Your Country Needs You.

ZingaliMan

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 20:35, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Nice you've got that little money making niche up in the Highlands! These cottages are definitely the way forward for exploring Scotland, the B&Bs as I've mentioned previously are not up to scratch and personally I don't like the idea of staying in a strangers home which B&Bs generally are. Maybe I'm too used to hotels, with my job I usually rack up atleast 2 months of overnight stays in hotels over Europe and beyond and become used to a standard. 

I agree with you on B&Bs. I've stayed in a few through the years and the standard of the accommodation has been high and the hosts are always welcoming but I still feel I'm intruding in someone's private home.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ticket, trains and hotel booked for the playoff against Israel at the start of October, and obviously nobody is getting to the game now.

Since I have the time off work and haven't left the Greater Inverness Metropolitan Area since March, I have decided to travel anyway (COVID restrictions permitting) and spend a long weekend in Glasgow and then bike the Great Glen Way from Fort William back to Inverness.

I have never really spent much time in Glasgow, so does anybody have recommendations for what to do over the long weekend? I would have liked to have done the Central Station tour, but they aren't operating at the moment.

Currently standing at Chanonry Point on the last day of a week’s motorhome hire. Been pretty splendiferous all week and I’ll probably post the highlights in a couple of days as it’s too much hassle posting anything except phone pics. Not really in a hurry to see another motorhome though apart from the one I’m in...

I have a ticket, trains and hotel booked for the playoff against Israel at the start of October, and obviously nobody is getting to the game now.
Since I have the time off work and haven't left the Greater Inverness Metropolitan Area since March, I have decided to travel anyway (COVID restrictions permitting) and spend a long weekend in Glasgow and then bike the Great Glen Way from Fort William back to Inverness.
I have never really spent much time in Glasgow, so does anybody have recommendations for what to do over the long weekend? I would have liked to have done the Central Station tour, but they aren't operating at the moment.
The Oscar Marzaroli exhibition is open and is worth half an hour of your day. http://www.streetlevelphotoworks.org/event/oscar-marzaroli

Short walk from there to West Brewery for socially distanced pints inside the beautiful Templeton Buildings. https://www.westbeer.com/westonthegreen/

The Kelvingrove Museum is worth a visit if you've never been. Quite a haphazard selection of artefacts, from Van Gogh to Dali to Spitfires to stuffed elephants to plastercast gurning faces on the roof. https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/venues/kelvingrove-art-gallery-and-museum

If you want to get away from the throng, the parks are excellent. My favourite is Pollok Country Park, just near Ibrox but don't let that deter you. https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=16592

If you have a lot of time on your hands, a good pair of walking shoes and a fancy for making a completely pointless quest to walk around Glasgow in a massive football themed circle, check my post on Photographic History of Scottish Football thread yesterday. Picture of my route attached.

If you fancy a shorter walk, picking up this Walk Highlands route and walking as far out as you fancy is not a bad idea. I'd definitely recommend you walk at least out to Maryhill Locks following this path. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/kelvin-walkway.shtmlScreenshot_20200926_202639_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpeg

Very photographer-biased suggestions...The cloisters at Glasgow Uni are worth a look and not far from the Kelvingrove. The Lighthouse in Mitchell Lane just off Buchanan Street is good if you like getting up high for a view. The Riverside Museum for the contents and the building itself. Central Station west of the 'Hielanman's Umbrella'. Never actually tried taking photos inside but it's a fabby impressive building too. The People's Palace is just a stroll from the West brewery. 

I'll sound like a total tourist but the open top bus tour is decent value and like anywhere else you can spin it out for 24 hours. The pubs are great but I got shot down last time for mentioning the wrong ones 😂

On 16/08/2020 at 19:23, Stu said:

Did you go to Portpatrick? Been the last couple of years for a weekend but doesn't look doable this year, which is a shame as I love going to The Crown for dinner.

Portpatrick booked for next weekend, as is The Crown for the Saturday night. Think this whole trip has been arranged purely so me and the missus can share a seafood platter, which is fine by me.

Had a cracking day out in Kirkcudbright today, lived there for a few years and forgot how good it was. Brilliant breakfast in The Belfry, then a lovely walk, followed by ice cream and a wander round the farmers' market. This part of the world is definitely worth a visit if you've not been.

On 23/09/2020 at 00:05, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Forgot to say, there's also the Mural Trail if you like a walk and hate spending money...

