Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Kicking my heels, close season until Euro 2024.

Kind of not bothered whether it's Hamilton or Inverness: Hamilton is nearer me. Inverness has novelty value but expensive away day.

Neither team in their current state is  a worry to me as far as running away with next season's league is concerned.

I am more wary of the impact of a revitalised Stenny and Dumbarton, the presence of both of which will make the league tougher than last year.

Throw the battered Smokies into the mix and it should make for an interesting season ahead.

Posted (edited)

Is batchelor expected to be going back to the juniors or do you think there's a chance he might end up at station park? Or even Brechin as a Grady McGrath replacement?

Edited by ScottishLoon

4 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Is batchelor expected to be going back to the juniors or do you think there's a chance he might end up at station park? Or even Brechin as a Grady McGrath replacement?

We will need to appoint a new Manager before deciding on new players coming in - I have heard a wee rumour that with Price punted Grady might be staying put

42 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Juniors I think, unfortunately he’s no where near good enough for even highland league which is a shame as he always put in 100% effort

17 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

I'd heard he is away back to the juniors also Carnoustie or Kirrie Thistle is my guess where he will end up.

Grady McGrath is another I would like to see in a Mo top next year be interesting to see where he ends up.

Well after 196 appearances for the Mo Liam Callaghan has now left the building.

Can't say I'm overly bothered to be honest he was a good player on his day but sadly we just didn't see enough of that in L1 certainly....All the best to him.

Would be nice to see a few signings over the line the next couple days/weeks.We aren't too bad for numbers but definitely need to freshing things up and add some quality to the squad.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, mo83 said:

Can't say I'm overly bothered to be honest he was a good player on his day but sadly we just didn't see enough of that in L1 certainly....All the best to him.

Would be nice to see a few signings over the line the next couple days/weeks.We aren't too bad for numbers but definitely need to freshing things up and add some quality to the squad.

A player I never really rated, never saw him do anything that couldn't be done better by someone else in the squad.

I think I'm in the minority there though. SP was clearly a fan, and I'd wager he knows a lot more about football than me, thankfully.

Edited by groaninjock

20 hours ago, mo83 said:

Going to East Fife I heard.

21 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Going to East Fife I heard.

Decent move if he does go probably his level 👍

Posted (edited)

"League One looks particularly poor next season, with just yourselves (ICT) and a poor Queen of the South side as the sole FT clubs, so it really should be an easy division for Inverness to win - but you just can't see it working."

Words of "wisdom" from Ray Patterson, an Arabs fan on the Championship forum.

Based on what I saw of ICT over the two legs of the playoffs against us, I think this man is clueless.

I've said it before but other than Lawal, a loan player, ICT weren't that impressive.

I think the League next season is looking very competitive with no clear hot  favourites.

The quote above was related to ICT's proposed move to train at Kelty.

Where do the Mo train currently? I know they used to train at Perth but I have also heard they occasionally use the Oriam.

Edited by Brummo
?'s

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

"League One looks particularly poor next season, with just yourselves (ICT) and a poor Queen of the South side as the sole FT clubs...

...I think this man is clueless.

Given that Cove Rangers haven't announced a return to part time football I'm inclined to agree with you.

4 hours ago, Brummo said:

"League One looks particularly poor next season, with just yourselves (ICT) and a poor Queen of the South side as the sole FT clubs, so it really should be an easy division for Inverness to win - but you just can't see it working."

Based on what I saw of ICT over the two legs of the playoffs against us, I think this man is clueless.

I've said it before but other than Lawal, a loan player, ICT weren't that impressive.

I think the League next season is looking very competitive with no clear hot  favourites.

Where do the Mo train currently? I know they used to train at Perth but I have also heard they occasionally use the Oriam.

I believe it is still Perth but they train at Oriam if the weather is too dangerous to travel

On 25/05/2024 at 13:54, Brummo said:

I believe it’s one night in Perth and one night in Dundee usually, unless it’s changed again. 

Posted (edited)

Usual bleedin' hearts nonsense on BBC Sportsound about the "demise" of ICT following the Premiership Playoff Final non-event at Dingwall yesterday.

Arguably a "city" the size of Inverness could support a local team at a higher level than the First Division but I never hear of anyone shedding tears when Stirling Albion gets relegated to League Two. According to Wikipedia, Stirling is bigger than Inverness, even allowing for recent growth to the latter.

Ross County have thrived because of Roy MacGregor and his willingness to pump cash into the project. It is an anomaly which allows the club to over perform, given the population of Dingwall and the surrounding area.

There is no way a team in the Highlands could compete in the Premiership without the "Roy" factor.

The main reason for the sentimental gush surrounding ICT's relegation is that the Highlands will be losing their team.

It was a very different response to that a few years back when the press and others were quick to put the boot in to Brechin City and its appeal to play in the Lowland League.

The "ignorami" that is the sports media and press in Scotland generally hold football in Angus in contempt - "Merge Angus" being the stock response to developing the game north of Dundee.

Angus clubs are at a disadvantage both in terms of population size and geographical location and we lack the "Highlands" sentimental factor. I wouldn't mind if a local benefactor of the likes of Roy MacGregor stepped in to boost the club's fortunes but that is really Lala Land.

It is better for the club to gain traction on and off the pitch through improving its links with the local community and getting future generations of supporters going to matches at Links Park instead of Celtic Park or Ibrox.

We may never achieve top flight, full-time status like ICT or Ross County or get the degree of attention or sympathy these clubs get but I would still like to see further progress towards building sustainable success at the club in the years to come.

The town could really do with more of a feel good factor, that's for sure.

Edited by Brummo

So Luke Graham has been promoted to our first team squad. What was he like for you? What type of CH is he? He seems on the smaller side.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

So Luke Graham has been promoted to our first team squad. What was he like for you? What type of CH is he? He seems on the smaller side.

There was a Mo fan on our thread the other day saying he was going on loan to either us or Raith. I'd be quite happy with that as I liked the look of him.

Left sided, comfortable on the ball and fine with the physical side of the game. Not as impressive as Sam Fisher was for Dunfermline the previous season as he's not as quick or aggressive as Fisher but still a good prospect.

Edited by FFC 1876

agree with all that's said above. he's becoming an excellent defender.

i was impressed with him at Albion Rovers last year and would have been delighted if we could have landed him on loan for the season just gone by. 

he improved again from what i saw of him this season. 

With a few departures (e.g. Graham, Callaghan, Bachelor) that leaves room for at least a couple of new boys in. As well as the youngsters are progressing, in my opinion our priority is to sign a couple of more mature players. I know we have several older players as well but with youth and experience we also need a 'middle' age of mature player to add solidarity to the squad. I'm thinking of a target man who can hold the ball and feed it off as well as someone who can get on the end of crosses. The young lad we've signed from the University team might be Ok but I still think we need a more mature guy as we were sadly lacking that last season. I also think we need an attacking midfielder to play alongside Gardyne and Watson when he is fit. I saw a couple of such players playing for the Binos last season who could fit that slot and blend in with our existing squad. In terms of defence it depends on how Kerr Waddell is doing - if he is fit then great but if not we are a bit wafer thin and maybe another loan defender would suffice meantime.

In a nutshell my plan would go for more experience to help sustain another League 1 season until the youngsters are ready to fill the gaps. At present I don't think they are but bit by bit some will prove me wrong BUT some maybe won't.