join up.

There are already multiple barriers to entry. More so than in amateur football where there might be the concern of a club arising out of thin air, and just as quickly disappearing.

Most of the clubs that have entered the WoSFL that didn't come from a Junior background already existed. Either in the amateurs or at youth level. It seems they're more attracted by the potential stability of the WoSFL and Lowland Development League compared to the more fractured amateur/u21s leagues of West Central Scotland.

As there's going to be a minimum 4 tiers to the WoSFL from next season i'm not sure there's going to be many clubs that enter splashing the cash. As it will be a long road for any vanity project.

18 hours ago, Shannon said:
18 hours ago, Shannon said:
Kennie confirmed on down the divisions podcast that no further ground sharing on grass parks for any teams only allowed on 4g pitches. Some other really interesting stuff on that latest episode from Kennie from around 52 mins onwards.

The likes of Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld allowed currently but I think he is obviously hoping that finishes soon.

Rob Roy's new ground is now under construction and supposed to be finished in September, so they should be sorted for next season.

15 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

The guy (Paul I think) talking a power of sh1te about stopping teams coming depending on where they are based, such as Blantyre and Kilsyth, but it’s ok if you are in Glasgow because there are more players. 

To be fair I think those places were mentioned only because they have two established WOS clubs now with a rumoured new entrant and a new Division 4 team from the same towns. Though he also said that Motherwell and Hamilton don't fill their grounds - not sure what he was proposing, a combined North Lanarkshire club?

But @Kennie was correct in saying, where do you draw the line?

All three clubs who have been promoted into the SPFL have came from places which already have SPFL clubs nearby - should they have been told they can't be promoted into the league?

If there are enough players and fans to support two non-league teams in the same town then I don't see much of an issue. What's the difference to a town which has a WOSFL club along with an amateur club - apart from the amateur club's ground not meeting the criteria?

The problem is also below the WOSFL, where the fractured nature of four amateur leagues covering the Glasgow area means there isn't either a "top" league in an amateur pyramid or obvious regional leagues for clubs to move up/down from (like in the east).

For next season Kennie said that if there's not enough teams left to support a Division 4 then the clubs could go into Division 3 but without a chance of promotion. Which is sensible and presumably it would be in two conferences so that you could then get a linear Division 3 and 4 based on merit for 2023-24. 

However if the bottom WOSFL division contains clubs with that grounds don't meet the criteria, isn't that basically just a regionwide amateur league? 

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Rob Roy's new ground is now under construction and supposed to be finished in September, so they should be sorted for next season.

Wouldn't be too sure on that,

Rob Roy FC must pitch to play at new £5m Kirkintilloch sports complex | GlasgowWorld

Yes I am a bit confused by the whole KRR situation.From my reading of it there is no guarantee that the club will have any right to the new ground and there is now a petition protesting about this as the Council appear to be putting use and operation of the facility which they are developing out to tender.

So it appears that after what must now be almost a decade homeless the club are still in limbo.

Is the new ground almost complete now?

Would welcome any KRR fan confirming if my understanding of the position is correct-it seems a very difficult situation for the club.

19 minutes ago, drs said:

Just because KRR don't run it doesn't mean they can't play there though, especially with it being artificial then it can be played on all the time - there surely will be slots available every second Saturday even if another club runs it? (suggestions of Rossvale, Broomhill in another article)

And if it's being publicly funded then the council likely have to put it to tender rather than just award the running to KRR.

56 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Just because KRR don't run it doesn't mean they can't play there though, especially with it being artificial then it can be played on all the time - there surely will be slots available every second Saturday even if another club runs it? (suggestions of Rossvale, Broomhill in another article)

And if it's being publicly funded then the council likely have to put it to tender rather than just award the running to KRR.

Think the worry is it’s perfect for BSC or your rossvales etc who have some money behind them and could make a decent bid and control it for the next decade on. While it is a public funded build I think what they are arguing is that KRR should have some priority status given that they are from the town. It was also essentially their idea and been pushing for it since the start. 

On 26/02/2022 at 13:31, bigecumnock said:

Why does Mick Kennedy get pelters on here for expressing his opinions, personally I think it’s great, wish more managers would do the same. You just need to pick up the daily papers to see managers from the very top of our game giving their opinions.

Comparing a press interview with posting on a public forum is wrong. Doubtless many managers of other teams read forums but only one that I can see, from the WoSFL, posts. There’s a reason why those who don’t don’t and those who do do.

Edited by jimbaxters

18 minutes ago, Killiepiyo said:

Think the worry is it’s perfect for BSC or your rossvales etc who have some money behind them and could make a decent bid and control it for the next decade on. While it is a public funded build I think what they are arguing is that KRR should have some priority status given that they are from the town. It was also essentially their idea and been pushing for it since the start. 

Certainly seems to be the manager's concern with starting the petition. Broomhill, Rossvale and Glasgow City all getting namechecked. I don't know what the youth links of Rob Roy are like but I would say an overall advantage should go to them.

Broomhill lost the links to BSC Glasgow and use the likes of Scotstoun for their youth programmes. Rossvale youth teams have Huntershill. Presumably all they could offer is mainly first team use. While KRR could run all their programmes from there.

Did Rob Roy not contribute money to the new complex (from the sale of their old ground) or have I got that wrong

Pretty sure they still have a substantial amount of money in the bank from the sale of Adamslie according to an interview I read with the manager.

I had thought that the plan maybe was for the proceeds of the Adamslie sale to be used in building a new ground -but the big problem seems to be that Adamslie was sold with no idea what was going to happen next and hence the reason for the years of uncertainty.It is a salutary lesson to all clubs that selling your ground for big money might be appealing but you must have your new location lined up and a deal done on it before that happens.

6 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Pretty sure they still have a substantial amount of money in the bank from the sale of Adamslie according to an interview I read with the manager.

My point was more due to the fact if they had contributed financially they had a right to use the facility rather than the current state of their finances

11 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

I had thought that the plan maybe was for the proceeds of the Adamslie sale to be used in building a new ground -but the big problem seems to be that Adamslie was sold with no idea what was going to happen next and hence the reason for the years of uncertainty.It is a salutary lesson to all clubs that selling your ground for big money might be appealing but you must have your new location lined up and a deal done on it before that happens.

Plus dont use the money 2 fund the club and now u've no got a pot 2 piss into. I liked adamslie as i scored in a cup final there 2 seal the match 3-1 v airdrie supporters. I was only 18 at the time, great memories 

Mon the papers

20 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Did Rob Roy not contribute money to the new complex (from the sale of their old ground) or have I got that wrong

It's being funded by the council according to this https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/news/green-light-kirkintilloch-community-sports-complex-proceed - makes sense that the council does due diligence on who is going to operate it rather then just award the running to KRR.

Obviously a blow for Pollok having lost to their two big rivals recently but surprised at the defeatist stance that some of their fans have taken here. Loads of football to be played yet over a short period of time so no way should the auld pit towel be flung in yet.