If you can be arsed looking you can get excellent self catering accommodation for not a huge amount of cash. We're coming to the end of a fortnight in Skye then Laide which has worked out at about 450 each for two very well appointed cottages in superb locations (we usually spend about 300 each but decided to push the boat out a bit this year). Never been a fan of B&Bs or hotels tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent the second half of last week down in Galloway again, first in the Machars peninsula (?) before setting up base in Creetown. I stayed at the Harbour Inn in Garlieston for a couple of nights and couldn't recommend it highly enough. The staff were so hospitable and board came with a huge and superb breakfast to set you up for the day. I ended up skipping lunch both days there as the evening meals were only being taken before half 5 with the current restrictions in place, so my food bill for each day worked out at just over a tenner. The food was good in the evening as well with a decent pint. 

The main selling point of the area is the scenery: the weather was mostly clear on Thursday and Friday morning and so the early views from the room over the harbour and the coast were superb. After the evening meal you could wander around the coastal path from the village for a few minutes to get some cracking dark skies to view with a Glayva-heavy hot toddy as well. During the day, I hiked along the coastal path past the remains of Cruggleton Castle and then around Burrow Head with great views over to the Isle of Man. Then I headed to the Steam Packet Inn on the Isle of Whithorn, which serves the local Five Kingdoms beers on tap. Excellent beer and a great place to visit at the Isle's harbour area. I picked up a few books in Wigtown before staying in Creetown for a couple of nights. The Sulwath brewery in Castle Douglas and Kirkcudbright on the final day were okay but the weather was a bit gloomier in the east and I wasn't really into doing much more travelling by that point on the trip so it was a bit meh compared to west Galloway. 

A couple of nights light camping on the Mull before the home comforts of the Harbour Inn would make a spectacular trip when there is a spell of good weather. I'll aim to go back there next year when people are foolishly trying to escape 7 billion midges for that one decent day in the West Highland summer.

Most of the pictures are too large to upload but here's the edge of the Isle of Whithorn anyway.

IMG_20201015_141209.thumb.jpg.2a5fd216882f7abf6ad4f022762e1546.jpg

The Galloway Smokehouse at Creetown is excellent. We went to the restaurant there on the way back from Portpatrick and are now trying to think of excuses to head west at the weekends so we can go again. Reasonably priced too.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice couple of days in Aberfoyle with Mrs Mantis last week. Stayed at the Rob Roy which I've stayed at before. I like the place though it's fairly basic. They seem to have a good chef at the moment though, name looks Polish. Dinner and breakfast were excellent.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

The weather is looking glorious for this weekend, so have booked up four days camping way down at Port William, right on the south coast. Possibly a longer stay in the area if the forecast holds into next week as well. 

Looking forward to swanning into Isle of Whithorn for a glorious pint at the Steam Packet already. 

On 12/07/2021 at 15:21, virginton said:

Looking forward to swanning into Isle of Whithorn for a glorious pint at the Steam Packet already. 

This may have to be added to the list of places to visit in the near future. I have ordered a few cases from Five Kingdoms over the last year and Captain Morrison and Renton are very, very drinkable.

I’m off to the East Neuk for a fortnight. Been going there since I was a very young person, lots to do, nice wee towns to wander round and plenty of good places to eat 

Diet starts 2nd August 

Edited to add, looks like it’s my fiftieth anniversary tour. First went my gran’s caravan in St Monans in 1971

Edited by Sonsrock

6 hours ago, Sonsrock said:

I’m off to the East Neuk for a fortnight. Been going there since I was a very young person, lots to do, nice wee towns to wander round and plenty of good places to eat 

Diet starts 2nd August 

Edited to add, looks like it’s my fiftieth anniversary tour. First went my gran’s caravan in St Monans in 1971

Been hanging off in the hope of getting a late booking to go abroad in September, but swaying more towards booking a pet friendly cottage at home instead, and the Neuk is where I'm thinking.

Spent years delivering around the area, starting around Burntisland and all the way up through the likes of Elie, Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail up to St Andrews and Leuchars. A cracking drive and all great wee places to visit. Never holidayed there though (bar a couple of nights camping at St Monans).

My main quandary though is where best to book as a base? I like the idea of the relative tranquility of somewhere like Crail for a complete break and peace and quiet,  but on the other hand, maybe St Andrews or something might be better for more choice of pubs and eateries at night.

Any thoughts as a veteran of the area?