Czech Republic v Scotland

Ultimately, although a 'B' team, they still have a squad full of players who play in their top League-4 from Sigma, 4 from Banik Ostrava, 4 from Slavia Prague, 1 from Slovan Liberec it seems. Some of their Under 21s making up the bench.

Won't be easy.

20 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Ultimately, although a 'B' team, they still have a squad full of players who play in their top League-4 from Sigma, 4 from Banik Ostrava, 4 from Slavia Prague, 1 from Slovan Liberec it seems. Some of their Under 21s making up the bench.

Won't be easy.

It is like saying the Scotland squad will be made up from 4 players from St Johnstone, 4 players from Livingston, 4 Celtic players that weren't good enough for the original squad and a player from Motherwell. 

It is players that will never ordinarily be near an international squad. 

But.........it is also players that will never ordinarily be near an international squad and may want to make the most of the opportunity. They will be playing against a team of folk who haven't played like that for some time. 

The Slavia players, Tecl is a reasonable player, doesn't score much for a forward. Holes (pronounced Holesh) and Karafiat are 3rd/4th  choice center halfs. Malinsky, signed in the summer as cover in midfield has yet to start this season. 

Hubnik played at a reasonable level all of his career but at 36, he is no Franco Baresi but has decent experience to see a younger player through the game, Hopefully he is more Charlie Mulgrew than Davie Weir in that respect. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It is like saying the Scotland squad will be made up from 4 players from St Johnstone, 4 players from Livingston, 4 Celtic players that weren't good enough for the original squad and a player from Motherwell. 

It is players that will never ordinarily be near an international squad. 

But.........it is also players that will never ordinarily be near an international squad and may want to make the most of the opportunity. They will be playing against a team of folk who haven't played like that for some time. 

As long as they aren't playing against Callum McGregor or James Forrest it should be fine

9 hours ago, Jedi said:

Won't be easy.

Yes it will

20 hours ago, the snudge said:

Has there been a historic issue between Slavia and the Czech FA? I went to a Slavia game a few years ago and the game was delayed part way through it due to fans protesting the FA. The team captain came into the crowd to calm things so the game could be played out with Slavia being 3-0 up. I think it was against Sigma funnily enough. Seems tensions are always high between Slavia and the Czech FA

Not really - almost all Czech fans hate the FAČR, which is widely viewed as incompetent and corrupt. Take last season's top flight playoff, for instance, where it's pretty much universally accepted that the referee was biased in favour of the association's preferred team in order to keep them in the top flight. The reason Slavia are kicking up such a fuss is that they don't want anything to happen which may affect their squad, with Champions League qualifiers at the end of the month and what could be a real challenge from Sparta Prague for the title this season. 

I'd be surprised if Sparta midfielder Ladislav Krejčí (the younger one) wouldn't be a shout for starting on Monday. On a personal note it would be interesting to see him as part of a Czech lineup with Antonín Růsek and Ondřej Pachlopník, Zbrojovka Brno's new hotly-tipped talents, but that might be a stretch.  We'll almost certainly see a Czech XI comprised entirely from the domestic top flight.

7 minutes ago, Menzel said:

I'd be surprised if Sparta midfielder Ladislav Krejčí (the younger one) wouldn't be a shout for starting on Monday. On a personal note it would be interesting to see him as part of a Czech lineup with Antonín Růsek and Ondřej Pachlopník, Zbrojovka Brno's new hotly-tipped talents, but that might be a stretch.  We'll almost certainly see a Czech XI comprised entirely from the domestic top flight.

You certainly seem to know what you’re talking about.

What standard is this team comparable to? How much European or international experience do they have?

From a spectrum of  “incredibly embarrassing to them”, to “incredibly embarrassing to us”, how does a 1-0 win either way sit?

I now sense this is an absolute must win, as no matter the result, there will be no benefit given to Clarke on this.

22 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Not really - almost all Czech fans hate the FAČR, which is widely viewed as incompetent and corrupt. Take last season's top flight playoff, for instance, where it's pretty much universally accepted that the referee was biased in favour of the association's preferred team in order to keep them in the top flight. The reason Slavia are kicking up such a fuss is that they don't want anything to happen which may affect their squad, with Champions League qualifiers at the end of the month and what could be a real challenge from Sparta Prague for the title this season. 

What were the preferred team of the FA? Is there highlights of the game you're referring to? Is Czech football as bonkers as the SPFL? Sorry for all the questions but it's intriguing 

I can't remember the game but I remember some young goalkeeper being pulled out of nowhere to make his debut against us, rather than being a nervous wreck he pulled of a few worldy saves & we lost, we are about to face 11 times him clearly, it's what we do.

6 minutes ago, the snudge said:

What were the preferred team of the FA? Is there highlights of the game you're referring to? Is Czech football as bonkers as the SPFL? Sorry for all the questions but it's intriguing 

FK Přibram - their chairman, a man named Jaroslav Starka, used to be one of the bigwigs within the association. A couple of reports here which might be of interest, you can probably get through them with Google translate: 

https://www.lidovky.cz/sport/nazory/komentar-sudi-se-vsem-vysmali-v-primem-prenosu-v-lize-svymi-chybami-udrzeli-pribram-i-karvinou.A190603_184520_ln-sport-nazory_lar

https://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/muj-isport-blogy-redaktori-lukas-tomek/364409/a-zarez-jako-brno-na-zaver-ardeleanu-v-barazi-poskodil-zbrojovku.html

Czech football at the high levels, quite like Scotland, is incredibly self-serving. There are a few instances of nonsense over the years. 

14 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

You certainly seem to know what you’re talking about.

What standard is this team comparable to? How much European or international experience do they have?

From a spectrum of  “incredibly embarrassing to them”, to “incredibly embarrassing to us”, how does a 1-0 win either way sit?

I now sense this is an absolute must win, as no matter the result, there will be no benefit given to Clarke on this.

That's a tricky question, actually: from the proposed squad I've seen, you have pretty much zero significant international experience besides Roman Hubník, who is 36 and last appeared during the disastrous Euro 2016 campaign. Quite a few players capped at U21 level, but haven't featured for the national side. The squad does seem to be highly speculative, though - I'd expect a real mix of more solid league players (I don't think it's too unfair to say that the Czech league is around or slightly above the Scottish level) and some of the regular youth set-up. Scotland really are going in as favourites here (latest betting market from the Czech bookies below)  and any result from a Czech side would be treated with a fair bit of surprise.  As we all know, though, when you're against Scotland you're never too far away from getting something. 

118890719_343538870350551_2051378943599938043_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=nR1NiuV_R90AX_6_J3b&_nc_ht=scontent-prg1-1.xx&oh=cc1239adb61e63fe365b96762db2e1e1&oe=5F78A494